Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Game mock-up graphics and ideas

Started by tr1p1ea, February 08, 2015, 06:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tr1p1ea

I thought that I might start a mock-up thread since they are always interesting :).

Here is the one I posted in DJ's other thread. This is a simple xLIBC demo of a concept DJ posted a few months ago:

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder how speed compare with 8x8 sprites? Also those tiles came up very well in 16x16. Did you have to edit them manually?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

The sprite speed should be a lot faster if the main character was 8x8 as opposed to 16x16. I do have another test that has the sprite change direction + walking animation as well.

I resized the tiles manually just in an image editor and did some *minor* cleanup, For an actual project more care would be taken with the sprites etc. I should note that the tiles are still 8x8 but the map just lays them out in 16x16 ... there is a benefit that some parts of different tiles are the same, so those redundant tiles are removed.

I might see what an 8x8 hero looks like :).

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. Honestly this character really looks cool at that resolution. Maybe I should re-use more graphics from RPG Maker XP and VX in the future :P

For xLIBCE, what would be cool is if graphics were stored inside a picture instead of sprite sheet and if it was possible to draw them like this:

With scaling support: real(666,ScreenXOffset, ScreenYOffset, WidthOfDisplay, HeightOfDisplay, PicVarName, SpriteXOffset, SpriteYOffset, Width, Height, TransparentColor, UpdateLCD)

Without scaling support: real(667,ScreenXOffset, ScreenYOffset, PicVarName, SpriteXOffset, SpriteYOffset, Width, Height, TransparentColor, UpdateLCD)

In comparison, here is the syntax on the HP Prime:

BLIT_P(SpriteDestination, ScreenXStart, ScreenYStart, ScreenXEnd, ScreenYEnd, SpriteSource, SpriteXStart, SpriteYStart, SpriteXEnd, SpriteYEnd, TransparentColor)

Of course you could use ScreenEnd instead of width/height so it's closer to HP PPL too. Note that HP PPL allows you to display graphics in 10 different buffers including the LCD itself and those buffers (except the LCD) can be any size. Scaling on the CE would be slow, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

tr1p1ea

Yeah sprite scaling on the CSE is probably going to be too slow - It *might* be a possibility on the new ez80 CE calcs however.

I very quickly resized some other sprites to use to show the character moving in different directions (note some of the pixels are borked).

I also had these graphics lying around - I got the tiles from somewhere, and the character I was looking at some rougelike 8x8 sprites and animated my own :). I literally made this this afternoon with very minimal coding required - xLIBC Zelda walking demo!!!

aetios

Wow, that's awesome :O 10/10 would play.

Wait I don't have a CSE D:
ceci n'est pas une signature

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

The tiles are freaking gorgeous, I'd kill to be able to draw such eye feast.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

That makes me want to get a CSE *.* looks so good

tr1p1ea

In case anyone wants to download and test out on calc + mess around with the graphics/code, here is the link to the program and graphics appvar:

http://tr1p1ea.net/files/downloads/XZELDA.7z

Dream of Omnimaga

I love that Zelda mockup :D

Also the larger CE RAM will give us much more freedom for map size. I absolutely wanted Reuben CSE to be scrolling because the original maps were made to fit in 12x8 and cannot be adapted for 20x15. However, I had to split maps in small chunks (sometimes 4 chunks per area) because I couldn't fit them in the RAM when unloaded. Unless the future DCS for CE limits the size of programs that the copy file to RAM command can handle (I know there's a limit for single line of code copy), then maps of any size will probably be useable.

EDIT: Here are mockups of what could be Illusiat PRIZM maps:

They are entirely based on Illusiat TI-81 remake.

LD Studios

WIP 8x8 sprites. The rock texture definitely needs work.

Dream of Omnimaga

Terraria CSE? :P Looks nice by the way :)

Snektron

Quote from: LD Studios on March 04, 2015, 10:17:18 PM
WIP 8x8 sprites. The rock texture definitely needs work.

Wow that looks amazing o.o  good job :D

LD Studios