Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

SDL/n2DLib ports for TI Nspire

Started by gameblabla, August 19, 2015, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 05, 2015, 07:59:46 PM
I assume it would be nice to have that emulator ported if it can run more games than gpSP too, but I don't know which one has the highest compatibility.

What games don't run on gpSP?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

novenary

Not sure, but gpsp should run most games. Of course there are exceptions, performance-oriented emulators can't possibly have perfect accuracy.

Hayleia

Mario Tennis Power Tour doesn't run on it. At least not on the version used on the Nspire and I remember checking "official" compatibility lists and seeing it in "does not run".
Of course, probably other games don't run but that one was the only one I care about :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Ivoah on November 05, 2015, 08:05:14 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 05, 2015, 07:59:46 PM
I assume it would be nice to have that emulator ported if it can run more games than gpSP too, but I don't know which one has the highest compatibility.

What games don't run on gpSP?
I don't know, but I am sure some don't, because SNES emus sometimes had issues running Star Ocean even after 15 years, same with N64 emus with Mystical Ninja. And the GBA is much more recent. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 05, 2015, 07:18:13 PM
I took a look at the dependencies, it seems more than feasible to port it. All of the external deps are actually there for extra features that we don't need or can't implement on the nspire due to platform restrictions (debugger, video and audio capture, screenshots, compressed roms). The latter two features are actually possible on the nspire though so we can look into it. These require zlib (included with ndless), libpng (compiles directly) and libzip (never tried but should be trivial).
mGBA can't be ported yet because it requires threads, (in other words, pthread) which Ndless does not support.
In addition, mGBA is using cmake so we'll have to write our own makefile.

gPSP is difficult to port because it has no C core in its latest version...
Temper, a NEC PC-Engine emulator, was recently open-sourced and even has a armv5 dynarec but it has again no C core
and currently, it is crashing on Ti Nspire CX : it's very hard to debug it.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually you don't need to port gPSP because it has already been done by calc84maniac :P http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/449/44971.html (unless you mean something else than the GBA emu?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Quote from: gameblabla on November 06, 2015, 06:40:04 AM
mGBA can't be ported yet because it requires threads, (in other words, pthread) which Ndless does not support.
Ah yeah, threads. :/ Cmake is a non-issue though, writing a Makefile is trivial and I don't see why we couldn't just use Cmake to build Nspire programs. Bare-metal developers use it.

Ivoah

Quote from: gameblabla on November 06, 2015, 06:40:04 AM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 05, 2015, 07:18:13 PM
I took a look at the dependencies, it seems more than feasible to port it. All of the external deps are actually there for extra features that we don't need or can't implement on the nspire due to platform restrictions (debugger, video and audio capture, screenshots, compressed roms). The latter two features are actually possible on the nspire though so we can look into it. These require zlib (included with ndless), libpng (compiles directly) and libzip (never tried but should be trivial).

gPSP is difficult to port because it has no C core in its latest version...
Temper, a NEC PC-Engine emulator, was recently open-sourced and even has a armv5 dynarec but it has again no C core
and currently, it is crashing on Ti Nspire CX : it's very hard to debug it.

You say "yet", does this mean that it might be possible in the future?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

novenary

Yes, once they add threading support to Ndless. Another option is to use the experimental threading implementation that tangrs wrote. Or try it out on linux if it can run in the framebuffer console, though you'd lose the benefits of low level hardware access.

Dream of Omnimaga

What if they ever decide to never add threading support to Ndless? O.O

Ivoah

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 06, 2015, 04:18:55 PM
Yes, once they add threading support to Ndless. Another option is to use the experimental threading implementation that tangrs wrote. Or try it out on linux if it can run in the framebuffer console, though you'd lose the benefits of low level hardware access.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to try. I'm positive it won't run nearly as fast as gpSP though, linux on the Nspire is so slow.

Dream of Omnimaga

So @gameblabla I was playing your TX666 game a few seconds ago and for some reasons, even though enemies appear rarely, it was still quite hard. I was wondering if you planned to maybe add more levels in the future, such as enemies appearing randomly, other levels where they jump faster, and others where they appear more often, for example? (That's assuming of course that you didn't quit the Nspire scene)

gameblabla

Yo, so i'm back with another port for TI Nspire.
Arthur Rojek has recently released another game called "Shisen-Seki" for GCW0.
It's similar to mahjong, you have to match stones with the same face.

The port itself is pretty smooth, i have not encountered any major issues.
You can download it right below.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 05, 2015, 01:48:15 AM
So @gameblabla I was playing your TX666 game a few seconds ago and for some reasons, even though enemies appear rarely, it was still quite hard. I was wondering if you planned to maybe add more levels in the future, such as enemies appearing randomly, other levels where they jump faster, and others where they appear more often, for example? (That's assuming of course that you didn't quit the Nspire scene)
So i like i told you a month ago, i do not intend to improve it and i would rather work on another game, which is what i'm currently doing.
Unfortunely, i don't know if i will be able to meet the deadline but i'll see what i'll come up with.

Dream of Omnimaga

Welcome back :3= . Also nice job. I always liked Shangai/Mahjong

gameblabla

i am bach (sorry pi for stoling your line)

Yup, this was the Master System emulator i was talking about earlier.
Some progress was done to Ndless, GCC and Newlib and now, i'm happy to say that things got more stable on Nspire.

It can emulate most Master System/Game Gear roms properly. (except some koreans games with special mappers)

Anyway, if you want to give it a shot, it's right in the attachments below.

I have also updated Gameblabla's Oswan.
So far, this build crashes much less so it's all good.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it runs almost fullspeed without frameskip with no overclocking.
So it is entirely playable.