Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

History of Texas Instruments fails (TI versus community)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 11, 2015, 04:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriweb

TI-Cares is good for standard questions and requests, but not for very technical things where you're on your own (or, well, with fellow online communities, but not official TI support).
So, us here can be often disappointed with TI-Cares, but the majority (teachers?) is probably quite satisfied with it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Travis

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 18, 2015, 06:44:33 AM
Wait, when was this? I know that until September 2001 ticalc.org was affiliated with TI, but not anymore. I wonder if TI ever e-mailed TI-Planet for help?

It was a couple of years ago, about 2012. It just sort of happened in the middle of nowhere.
We've occasionally had people email us with questions saying that TI Cares referred them to us, as well. So it seems that not all of TI pretends that ticalc.org doesn't exist. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Dream of Omnimaga

At least they aren't boycotting it or something. For many years, they linked to CalcGames, Detacheds Solutions and some other small sites, but not ticalc.org, because they seemed to have a feud due to the CD fiasco. I wouldn't be surprised if back in the days, they refered people to calcgames.org instead of ticalc.org to get help.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't know those pages, but perhaps they aren't that old either. IIRC the student zone was revamped in 2010, right?

Also I agree, although it would be akward to run into some particular stuff from back in the days. >.< Plus imagine if you run into pr0n by searching someone's nick on Google... O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

After the huge success in France of the TI-82 Advanced, TI shares the same thing with the rest of the world under a different name.

Ladies and gentlemen, please proudly welcome the latest model in TI-84 Plus line, the TI-84 Plus T :

It's running a whole new OS 5.x with many improvements to the previous 2.55MP version :
- exam mode now does flash a LED :)
- no crash - asm programs now won't run anymore :)
- no data loss - preloaded apps now cannot be removed anymore :)
- no memory problem - other apps now cannot be loaded anymore :)

Source : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17651&p=193334#p193334

c4ooo

Quote from: critor on December 13, 2015, 01:26:23 AM
It's running a whole new OS 5.x with many improvements to the previous 2.55MP version :
- exam mode now does flash a LED :)
- no crash - asm programs now won't run anymore :)
- no data loss - preloaded apps now cannot be removed anymore :)
- no memory problem - apps now cannot be loaded anymore :)
Huh? Is it april yet?
* c4ooo looks at calendar

Snektron

Does it also have that nifty feature where you can't downgrade your OS?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Adriweb

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on December 13, 2015, 01:49:16 AM
Does it also have that nifty feature where you can't downgrade your OS?
Probably, thus preventing risk of people bricking their calcs when not following tutorials

Legimet

These safety features look pretty good. But even better would be a calc that does nothing: ultimate safety! :)

c4ooo

Quote from: calcplays on December 13, 2015, 03:46:38 PM
One incident that might warrant a mention is the ticalc.org CD...

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/5/53/53866.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20011109223045/http://education.ti.com/parent/hilight/ticalccd.html
Well of course, they dont want to see how inapropreitly good non-TI programming is.
* c4ooo runs
The sarcasim in this thread is great :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the TI CD is more due to TI not screening ticalc archives when they added the files. Back then, ticalc.org hosted Drug Wars and such content and did not scan archives for adult content, so some of it slipped by on the CD.

As for the new 84+ I'm honestly not surprised. It seems they want to make the 84+ T have less features than the CE to make people pay more. But what I fear is that the color calcs are next to lose ASM support and the successor of the 84+CE will most likely block ASM/C

critor

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 13, 2015, 06:55:31 PMBut what I fear is that the color calcs are next to lose ASM support and the successor of the 84+CE will most likely block ASM/C

I'm not sure.

In my opinion, they did just not consider the old reused TI-84+ PCB secure enough against asm programs in exam mode (remember all the PTT OS patches which were released on Omnimaga).
But with their new TI-84+CE PCB, they directly adressed the security problem at the hardware level. So they think asm is not a problem. :)

Adriweb

Quote from: critor on December 13, 2015, 08:06:44 PMBut with their new TI-84+CE PCB, they directely adressed the security problem at the hardware level. So they think asm is not a problem. :)
Which didn't last very long anyway. See here, here, and here.