Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Results out!) CodeWalrus Programming Contest II: A Game about Walruses

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 09, 2015, 08:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 09, 2015, 04:31:00 PM
If you guys don't mind that Linux entries are judged by a different judges, potentially skewing the results a bit (eg some people might use 6/10 for good graphics and others will use 8/10 for the same quality of graphics), then yes Linux support can be added

The reason why Linux was not added is because I, the judge, knows zero thing about Linux, let alone have it installed anywhere. Only platforms I own were added. But if you don't mind seeing Linux entries judged by someone else then you can use Linux now.

OS X is ruled out until further notice because none of the CW staff might have access to a non-broken Mac computer on January 20th
Btw, DJ, you should get Ubuntu. It's easier than ever to use Linux. You could install it into a virtual machine.

Also I have a fun idea for a game: A game for Android. If you loose your whole phone gets wiped :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

The problem is I had so much bad luck with computers in the past that I cannot guarantee using Linux would be successful in time for contest judging, even if I get help. And I don't want to risk ruining my self-esteem again like everytime I did computer or software setup in the past just in the middle of holidays.

The last time I did such software setup I had to let someone I trust remotely take control of my PC to do it for me because I couldn't figure out anything I had searched nor that he was telling me.

So I need a backup plan, which would involve different judges for Linux entries. That is the main challenge by allowing that many platforms.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Too bad i can't join in the contest :P

Quote from: DarkestEx on December 09, 2015, 04:32:38 PM
Also I have a fun idea for a game: A game for Android. If you loose your whole phone gets wiped :trollface:

There was a game that deleted itself when you won it. IIRC a decade back or so one of the last copies was sold to a guy who was going to play it on stream. The only video ever released was just the guy sobbing in front of his PC...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

There are people who actually sold such games? O.O

I hipe such game won't make it into the contest, though, else most people won't even test it and thus, it will stand no chance at winning
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

That's quite cool :) I've only heard about games which would delete themselfves or save states if you cheated in them yet. Can you recall the name of the game?
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

JWinslow23

This is an interesting contest! I might try to come up with an original game. Might be a puzzle arcade sort of game.

Only thing is, the huge 24x24 size (and colors) of most of the sprites don't go too well with the relatively small 96x64 screen size of the TI-84+...if I do a sprite size such as 10x10 or whatever, and make a bunch of walrii types (as many as I can), would that be fine? If not (or even if it is), I'd do a cutscene between levels or something with a walrii animation in 24x24.

Dream of Omnimaga

There is a 16*16 :walrii: in the first post of Walrii Fanart @JWinslow23 that you can use. There is even a 8*8 one but  unlike the 16*16 one, it's not animated.

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 09, 2015, 05:38:16 PM
There is a 16*16 :walrii: in the first post of Walrii Fanart @JWinslow23 that you can use. There is even a 8*8 one but  unlike the 16*16 one, it's not animated.
Thank you for pointing me to that, I didn't see it. And that 8x8 sprite was made for Desolate's 8-lvl gray magic, not for me :P If I make a entry, I will use as many walrii from the topic as I see fit, and I'll have quite a few originals.

Now to conceptualize the game  :w00t:

p4nix

Are the NSFW walriis allowed? And how child-friendly has my game to be? Can it be flashy and stuff?  8)
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Yuki

If you make a game for Linux, there's good chances it also works on Windows and OS X too, porting it should be easy enough. If you need help about that you can always ask me.

Also, DJ, Linux Mint in a VM. Works out of the box. Again, if you need help, ask me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

brentmaas

Can I do multiple entries? If not, can I kinda cheat by doing an n-in-1 game?
Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

@JWinslow23 that's fine, as long as the game also includes one of the originals. :)

@p4nix NSFW is discouraged, since voters are mostly under 18 or voting from public computers. However, if you insist on including the NSFW walrus (the marijuana leaf-shaped one) then you should put (NSFW) in your topic title and we will mark the entry as NSFW as well to warn downloaders. Of course, stuff like shock imagery, harmful softwares or anything that blatantly breaks the forum rules is not allowed.

@Juju you can't help people on their code directly, but if you have fast ways to convert a program to Mac or libraries that allows doing so then that's fine.

@brentmaas They will count as 1 entry. They should be in 1 zip file and if possible, 1 multi-game install/launcher with some menu to select the game.

Unicorn

I definitely want to participate, but could I submit WalrusAdventure? It might help me finish it :P If not, I'm sure I could make something up.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Ideally you should probably make a derivative such as an actual RPG (with different dungeons and a difficulty curve based on the dungeon). You could also do a puzzle game based on the game maybe?