Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

3D games on 8/16-bit consoles

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 19, 2016, 03:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Old gaming consoles were not designed for 3D graphics, even pseudo 3D, but some developers managed to pull off some neat tricks to achieve it without severe speed loss. One game that kinda impressed me was Red Zone for the Sega Genesis:

My favorite parts are the indoor missions. Look at the walls O.O. It reminds me of Toy Story floor and stuff. I am curious about what kind of special chip the cartridge uses, if any, because it literally looks like a Playstation 1 or Sega Saturn game. Anyway, has any 3D game on old game consoles blew your mind before? Another game that impressed me due to its time was Solaris for the Atari 2600:

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 19, 2016, 03:13:12 AM
My favorite parts are the indoor missions. Look at the walls O.O. It reminds me of Toy Story floor and stuff. I am curious about what kind of special chip the cartridge uses, if any, because it literally looks like a Playstation 1 or Sega Saturn game.

I would suggest everything is 2D sprites (the helicopter etc) except for the sides of the walls, and (in the outdoor missions) the terrain. I would reckon maybe these were fast assembler polygon code. They are very lo-res though. You are right though it might use a chip. Don't know. Like it though
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

c4ooo

Well, the top of the wall is a sprite, and the sides are fairly simple polygons. I would imagine this could work fairly easily on the monochrome TI84 :)

gameblabla

Yeah, Red Zone has some great 3D graphics for the console. (I also like the b&w intro too with the angry dictator)
On the Sega Genesis, i feel like i should mention Star Cruiser :

Too bad its north american release was cancelled tho...

Of course, i should mention the Wolfenstein 3D port by gasega68k as well as Virtua Racing that is using the SVP chip.
(SVP does not stand for "s'il vous plait" tho, it's too bad)

One thing useful for 3D games that can be done on the Genesis is to upgrade the 68k processor.
You can put a 68010 10Mhz inside of this thing. And yes, it still works with the Sega CD & 32X.
Here's Hard Driving on a 68010 proc :
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

aetios

Not the most graphically impressive nowadays, but still a very fun game: Star Fox for the SNES. (Star Wing in europe <_<)
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: kotu on October 19, 2016, 03:23:05 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 19, 2016, 03:13:12 AM
My favorite parts are the indoor missions. Look at the walls O.O. It reminds me of Toy Story floor and stuff. I am curious about what kind of special chip the cartridge uses, if any, because it literally looks like a Playstation 1 or Sega Saturn game.

I would suggest everything is 2D sprites (the helicopter etc) except for the sides of the walls, and (in the outdoor missions) the terrain. I would reckon maybe these were fast assembler polygon code. They are very lo-res though. You are right though it might use a chip. Don't know. Like it though
Yeah, I suspect that they use parallax scrolling there, with small 3D polygons as you say. Probably the same thing in Toy Story. Still impressive effect, since it runs smooth. Also I agree with c4ooo. Otherwise if 3D is impossible that way, what you could do is just use lines to connect the top of corners/edges together with the floor. As for the intro, it was probably compressed into 1-bit colors with the background being transparent so that actual colored backgrounds could be drawn. I love it.
Quote from: gameblabla on October 20, 2016, 12:26:21 AM
Yeah, Red Zone has some great 3D graphics for the console. (I also like the b&w intro too with the angry dictator)
On the Sega Genesis, i feel like i should mention Star Cruiser :

Too bad its north american release was cancelled tho...

Of course, i should mention the Wolfenstein 3D port by gasega68k as well as Virtua Racing that is using the SVP chip.
(SVP does not stand for "s'il vous plait" tho, it's too bad)

One thing useful for 3D games that can be done on the Genesis is to upgrade the 68k processor.
You can put a 68010 10Mhz inside of this thing. And yes, it still works with the Sega CD & 32X.
Here's Hard Driving on a 68010 proc :

Also Gameblabla Star Cruiser looks kinda cool actually. It seems like an hybrid between Star Trek, some RPGs and Star Fox.

Quote from: aeTIos on October 20, 2016, 01:13:18 AM
Not the most graphically impressive nowadays, but still a very fun game: Star Fox for the SNES. (Star Wing in europe <_<)
Yeah. I don't get why people hate on that game. I mean, the SNES was not designed for 3D. That said, I wish Star Fox 2 came out, because it ran much smoother due to using SFX2.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U