Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Dillema about skin background color

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 13, 2014, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So I worked a bit on the forum theme last night, the hardest part being figuring out how to center the logo (something unusual on a SMF forum) and the theme is far from finished. However, I was unsure about what background color to choose around the site. Currently it's dark turquoise or something, but would people prefer something different and what? What I know, though, is that using the same green as the inner logo green looked ugly, though, and a gray-ish green looks more like an hospital surgery room than anything else. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I like the green you have right now. Maybe you could do some wacky background like you did on Omnimaga v5, but green. And more wacky.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

pimathbrainiac

Maybe change the background green to the same one as the logo border?
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on November 13, 2014, 10:26:19 PM
I like the green you have right now. Maybe you could do some wacky background like you did on Omnimaga v5, but green. And more wacky.
I would prefer to keep the background as simple as possible. I could add some background image but it will most likely be very simple and calc-related (or it could use some of the effects in the banner background)

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on November 13, 2014, 10:36:06 PM
Maybe change the background green to the same one as the logo border?
I tried that but then it looks almost identical to the Omnimaga SMF 2.0 theme back when it was still in beta (the one with the blue background) and the color is nearly identical to some past Omnimaga themes too.

Using the color from the signature version of the logo seems to give a decent result, though. I also liked how it came up with the 84+CSE version of the logo (where blue and green is combined into a very dark green, although that's the same as the 2004 Omni theme (although not as much of an issue considering Omni only used it for 6 months and over a decade ago). I also got another green idea, but it still has a bit of the hospital look.

1: one of the light blue from the signature logo
2: another one but darker
3: tried with a more blue-ish version of the hospital surgery room green.
4: Green from calc logo

IMHO I feel that green fits better with the logo and makes the site more different, but it depends of you too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

I like the third option ("more blue-ish version of the hospital surgery room green") the best. Option four is my second favorite, imo.
Well, I'm bach here too!

aetios

I like the color is is now. You could add some wackyness in the form of loose scaled up pixels, that'd be nice :)
ceci n'est pas une signature

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: aeTIos on November 14, 2014, 07:05:03 PM
You could add some wackyness in the form of loose scaled up pixels, that'd be nice :)

I agree, but with the colors I like :P
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

I tried such effect but for some reasons this made the board background look a bit too Minecraft-ish >.<

novenary

I like the first two colors but shouldn't the background be a tiled pattern that says THE GAME ? :P

(Also if we're talking about the theme, we probably want to change the smileys.)

aetios

Ah. Very well then, I'd prefer this site not to look like some minecraft forum :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 15, 2014, 11:35:52 AM
I like the first two colors but shouldn't the background be a tiled pattern that says THE GAME ? :P

(Also if we're talking about the theme, we probably want to change the smileys.)
Yeah, right, I'm totally gonna do that <_<

Seriously, though, I think I'm gonna keep images to a minimum so that the site can be browsed easier on mobile. THe banner will probably have background screenshots like ticalc and Omni, though, as well as extra text summarizing the site theme and perhaps small calc icons like Omni had a while ago (perhaps some phones or phone shapes too)

EDIT: By the way, what about this?

pimathbrainiac

That looks pretty good, imo. I vote yes.
Well, I'm bach here too!

aetios

Looks a bit too green to me, but go for it if everyone else likes it.

novenary

I still like the blue better personally. :(

Dream of Omnimaga

Which blue one do you prefer? If we only take the blue ones into account my favorite personally is the first.

(Also another idea I had was to take each people's favorite color above then combine them together, which might satisfy people more. Just as long as the site doesn't look too much like a MLP site :P)