Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Ndless 4.2 is out!

Started by Yuki, February 19, 2016, 09:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

It's working! <insert mad scientist laugh here>

Remember the big red warning in my last news about Nspire OS 4.2? Well, I guess it lasted only a good 3 days. That was fast.

Indeed, Ndless 4.2, working on the OS 4.2 that has been released 3 days ago, which is an answer to Ndless 4.0 released about a month and a half ago, has been released. The cat and mouse game is going strong these days, it seems.

Installation is the same as 4.0, you can even refer word-by-word to the Ndless 4.0.3 news and replace the version number with 4.2.

Download it here!
Official website
Tutorial by TI-Planet
Source code
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

That was definitively fast and I'm glad the install process is identical to 4.0.3 rather than 3.9. 3.9 was so annoying to install, thanks to TI's actions. Hopefully OS 4.3 doesn't come out tomorrow (maybe Ndless 4.2 record speed release will make TI also break their OS release speed record? <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

rwill

So I tried running nQuake with a new ndless and it appears that
the usable stack size shrunk to around 53kb. This makes nQuake
crash. As 53kb is somewhat low for any program I wondered if it
would be possible for ndless to increase the amount of stack
available to programs, most likely by pointing the stack to
an ndless allocated region and then restoring the real stack
when entering syscalls.

I can wrap the syscalls myself for nQuake but nQuake can hardly
be the only application where such a small stack size is
a problem..

Dream of Omnimaga

What's the minimum stack size required by nQuake?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

rwill

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2016, 04:01:10 PM
What's the minimum stack size required by nQuake?

Well I can only guess but it worked with around 56k. Unmodified WinQuake was around 600k...

Vogtinator

Quote from: rwill on April 30, 2016, 09:57:44 AM
So I tried running nQuake with a new ndless and it appears that
the usable stack size shrunk to around 53kb. This makes nQuake
crash. As 53kb is somewhat low for any program I wondered if it
would be possible for ndless to increase the amount of stack
available to programs, most likely by pointing the stack to
an ndless allocated region and then restoring the real stack
when entering syscalls.

I can wrap the syscalls myself for nQuake but nQuake can hardly
be the only application where such a small stack size is
a problem..

I can confirm the issue. SP is at 0x1800d488 on 4.2 CX CAS, so there are 0xd488 bytes of available stack space.
It should be possible to increase it by either using a different stack or map some more space at 0x17ffX000.
I'll try both and figure out what's the best option here.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

bluman855

Sorry for the extreme necro, but is this problem resolved? I am on a non CAS Nspire CX, and the calculator reboots when I try to run nquake.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hi and welcome here bluman855. I can't help you but hopefully @Vogtinator can. It seems that @Legimet has been active recently on the Ndless repo, so maybe he might know if that issue was resolved yet.

Vogtinator

Quote from: bluman855 on November 01, 2016, 04:21:16 AM
Sorry for the extreme necro, but is this problem resolved? I am on a non CAS Nspire CX, and the calculator reboots when I try to run nquake.

The issue hasn't been resolved yet, as the underlying cause is fairly complex. However, I've got two weeks of vacation now so hopefully I'll be able to look into this in the next few days!
The approach of mapping additional pages is likely the best one, as it means not having to fiddle with sp at all. It just needs some modification to the nucleus task struct, so that the OS doesn't think that it overflowed.

Vogtinator

It was actually much less work than I thought, this ndless_resources adds 128k of additional stack space before running programs on OS >= 4.2.
Please test and report back!

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool. Hopefully this resolves compatibility issues.

On a side note I wonder if it would be easy to add backward compatibility support with Ndless 1.0, 1.1, 1.7, 2.0, 2.1 programs and emulate grayscale mode with them?

critor

Note to those who have to update to OS 4.3 for some reason (latest version mandatory for some exams for example), and still haven't done so yet.

With the above latest Ndless 4.2r2006 release, there is a way to update to OS 4.3 and keep Ndless. :D

If your calculator is hardware revision V or older, check the tutorial : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=19185 ;)