Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

KnightOS Updates

Started by Vijfhoek, March 22, 2015, 04:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for explaining. That gives me a better idea of how much needs to be done yet. As for math I wasn't sure if 100% of it was up to the developers to add as third-party apps or not, since KOS was originally not gonna include anything and have everything ranging from maths, graphing (eg that grayscale 3D grapher) to games as separate, third-party softwares to keep KOS as small as possible. Including maths could probably make it easier for KOS to be accepted at exams, though, in a more distant future. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 19, 2015, 06:17:41 PM
Thanks for explaining. That gives me a better idea of how much needs to be done yet. As for math I wasn't sure if 100% of it was up to the developers to add as third-party apps or not, since KOS was originally not gonna include anything and have everything ranging from maths, graphing (eg that grayscale 3D grapher) to games as separate, third-party softwares to keep KOS as small as possible. Including maths could probably make it easier for KOS to be accepted at exams, though, in a more distant future. :)

KnightOS is built like a Linux distribution. There's "KnightOS", which refers to the official KnightOS distribution, built on top of the "KnightOS kernel", which is independent and comes with nothing. Basically, "KnightOS" is a collection of software that runs on the KnightOS kernel distributed in one big package. You can add new software, replace the built-in software (with your own castle or file manager or whatever), or remove things you don't need. KnightOS is actually built in a very similar fashion to the Arch Linux distribution. All of the software available on KnightOS can be found at packages.knightos.org, including the built-in things like fileman, the castle, and corelib (by the way, if you search with "!pko" in your duck duck go search terms, it'll redirect you to a search on packages.knightos.org).

So even though the official upstream KnightOS distribution will include enough things to be productive (math, kpy, fileman, etc), you can remove them or replace them. Additionally, it would be extremely easy to make another KnightOS distribution (WalriiOS?) that uses the same kernel but has different packages installed by default.

By the way, just because there's a lot left to do doesn't mean that we haven't come a long ways. Things that are "done" include a filesystem driver, multitasking, dynamic memory management (malloc, realloc, calloc, etc), color support with legacy emulation, packaging tools, image conversion tools, an assembler and linker, a C library and compiler, library support, a KEXC loader, kernel support for compression and sorting, a file manager, an app launcher, thread switcher, calendar, several games, three websites, an extremely good SDK, an emulator (+emscripten), a config library, the community's best 8xu creation and signing tools, filesystem generation tools, a documentation generator and excellent documentation, a mature Flash driver, SHA-1 and CRC16 support, filetype associations, standard concurrency models, signaling, date/time support, and more.

SirCmpwn

Icons in the app listing.

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice. I wonder if you plan to add descriptions in there? (maybe a pop-up?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 27, 2015, 12:53:40 AM
Nice. I wonder if you plan to add descriptions in there? (maybe a pop-up?)

No plans for that.

Snektron

Looks pretty sweet :) Also there wouldn't be enough space for a description.
Unless you can like, fit it under the name when you select it. Depends on how the menu handles scrolling
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Luxen

Quote from: SirCmpwn on July 19, 2015, 06:30:17 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 19, 2015, 06:17:41 PM

KnightOS is built like a Linux distribution. There's "KnightOS", which refers to the official KnightOS distribution, built on top of the "KnightOS kernel", which is independent and comes with nothing. Basically, "KnightOS" is a collection of software that runs on the KnightOS kernel distributed in one big package. You can add new software, replace the built-in software (with your own castle or file manager or whatever), or remove things you don't need. KnightOS is actually built in a very similar fashion to the Arch Linux distribution. All of the software available on KnightOS can be found at packages.knightos.org, including the built-in things like fileman, the castle, and corelib (by the way, if you search with "!pko" in your duck duck go search terms, it'll redirect you to a search on packages.knightos.org).

So even though the official upstream KnightOS distribution will include enough things to be productive (math, kpy, fileman, etc), you can remove them or replace them. Additionally, it would be extremely easy to make another KnightOS distribution (WalriiOS?) that uses the same kernel but has different packages installed by default.

By the way, just because there's a lot left to do doesn't mean that we haven't come a long ways. Things that are "done" include a filesystem driver, multitasking, dynamic memory management (malloc, realloc, calloc, etc), color support with legacy emulation, packaging tools, image conversion tools, an assembler and linker, a C library and compiler, library support, a KEXC loader, kernel support for compression and sorting, a file manager, an app launcher, thread switcher, calendar, several games, three websites, an extremely good SDK, an emulator (+emscripten), a config library, the community's best 8xu creation and signing tools, filesystem generation tools, a documentation generator and excellent documentation, a mature Flash driver, SHA-1 and CRC16 support, filetype associations, standard concurrency models, signaling, date/time support, and more.

Wow. KnightOS has gotten lots of updates since I last looked at it up close. Any time i check the "changes" on github, it looks like all thats happened is changes to thanks, not any of ... ~that~.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, Ti-83+, Ti-84+, Ti-84+CE, TI-86, Casio Prizm

Ivoah

Quote from: Luxen on September 30, 2015, 09:59:11 PM
Wow. KnightOS has gotten lots of updates since I last looked at it up close. Any time i check the "changes" on github, it looks like all thats happened is changes to thanks, not any of ... ~that~.

That's probably because you're just looking at changes for the KnightOS repo, not all of the other repos in the KOS project (kernel, z80e, kcc, scas, etc)
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Luxen

For a while, it seemed like all changes were posted to the main changes listing. Anyways, thanks for the info, ill check those from now on.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, Ti-83+, Ti-84+, Ti-84+CE, TI-86, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah generally the changes are all posted in the KOS repo or other repos related to KOS. When there is major progress, sometimes Vijfhoek, Matref or SirCmpwn cross-posted some updates here, but I don't know if KOS progressed much since the last update since I didn't have time to check the repos nor the official site.

semiprocoder

More people should start making knightos apps, cause it's practically devoid of them atm, and they should make the sdk easier to install on windows, cause I have 0 linux skills whatsoever. I should probably do something about that sometime though...
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Max Leiter

Quote from: semiprocoder on October 01, 2015, 03:22:15 AM
More people should start making knightos apps, cause it's practically devoid of them atm, and they should make the sdk easier to install on windows, cause I have 0 linux skills whatsoever. I should probably do something about that sometime though...
Kinda late, but you can make it run with Cygwin pretty easily

Dream of Omnimaga

Hi and welcome to the forums Max Leiter. Do you know if it's 100% compatible with Cygwin?

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 12, 2015, 02:53:39 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums Max Leiter. Do you know if it's 100% compatible with Cygwin?

Everything but kcc works on Cygwin.

novenary

Quote from: Luxen on October 01, 2015, 01:31:33 AM
For a while, it seemed like all changes were posted to the main changes listing. Anyways, thanks for the info, ill check those from now on.
The main repo was split since the package manager works. Originally only the kernel was included as a submodule but now the main repo is just a config file to build a ROM from packages. Nightly builds are rolled from that.