Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The end of CodeWalrus?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, July 15, 2017, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE: Codewalrus will remain open for the time being. The remaining staff will decide what happens to the site at a later date, depending of if people are interested in continuing posting on a site that will soon average at 50 posts a month.

However, see the last post in this thread. https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=2152.msg58662#msg58662
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

tl;dr there's a lot of problems with SMF, we're completely tired of it, the only way to fix this is by moving away to another software like phpBB or to close it down and we want your opinion.

And no, it's not gonna be another social network, stop asking, we just like the notifications feature.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Someone has suggested the addition of a 4th option: Statu Quo.

His request was declined, because this is what statu-quo have done to CodeWalrus in the last two years:

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

xMarminq_

Why though? We have a small and strong community, and I'm sad that the options have come to this.  :-\
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Dream of Omnimaga

Well... if you guys are willing to spend monthly money to keep a forum with 10 posts a month running (because that's what we will get in a few months) with often two or three weeks with no new posts, then that's your call I guess. I don't see the purpose, though.

From what I noticed, whenever I was inactive, nobody ever offered any help anywhere to be active while I am away, so I dunno how this would be any different now.

What do you propose?

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok @c4ooo and @xMarminq_ and possibly a few others, you got what you wanted: a 4th option that doesn't involve major changes nor a shutdown:

"Site remains as-is but with 50 posts a month at best (estimate) and with zero money commitment from staff (free hosting from a different calc site most likely required)"

Basically if you really want to, the site will remain open, but we will no longer financially support it once its activity drops under Omnimaga level next Fall (which will happen, due to circumstances mentioned in the secret thread). So whoever votes #4 will have to help us find free hosting that supports WalrusIRC, offers 20 GB of disk space, 1 GB of RAM and isn't filled with ads.

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

gameblabla

Man, that was so sudden.. and everything falls apart !
I noticed too that without @xlibman posting, activity would drop significantly.
And unfortunately not everyone posts as much as dj...

As much as i would like you to switch to something like phpBB or flarum,
it's probably going to be more realistic to merge with Ti-planet.
I mean, i'm not even sure you feel motivated to do option 1...
That being said, Omnimaga.org is even less active than codewalrus and it's still not shutdown. (but it's pretty much a ghost town)

Unfortunately, most people are busy sharing stupid videos of cats or talking about politics endlessly on facebook/twitter.
There is no real talk, it's just everyone sitting in their own corner.
Sadly, it's seems that the trolls have won.

I better save my stuff again but i want to say this : if it has to shutdown down, it will dearly miss me.
Simply put, there is nothing like it on the web. When i turn on my PC, the first website i go to is codewalr.us.
What you did and the community you have created (even tho not much of it is left) is amazing.
I don't know where i will go next, i don't like how cluttered ti-planet is and i feel like they're less tolerant of my pointless trolling...
But it's probably going to be the only realistic option, if ti-planet can survive of course.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Caleb Hansberry

I see that a lot of people are voting for a new site, but I voted for stay-as-is because I think it's more realistic. I don't perceive anyone having enough time to code a new site. For what it's worth, if you set up a patreon you could get a monthly subscription, that might help and I'd pay a few dollars - it'd help if a few people could pay a few dollars a month.

I agree that merging with Omnimaga is silly - they're propped up by an active admin, which is very important, but they are even less active than here, and certainly less free atmosphere, even though it'd be nice to have their members.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Yuki

Yeah, I don't want to see CW go either, but you guys gotta help :P

Omnimaga have the means to maintain a ghost town, last time I checked the admins throw a lot of money on the server (but there's Eeems' personal stuff in there too but still), here, unless we magically do $100 a month with the site we don't really the budget for that...

Patreon seems like a good idea. At first we wanted to go with whatever donation system the forum has (which works a bit like Patreon), but we might consider it. Anyway, there's mine in my signature if you want, part of the money raised there will go to Codewalrus anyway.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Caleb Hansberry on July 16, 2017, 05:46:50 AM
I see that a lot of people are voting for a new site, but I voted for stay-as-is because I think it's more realistic. I don't perceive anyone having enough time to code a new site. For what it's worth, if you set up a patreon you could get a monthly subscription, that might help and I'd pay a few dollars - it'd help if a few people could pay a few dollars a month.

I agree that merging with Omnimaga is silly - they're propped up by an active admin, which is very important, but they are even less active than here, and certainly less free atmosphere, even though it'd be nice to have their members.
If option 1 gets voted, it will take much longer to happen than option 2 and 3 for that very reason. But this is also why we are looking at a software that would implement most of what we need by default (Danbooru, Discourse, Flarum comes to mind, but we could just switch to PhpBB 3.2, which implements some of the important interactivity features we need). SMF 2.1 won't come out until 2023 or so, NodeBB is a resource hog, Invisionboard is insecure, VBulletin costs money like Invisionboard and those SMF forks don't seem to implement anything significant that would justify going for a fork with an uncertain future (since hobbyist projects tend to be stopped after just a few years)

And of course if that software has a script (even if not official) to convert the current data to their format then that's even better.

There still remains the fact this won't double our userbase overnight, though, and some of the older users might hate it, but again it's not like many people post that often on CW. I think one week we didn't even have a single user that made 10 posts. Maybe someone skilled enough could do a bridge for older members so that if they post on the SMF site it auto-posts via their account on the new site and vice-versa to please everyone but I doubt that would happen fast. If option 1 wins then I would rather have this done before school starts.
Quote from: gameblabla on July 16, 2017, 05:29:26 AM
I don't know where i will go next, i don't like how cluttered ti-planet is and i feel like they're less tolerant of my pointless trolling...
But it's probably going to be the only realistic option, if ti-planet can survive of course.
The IRC and Discord channels will remain open no matter what happens to the site.

Yuki

Quote from: xlibman on July 16, 2017, 06:50:12 AM
Danbooru
Isn't Danbooru for posting anime boobs?

yeah yeah sure we could definitely do that :P
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

utz

I voted for a merger with TI-Planet. Considering the circumstances, I believe it's the best option. TI-Planet is a great place, and if they consequently become more open to the English-speaking community, then all the better. United we stand! :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Turiq

Quote from: Juju on July 16, 2017, 07:04:31 AM
Quote from: xlibman on July 16, 2017, 06:50:12 AM
Danbooru
Isn't Danbooru for posting anime boobs?

yeah yeah sure we could definitely do that :P
Anime walrus boobs or riot! :^)
  • Calculators owned: 84+SE, Nspire Cas, Nspire CX, Prizm
*blinks*

gameblabla

Quote from: utz on July 16, 2017, 02:52:59 PM
I voted for a merger with TI-Planet. Considering the circumstances, I believe it's the best option. TI-Planet is a great place, and if they consequently become more open to the English-speaking community, then all the better. United we stand! :D

My attack increases depending on the number of active users !!!
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)