Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The end of CodeWalrus?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, July 15, 2017, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Quote from: STV on July 17, 2017, 09:39:51 AM
Honestly, c Alvajoy. He should've been banned as soon as he threatened Mateo. Now because of a stupid 13-year old CW is in the cte. It's sad that Streetwalrus and aeTIos resign, but I agree with Juju and xlibman, really. Also, what did kotu do?
Kuto was makeing low quality posts like alvajoy but he is better now.

_iPhoenix_

I would like to say a few words on this subject:

more than just a few words
Even though Street and aeTIos are no longer part of the team, they are still valued members and I would love to still see them around.

xlibman, no matter how much autocorrect hates your username, is still an awesome person. I realize you are going through a lot of stress, so I think that your (possibly temporary) leave from the CW staff is the right decision for you.

People post less in the summer, because not many people are forced to be on their calculators, or have the same extreme boredom during math class. (or study hall, or where ever they get it done)
To keep post #'s up, perhaps we could re-institute the contests. I would gladly plan and help judge, and would participate in as many of them as I can. For prizes, we could do, say, a signed :walrii: poster (signed with username, not IRL name, for personal security. I could design one, if you guys want.) or something cheap, but it's still a prize.

Alvajoy123 should be banned permanently, if he already isn't. He was a complete jerk, and nothing he said should be taken to heart, no matter how true it seems. Every karma point that he gave out (positive or negative) should be removed. It tarnished the reputations of individuals who should not be attacked. I honestly do not care if I lose a positive karma point. I don't want a karma point that was given by someone like that.
The death threat he gave is absolutely immature and seriously bad. However, (although I have not read it) it is not a legal threat (in a US court of law, at least) because he has no means of carrying it out.

In a Canadian court of law, (I spent half an hour researching this) it may actually be illegal:
1) if the words conveyed a threat to death or bodily harm
2) if the words were meant to be taken seriously.

I suggest not legally going after him, he should probably take this as a learning experience, and he is still a juvenile. (I guess)

We are a community, and I hope we can choose to look forward on what is coming up... uhh let's not, and just be happy as a community.
[close]
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

gameblabla

I don't think xlibman or juju are in the mood to ban Alvajoy123 again. (Even though his recklessness indirectly led to this)
Anyways guys, if you could posts more or answer my posts, we can avert the disaster ! :D

EDIT : I did not want to make it look like Alvajoy made Streetwalrus & aeTIos run away.
Even though he has irritated xlibman so much it led to the database being deleted in July 7th,
he was not responsible for the ultimate demise of codewalrus.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gameblabla on July 17, 2017, 02:59:40 PM
I don't think xlibman or juju are in the mood to ban Alvajoy123 again. (Even though his recklessness indirectly led to this)
Anyways guys, if you could posts more or answer my posts, we can avert the disaster ! :D

EDIT : I did not want to make it look like Alvajoy made Streetwalrus & aeTIos run away.
Even though he has irritated xlibman so much it led to the database being deleted in July 7th,
he was not responsible for the ultimate demise of codewalrus.
Alvajoy did not trigger this particular incident. Sure, he did not help, because it was at the worst possible moment, but most issues were that I have anger management issues that got magnified by recent life events and technically I shouldnù,t have access to the  db. I do all sort of weird wtf c when I am down and mad at the same time, much like pimath, and i am really sorry for that
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

You know what, @xlibman, I understand.

I myself used to be like that to some extent, and I was really, really destructive.

I actually had to lock myself out of my room so I wouldn't destroy my possessions.
I got better, eventually, though.

I really do recommend getting something that is cheap, but still somewhat durable, that you can destroy when you are angry (it's very satisfying). It worked for me. I used balloons (uninflated) and would just tear them apart, trying to see how small I could get the pieces.
Stress balls work for when you cannot put attention into it, but I found it didn't work as well.

I also suggest getting a group of close IRL friends with somewhat similar interests that you can talk to, although this is much, much easier said than done (at least for me)

I also recommend getting a pet, mine pretty much saved my life. Long story short, I was going through a similar bout of depression, but I was feeling suicidal at the time (I felt like that a lot when I was younger, and I am still extremely depressed, but minus the suicidal thoughts). My friend noticed this and suggested I get a fish (I was somewhat low on money, and anything else was just flat out too expensive). Just having something to take care of, the thought that something tangible relied on me (although it died in a few days) brought me out of my bout of depression.

