Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus: Now with ads!

Started by Yuki, October 07, 2016, 10:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

To be honest, I'd simply remove that thing. I don't know what DJ thinks about it though.
What's your screen resolution ?

kotu

Well, I do use the "Show latest active topics"  link a lot.

*edit*
1920x1080. it does move to the top if i put my cw window really wide
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

novenary

It's available in the "forum" menu at the top. The link itself could be moved somewhere else otherwise.

gbl08ma

It shows up perfectly for me in Chrome and Edge.

EDIT: nope, it's broken for me too, if I resize the window so that the page becomes narrower, the "Hello username" thing will overlap with the ad or the logo.

I would just remove it; perhaps to avoid the loss of the avatar (makes it more personal), put it on the top bar somehow?
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

kotu

haha now it runs into the CW banner. I'd remove it as you say because the link is available at the top
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

novenary

It's because his screen is 1280 pixels wide or smaller, I can reproduce it in chrome. Trying to fix it.

E37

• Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 08, 2016, 11:31:15 AM
To be honest, I'd simply remove that thing. I don't know what DJ thinks about it though.
What's your screen resolution ?
This text was initially supposed to be directly inside the navigation to the right, just like Facebook and Twitter, with search to the left and the navigation itself in the middle (although for FB the search is in the middle and the avatar to the right). However, I never managed to figure out how to prevent the navigation from overlapping on the search box on smaller resolutions back in the days. Come to think of it, now that I know about Media queries, this is probably something I could achieve. The Go to recent posts link would be removed outright since we already have a New posts link easily reachable and the member approval link could be moved to "Moderate".

Also on mobile the navigation should probably be that one expandable icon you see on most sites, but I don't know how hard it would be to achieve on SMF.

That said, in the mockup above, using icons for profile/inbox might be preferable, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, our operation has been pretty successful so far. We're seeing interesting stuff from our members and at this rate so far, we'll be able to pay half of our hosting bill. I like this :D

Also, Canada and Europe aren't losing the game like the US and the rest of the world are...
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I still wish that outbidding someone only decreased the chances of his ad being seen rather than nullifying them entirely, though, so that way we would still have some banner rotation. <.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

SopaXorzTaker

Yay! Now there's a way to inobtrusively pay for the hosting! :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CE, TI-82, fx-991ES

Yuki

There's 4 regions you can bid separately on. And it depends of your expense limit and when your ad expire. That's the point of bidding: the highest bidder wins, so if you want to see your ad you gotta pay more, and that's how the ads rotate, too, the ads either get outbid or they expire. If there was an actual rotation, that probably wouldn't be as effective, although we can always put up to 5 ad boxes people can separately bid on.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Do regions get added based on ad bids submission?

Yuki

No, it's pretty much the same 4 regions. Canada, US, Europe, and the rest.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN