Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Map of CW members

Started by Yuki, November 27, 2015, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

I was bored at school and I did this.

http://juju.codewalr.us/membermap

This thing maps the location of every CodeWalrus member on a fancy globe.

FAQ

Q: How precise is it?
A: It gets your location from your last visited IP, it's as precise as the GeoIP database is, as in, good chances your location is in your country's capital or big town even though you live far from it. (They detect proxies though and they likely won't appear.) Additionally, the latitudes and longitudes are rounded to the nearest degree. If you care, it should be enough to give you some anonymity.

Q: Why the different lengths of those bars?
A: The more people lives at this particular latitude and longitude (rounded to the nearest degree), the higher is the bar. Again, if it was about the post count, it would blow your anonymity away (I wonder who would be that huge as hell orange bar, eh DJ?)

Q: It doesn't work
A: Blame those guys, can't help you there, mate. I have no plan to make it work on your device either yet, it's just a fun experiment.

Q: It's pretty cool!
A: Thanks!

Q: It needs more walruses
A: Yes, of course.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Can we opt out and in? Some people might not want their location disclosed. Maybe an option to just show which country the person is from?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Scipi

I didn't realize several CW members live near me O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 27, 2015, 10:12:01 PM
Can we opt out and in? Some people might not want their location disclosed. Maybe an option to just show which country the person is from?

The information is available anyways. It's just found from the last logged in IP.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Yuki

Quote from: Ivoah on November 28, 2015, 01:58:46 AM

The information is available anyways. It's just found from the last logged in IP.
Pretty much what I said, there's not enough data shown to identify a person in particular and where they are exactly. If it really poses a problem to someone, please contact me. But those who care should use a proxy or Tor anyway.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Ivoah on November 28, 2015, 01:58:46 AM

True but that info is only visible to staff unless they join IRC. :P

Anyway nice walrinitiative, I'm definitively curious about our demographics and how they compare with the other calculator sites.

EDIT: By the way your map seems a bit innacurate, as it puts me somewhere near Toronto or something it seems O.O (I'm around Quebec City). Also, I think you shouldn't include people with 0 posts and perhaps even under 5 posts, else that isn't really representative of our userbase. Most 0 post users are spambots who failed to post, judging from their account info, and most 5 post users are people who had no interest to stick around to begin with. (eg newbies asking questions)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

You should add a herd of walriis somewhere on greenland :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, maybe there could be a 2D version of this map where bars are replaced with walruses, with the teal walruses being used in the north and the pink ones in the south :P

Also a 2D mode would be easier to browser if we want an instant indication of where our users are.

p2

rel: http://codewalr.us/32/45864
I still can't see the map just a black screen and some text around :(
MAy you provide a screenshot so I know how it should look like? :) Thx
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

I should probably look at what's wrong soon.

EDIT: Fixed.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Who owned is-a-brony.com btw? I forgot. In any case, if it was you, then it makes sense to combine your domain names and switch to sub-domain names considering CW and juju2143.ca have unlimited sub-domains, especially considering you used to have troubles paying your rent and internet bills <_<

Anyway glad the map is fixed. I'll sticky this topic.

SopaXorzTaker

Juju, I suggest inverting the color of the globe. It's currently very misleading, as the black zones are actually land.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CE, TI-82, fx-991ES

p2

yeah I scrolled around th whole globe 3 or 4 times efore I realized there was very little water xD
But once you understand it the map actually looks pretty cool ;D
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

c4ooo

Lol. When i first looked at it i was like "what planet is this" but then i released that what i thought was land was actually ocean. xD