Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Results out!) CodeWalrus Programming Contest II: A Game about Walruses

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 09, 2015, 08:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on January 03, 2016, 10:45:58 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 03, 2016, 02:15:52 AM
What kind of issues do you have by the way? Is it speed-related? Or is it something like the Atari where you have to draw 3 sprites max per frame, causing flicker? I guess I wouldn't mind the flicker if that's the case. After all, we got used to flickering sprites in the Atari 2600 and 84+CSE versions of Pac-Man :P
Speed is surely a problem too, but except for that the C64 is way superior to the Atari 2600.
It has a proper graphics chip that does all the screen refreshing and it has 64KB of ram opposed to a few hundred bytes. I also have a lot more program space therefore. I want to stay away from assembler so I will not use any hacks. Flicker won't happen in any way.

Quote from: alexgt on January 03, 2016, 03:46:00 AM
you could do 4 8x8 sprites but that would probably be really slow <_<
No it wouldn't be any slower but I already found out, that sprites can be set to a special mode and therefore can be bigger. I have 8 sprites total maximum on the screen at a time.

12*21 is the maximum size of a C64 multicolor sprite.
I plan using that. Could somebody do a walrus sprite that is 12 pixels wide and a maximum of 21 pixels high?
Don't stretch is unnecessarily ;)
Couldn't you instead use multiple single-color sprites? If the background is black, then you could use the following sprites by placing them on top of each others:

Otherwise, in the Walrii Fanart thread, you could use Custer Walrii (the one that looks like it's from the Atari 2600) and make it single-color.

I am unable to figure out how to draw a 12x21 walrus at the time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 04, 2016, 05:03:06 AM
Quote from: DarkestEx on January 03, 2016, 10:45:58 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 03, 2016, 02:15:52 AM
What kind of issues do you have by the way? Is it speed-related? Or is it something like the Atari where you have to draw 3 sprites max per frame, causing flicker? I guess I wouldn't mind the flicker if that's the case. After all, we got used to flickering sprites in the Atari 2600 and 84+CSE versions of Pac-Man :P
Speed is surely a problem too, but except for that the C64 is way superior to the Atari 2600.
It has a proper graphics chip that does all the screen refreshing and it has 64KB of ram opposed to a few hundred bytes. I also have a lot more program space therefore. I want to stay away from assembler so I will not use any hacks. Flicker won't happen in any way.

Quote from: alexgt on January 03, 2016, 03:46:00 AM
you could do 4 8x8 sprites but that would probably be really slow <_<
No it wouldn't be any slower but I already found out, that sprites can be set to a special mode and therefore can be bigger. I have 8 sprites total maximum on the screen at a time.

12*21 is the maximum size of a C64 multicolor sprite.
I plan using that. Could somebody do a walrus sprite that is 12 pixels wide and a maximum of 21 pixels high?
Don't stretch is unnecessarily ;)
Couldn't you instead use multiple single-color sprites? If the background is black, then you could use the following sprites by placing them on top of each others:

Otherwise, in the Walrii Fanart thread, you could use Custer Walrii (the one that looks like it's from the Atari 2600) and make it single-color.

I am unable to figure out how to draw a 12x21 walrus at the time.
No I can't use overlays as the platform has only support for 8 sprites total. Wasting more than two sprites for one character would be pretty bad.
We could use two 12x21 sprites to create a 24x21 sprite. That would totally work.
Could somebody modify the existing Walrii to create such a sprite; that would be really great.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

c4ooo

Meh
The end of January is when i have a ton of exams (and my birthday!!). I am already busy but i will see if i can finish a ti84 entry :walrii:

Dream of Omnimaga

@DarkestEx the Walrii I provided above is actually 24x21 if you take the bottom one. If you need less colors then you could maybe make all of it light gray? Note that the black is transparent, though, so it's best used on dark backgrounds.
Quote from: c4ooo on January 04, 2016, 08:07:17 PM
Meh
The end of January is when i have a ton of exams (and my birthday!!). I am already busy but i will see if i can finish a ti84 entry :walrii:
Good luck @c4ooo I hope you can find some free time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 04, 2016, 10:54:19 PM
@DarkestEx the Walrii I provided above is actually 24x21 if you take the bottom one. If you need less colors then you could maybe make all of it light gray? Note that the black is transparent, though, so it's best used on dark backgrounds.
Quote from: c4ooo on January 04, 2016, 08:07:17 PM
Meh
Good luck @c4ooo I hope you can find some free time.
Thanks for reminding me ;)
About the colors, I will have to reduce it a bit, but not much is really needed. I have 16 different colors to choose from.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you mean you'll reduce the sprite to 2 colors (it uses 3 now, taking in account the fact that the black is intended to be transparent) or just change the existing colors to match the C64 palette?

Also I am ok with slight modifications to the walrus sprites if it's to get within specific platform limitations, as well as scaling up/down if the sprite is still recognizable afterwards. Just no 4x3 walrus game with a 1x1 Walrii sprite :P (well, you could theoretically make a Walrii game utilizing the original sprite in 4x3 resolution, though,  but it wouldn't even come close to fit in the screen :P)

alexgt

Zampy's Quest may have to take a swing in another direction if I can't get the AI and levels made in time D:
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

I would avoid using AI. You can probably just make the enemies move in one direction and the other or stuff like that and only include some levels and expand after the contest.

Dream of Omnimaga

Slight rule change: The following walruses are now included among the ones you can use in the contest:

They were added to the first post of the fanart thread. They could be used before, but you had to include one of the other 150 walruses somewhere in the game, such as the title screen.

c4ooo

Lets hope mine wont be just another flappy birds clone:

sorry for blur :(

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Scipi

Got a quick little video showing progress on my entry

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10573921/Releases/Walriimon.avi

Note, the disappearance behind the tree is because that particular tile sprite includes the grass and doesn't have a transparent part and I'm too lazy to fix it. :P It's not an engine limitation.

Once I get something to show for the battle system proper, I'll make a post revealing my project. Though you can probably guess what it is ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

semiprocoder

That looks really cool! I hope you can finish it before the deadline; it seems like a lot of work.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Scipi on January 08, 2016, 02:08:42 AM
Got a quick little video showing progress on my entry

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10573921/Releases/Walriimon.avi

Note, the disappearance behind the tree is because that particular tile sprite includes the grass and doesn't have a transparent part and I'm too lazy to fix it. :P It's not an engine limitation.

Once I get something to show for the battle system proper, I'll make a post revealing my project. Though you can probably guess what it is ;)
You should upload the video on Youtube, in case some people don't have the codecs to play the file. :P

Anyway I'm glad you are participating. You should make a topic, though,  to register your entry :)