Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Omega for Numworks, the next evolution of Epsilon!

Started by quentinguidee, June 11, 2020, 09:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quentinguidee

Omega for Numworks

I present to you a project that we have been working on for almost a year with, among others: MixedMatched, RedGl0w, boricj, M4x1m3, 0b101, zardam, LeGmask, Gegenter, citorva and PyJaC++, as well as a team of 8 beta testers.
This project is open-source, called Omega and aims to greatly improve Epsilon, the firmware present by default on Numworks calculators.

Omega adds :

• An RPN app (by boricj)

• A periodic table app (by M4x1m3)

• Symbolic computation

• A theming engine, highly customizable (JSON+PNG)

Here are 2 examples of themes

• External (by zardam) : a way to install new applications on the fly

There are 4 apps : KhiCAS, Nofrendo, Peanut-GB and Periodic. Note that Periodic is the same app as Atom, already installed on Omega by default. These apps can be installed on https://zardam.github.io/nw-external-apps/

• Molar masses (chemistry)

• Physics constants

• Your name can be displayed in the settings

Note: your name cannot be changed until you reinstall Omega. To change it, use `USERNAME='Your name'` during installation. See https://github.com/Omega-Numworks/Omega/wiki/Installation

• More steps for brightness (16 instead of 5)

• Choosing the multiplication sign

• Accessibility settings

• Compact display

• AND MORE!

The complete changelog can be found here : https://github.com/Omega-Numworks/Omega/wiki/Changelog

You can try it online on https://codewalr.us/omega/

The installation can be done in a couple of seconds here : getomega.web.app
Or can be done manually from source here https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=2589 (or here https://github.com/Omega-Numworks/Omega/wiki/Installation)

The source code can be found here : https://github.com/Omega-Numworks/Omega and our team here https://github.com/Omega-Numworks

You can come talk with us on our Discord if you have suggestions or issues with the installation : https://discord.gg/dHySh8w

Hope you enjoy!

NumWorks is a registered trademark. Omega is not affiliated with NumWorks.

The Omega Team

Yuki

Been playing with this last night, that's pretty cool :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I haven't tried it much yet but I do like the great additions, especially the chemistry/physic apps. This gotta be the most advanced third-party calculator firmware/OS out there.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 12, 2020, 06:10:44 PMI haven't tried it much yet but I do like the great additions, especially the chemistry/physic apps. This gotta be the most advanced third-party calculator firmware/OS out there.
It's without a doubt the most advanced third-party fork of Epsilon, but I doubt it's the most advanced third-party calculator firmware out there. Projects like newRPL and KnightOS are far more ambitious in both their scope and achievements as alternative firmware built from the ground up.

Dream of Omnimaga

True, but on the Z80 calculators all OS projects never came to fruition. I guess it helps that the Numworks is open-source. I have never heard of newRPL, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

M4x1m3

One thing to be sure is that due to the open-source nature of Epsilon, Numworks won't try to shut it down (like TI does with almost every custom firmware).
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo GBA, Nintendo GBA-SP, Nintendo Wii

Yuki

From what I see, the code is under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license, which is kinda weird for code, but eh, it's legit.

Wonder what happened with KnightOS, though. The guy probably gave all of his time to his Linux window manager. Which I currently use as a daily driver.

Edit: I see a bunch of commits from this week, looks like someone picked it back up. Nice.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Quote from: Yuki on June 12, 2020, 07:35:43 PMFrom what I see, the code is under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license, which is kinda weird for code, but eh, it's legit.
It used to be worse, but it got better.

Yuki

Whew. Looks like they picked a specific set of requirements no open source licence can adequately cover. At this point they could create a new license.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm unsure if I'm missing something, but I checked the Numworks manual and the Omega fork via the emulator, as well as Github for documentation and I could not find any way to access a memory management menu. ???

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 16, 2020, 04:13:35 PMI'm unsure if I'm missing something, but I checked the Numworks manual and the Omega fork via the emulator, as well as Github for documentation and I could not find any way to access a memory management menu. ???
Do not try and manage memory. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no memory.

There is no memory management in epsilon because NumWorks believes an user should not have to worry about that. There is a record system to keep track of variables, functions and scripts, but it is not exposed to the user. That being said, it should be possible to create a memory app for Omega and it will probably be required anyway when storage in Flash gets implemented.

Dream of Omnimaga

So if someone absolutely wants to delete or add files it has to be done via a computer, right?

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 16, 2020, 05:01:23 PMSo if someone absolutely wants to delete or add files it has to be done via a computer, right?
No, they do it by adding or deleting scripts from the Python app. The three dots next to each script opens a menu for operations. Also, storing "undef" to variables and functions in the Functions app will delete them.

I should've said no central memory management in epsilon. There simply is no dedicated menu for that unlike with TI calculators.

Yuki

From what I understand, you basically only have Python scripts to care of, and apps have to be compiled into the firmware as of now, so memory management isn't super useful as you probably wouldn't fill your calc full of Python scripts. (But eh, knowing DJ he would xD) That is, until there's a way to do file transfers without recompiling and transfering the firmware again.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN