Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Raspberry Pi 2

Started by novenary, February 02, 2015, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

Eyup, it's a thing. They (finally) upgraded that piece of trash they called a CPU, and upgraded the RAM to 1GB. Thatd pretty much all but I'm definitely buying it. :D

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah! Quad core for 35$. Your turns Casio and Ti.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wow, that's awesome now. I was always reluctant about buying one before because of the RAM and I feared that CPU speed might eventually become a problem for me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, I just saw it, I should definitely buy one now that the specs are awesome enough for $35.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Keoni29

I hope they ever make a pi with a sata interface, cause SD cards are incredibly slow.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Dream of Omnimaga

Really? I didn'tvrealize they were. One thing that would rule is a RPi with a SSD, but then it would cost much more.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Yeah, I was already considering buying one but this definitely pushed me over the line.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Snektron

That looks nice :o. Too bad i don't even do anything with my b+ :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Quote from: Keoni29 on February 02, 2015, 01:32:07 PM
I hope they ever make a pi with a sata interface, cause SD cards are incredibly slow.
Maybe the Banana Pi ?

Aldo lol Cumred, my b r2 is just gonna remain a gamecube modchip for the rest of its poor life. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

That reminds me, is it possible to build a desktop computer or something that can almost completely function like one just from a RPi? I mean putting the mobo inside the computer case and connecting all the missing components.

Yuki

I tried once with a friend's Pi, this is possible, you just have to plug a screen, keyboard and mouse in and there you go. But that would be pretty slow, due to the SD card.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. What if that computer just ran something like Mint and was only used to play NES/SNES/N64 games?

Yuki

If you don't run X, that would probably be doable.

By the way, Microsoft announced Windows 10 would run on it. For free. So you can now buy a good computer for only $35?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, do you mean Windows 10 is free or is it free only for RPi users? If that's the case, then I would rather go with it so it's easier to play my older games.

Yuki

Only the RPi version would be free. (They also said something about free upgrades on desktops, but that's another story.) Microsoft now have an Internet of Things (IoT) program that encourages development on boards such as the RPi, apparently.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN