Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

20 Years of Pokémon!

Started by Araidia, February 28, 2016, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Araidia

Yesterday was the 20th Anniversary of Pokémon!
To celebrate this, Nintendo created a video:

Pokémon Sun and Moon was announced for Holiday 2016!
Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow will be available to download in the eShop as of 2/27
So what do you guys think about the new game(and Pokémon in general)? What Pokémon games did you guys have and what were your favorites and least favorites?
[spoiler=My list of games]
From favorite to least favorite:

• Omega Ruby
  • Soul Silver
  • Sapphire
  • White
[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

aetios

They really need to come up with better names. It's cool, though, that the franchise is 20 yo already.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Yuki

Quote from: aeTIos on February 29, 2016, 08:17:43 AM
They really need to come up with better names.
At least they moved on from color names.

Anyway, yeah Pokémon is 20 now, I feel old, I remember playing Pokémon Yellow on my GameBoy Color as a kid (which is pretty much the only one I really played) and having cried on the first movie back in 1998 because it was getting too emotional... (Seriously, that scene where every Pokémon cries for Ash, oh my god.)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dudeman313

Quote from: Juju on February 29, 2016, 04:14:32 PM
Quote from: aeTIos on February 29, 2016, 08:17:43 AM
They really need to come up with better names.
At least they moved on from color names.

Just wait until the start getting desperate and use the same names in different languages, or names that mean nothing yet sound cool...
Or random plant names. (Ex. Pokemon Jute)

Quote from: Juju on February 29, 2016, 04:14:32 PM
[Anyway, yeah Pokémon is 20 now, I feel old, I remember playing Pokémon Yellow on my GameBoy Color as a kid (which is pretty much the only one I really played) and having cried on the first movie back in 1998 because it was getting too emotional... (Seriously, that scene where every Pokémon cries for Ash, oh my god.)
Why? Did he die? And 1998? Wow.... :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

calcplays

Pokemon - recognized by the Japanese public in 2000 as the country's eight greatest invention.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=81946&page=1
Where would it rank now?

Somewhat unrelatedly, what are some major calculator incarnations of the series?

Dudeman313

Quote from: calcplays on March 02, 2016, 11:46:06 PM
Pokemon - recognized by the Japanese public in 2000 as the country's eight greatest invention.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=81946&page=1
Where would it rank now?

Somewhat unrelatedly, what are some major calculator incarnations of the series?
I dunno, maybe either closer to 1 or farther from the first. There are so many rip-offs it's hard to tell. Maybe Yokai-Watch(which is pretty much just a combo of Ben-10 and Pokemon) is first, you never know.

As for major calculator incarnations, that depends on your calculator(s). For the 83/84+ monochromes, there is Pokemon Topaz, an amazingly awesome Pokemon game made by none other than @Hayleia ;D. There were others, like Pokemon Amber, that went unfinished, though...
Also for the monochromes, if you have enough RAM and ROM on your calculator, you can emulate GameBoy Pokemon games(can be found on TI-Planet) with TI-Boy, which can be found on ticalc.org.
The answer is "Sure."

tr1p1ea

20 years, wow that's pretty impressive ... still going strong!

Also we need a calc version!

Dream of Omnimaga

I never got much into Pokémon personally, since I was more into Final Fantasy RPGs, but it still was fun nonetheless. Also I wonder if Pokémon Moon and co are gonna be remakes of the originals?

@tr1p1ea there is already Pokémon Topaz, but a color remake would be nice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Pokemon Sun & Moon are not going to be remakes, as the remakes always have the format of 'original name with additions'. There's probably going to be a remake run later on, though. That'd be a diamond/pearl remake O.O
ceci n'est pas une signature

ordelore

A D/P remake makes me feel old, those were my first Pokemon games.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+SE, TI_Nspire CX
Calc Wars is still alive (I hope)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on March 03, 2016, 09:02:48 AM
Pokemon Sun & Moon are not going to be remakes, as the remakes always have the format of 'original name with additions'. There's probably going to be a remake run later on, though. That'd be a diamond/pearl remake O.O
We never know, though. Maybe one day they'll do remakes of the old games with 3D maps like in X/Y?

Also I wonder if Pokken Tournament is any good?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Or Pokemon GO? Isn't that out by now?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

That's not for the Wii U, though. It has augmented reality, though.

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."