Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

KnightOS Updates

Started by Vijfhoek, March 22, 2015, 04:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Oooh! You got my interest naow.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

https://github.com/KnightOS/kcc
i should try it out too... maybe float multiply works here (it fails with SDCC <_<)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

SirCmpwn

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on March 23, 2015, 04:18:29 PM
Oh. do you have any work done to make something like a C compiler or anything-better-than-asm compiler for KOS?

EDIT : after checking once more the screenshots, I find your UI quite useful and helpful. Do you have any technical infos for doing such graphical UI server like that? I could be interrested into doing such a project for FiXos.

We have a C compiler called kcc that's forked from SDCC. We also have a traditional assembler/linker called scas that is ASxxxx compatible and used for compiling C output. C support is experimental and has known problems, but if you'd like to try it you can compile and install both kcc and scas and then use "knightos init --template=c example" to generate an example project.

We don't have a UI server, but we do have shared code for drawing some parts of the UI. You can read through it here.

EDIT:

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on March 23, 2015, 05:01:07 PM
https://github.com/KnightOS/kcc
i should try it out too... maybe float multiply works here (it fails with SDCC <_<)

It compiles but I can't promise that it works. We don't have any means of printing floating point numbers so who knows. Here's some code I just wrote:

(edited:)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Noice. I wonder if fixed points are quite efficient on z80. Kristaba once did a small fixed point utility and I keep upsing it almost everywhere. It gave to FXes a signifiant speed boost for usual cases.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

SirCmpwn

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on March 23, 2015, 07:58:52 PM
Noice. I wonder if fixed points are quite efficient on z80. Kristaba once did a small fixed point utility and I keep upsing it almost everywhere. It gave to FXes a signifiant speed boost for usual cases.

Fixed point is just using integers and wavy hands.

SirCmpwn

Kernel 0.6.7 released

The biggest change of this kernel is the switch to a monospaced font. Your stuff is probably going to look weird.

Features

New monospaced font
    RTC starts on boot
    getStreamPos function
    clockSupported function
    drawDecA, drawDecHL, drawDecACIX

Bugs Fixed

getBatteryLevel works
    Closing writable streams no longer trashes registers
    rectAND and rectOR no longer trashes registers
    CSE keyboard driver delay fixed

Download

kernel-headers-0.6.7.pkg
kernel-TI73.rom
kernel-TI83p.rom
kernel-TI83pSE.rom
kernel-TI84p.rom
kernel-TI84pSE.rom
kernel-TI84pCSE.rom

Kernel 0.6.7 on Github

Disclaimer

This release, like all other kernel releases, is only relevant to developers. The kernel also will not run on its own, so if you put this in an emulator you won't get much out of it.

Ephraim Becker

Where are the Upgrade files? I only see the ROM files.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

SirCmpwn

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on March 23, 2015, 10:38:24 PM
Where are the Upgrade files? I only see the ROM files.

You can get a kernel upgrade file by compiling it yourself (except for the CSE), but for now we don't publish precompiled kernel upgrades since you have to reinstall the entire OS so often anyway when you use KnightOS.

Ephraim Becker

How do I send the ROM file to my calculator if it's not in .8cu?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII

SirCmpwn

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on March 23, 2015, 10:44:50 PM
How do I send the ROM file to my calculator if it's not in .8cu?

Just send the latest nightly to your calculator instead. You can get it from here: http://www.knightos.org/download

Ephraim Becker

It's still on 0.3.0-43 which is the version before 0.6.7

SirCmpwn

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on March 23, 2015, 10:47:40 PM
It's still on 0.3.0-43 which is the version before 0.6.7

The userspace version is no longer relevant since we changed KnightOS to a rolling release model. The version on the download page is always the latest version.

SirCmpwn

Thanks to willem3141, fullly functional date/time support has been merged into the kernel. The settings app has been updated to allow you to set the current time/date, and the castle displays it in the upper right corner. There are also syscalls for working with date/time that are now fully functional.

Dream of Omnimaga

Good to hear. Will the clock time remain intact even after the calculator crashes? The fact the TI-OS clock resets to 12 AM on every RAM Clear pretty much renders it useless.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 27, 2015, 04:34:50 AM
Good to hear. Will the clock time remain intact even after the calculator crashes? The fact the TI-OS clock resets to 12 AM on every RAM Clear pretty much renders it useless.

The boot code resets the clock, so if you have to resort to a battery pull then you will lose the time. However, KnightOS offers a better way to recover from a crash. If you press ON+R, so long as interrupts are running, it will immediately reboot.