I hope this helps.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

GalacticPirate

I also feel like you @xlibman. Being overflowed by adrenaline, not being able to control what you do, and making almost non-fixable mistakes. I think @critor knows more than anyone about what I already did. Again, I agree with @_iPhoenix_ , find something cheap you can punch like hell, or even find a way to yell what you think, or anything. I'll definitely never let down someone who lives exactly what I lived some weeks ago.
Be strong, wlibman.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Caleb Hansberry

I been trying to outbid eeems ad, but don't have the cash to win, at least not in the US, it's rocketed up from 0.20$ a day to $3 a day :)

I also would like to know how much money you'd like to keep the server running well - we can possibly raise it together
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

CVSoft

I can volunteer to help out with things; my availability is bad during summers but I'm almost always around in IRC/discord.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Yuki

Don't worry, I think Eeems have a budget of $5 so at this rate that won't last long...

Anyway, you can always ask for our Paypal account (it's paypal @ this domain, not hard), there's some way to throw money monthly somewhere in your account settings or you can probably try the Patreon in my signature.

If you want to be admin, we probably could open applications, depends what the other staff thinks about it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Legimet

I don't post here very often, but I really hope it stays. I think it'll work out in the end.

Lionel Debroux

Like many others, I hope CW stays :)
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Yuki

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on July 17, 2017, 07:07:22 PM
I really do recommend getting something that is cheap, but still somewhat durable, that you can destroy when you are angry (it's very satisfying). It worked for me. I used balloons (uninflated) and would just tear them apart, trying to see how small I could get the pieces.
Stress balls work for when you cannot put attention into it, but I found it didn't work as well.
Punching bags. Heard it's nice.

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on July 17, 2017, 07:07:22 PM
I also suggest getting a group of close IRL friends with somewhat similar interests that you can talk to, although this is much, much easier said than done (at least for me)
Definitely easier said than done, but somehow, we did it. Y'all know how I know @xlibman IRL, he also got along with one of my friends as well after, if I remember correctly, they both invited me at the same bar at the same time. It's how friendships are done :P Anyway, that's probably what saved @xlibman's life, this close group of IRL friends doing things together. :walrii:

Quote from: Legimet on July 18, 2017, 03:26:00 AM
I don't post here very often, but I really hope it stays. I think it'll work out in the end.
Quote from: Lionel Debroux on July 18, 2017, 06:47:37 AM
Like many others, I hope CW stays :)
So do I. The site could stay online forever if I want, but the problem is how to keep the users active.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

@Juju yeah, unlike the 2009-11 life incidents and the 1-1.5+ years following those, this time I kinda managed to rebuild my social life outside of the Internet and it now actually includes people I can trust a lot or are open-minded. I was safe by the end of 2011 but your friendship and being able to see you in real life definitively helped me a lot going through the last three years or so.

@gameblabla to be honest, when it comes to Streetwalrus and aeTIos resignations from CW, the writing had been on the wall since the second SirCmpwn incident in November 2015. While they were good staff members and good friends while it lasted, my mistake when founding CW was to structure the staff policies before making 100% sure that the entire staff actually understood the site's mission was identical to what mission Omnimaga had back when I was admin there, rather than their own interpretation of it. The resulting disputes between Street/aeTIos and me made it inevitable that eventually, either them or myself would have to go, and based on staff decisions so far, I think if I had left this would have resulted into a third Cemetech clone (although with extra NSFW content and less influence from staff), and Omnimaga doing this was the very reason why CodeWalrus was created in the first place.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Seems we go though this once each year... I don't think we should shut down. I mean, if you guys don't have the means to support the site, then yes, I will support some sort of merger or something, but if it is something other than that, I believe we could all work it out and not let the crazy trolls get to our heads every time they come around. Granted, i've been gone a bit right now, but with DJ talkin about how no one stepped up, I know i did what i could when teh project award was announced ending (I could have kept that going) Currently, i really don't have the time to help manage a site (if that is what you guys need/needed) but i would have offered to do something, at least. I dunno, just my 2 cents.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, the trolls are more rare nowadays, but activity got much more rare as well and it's inflated by mine. I'll be mostly gone for 8 months unless I can afford a 3G plan then so it will most likely be even lower (even more than Omni)