Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Ti 84 Progress

Started by Kid_Quasar_Gaming ., January 03, 2016, 05:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid_Quasar_Gaming .

Hey everyone, just joined and had a quick question:
I bought the Ti-84+CE recently and after browsing on here I realized that not many games have been created for it. I bought it with the intention that I could play some version of mario on it, I guess I should have done my research before I got it.

I could just ask to trade for my bro's 84 CSE, but I didn't know if anything was being developed for the 84+ce.

So to  make a long story short, is there going to be a way to play any mario in the future on the 84+ CE, or am I just better off getting the CSE?

Also, what are some worthy titles currently available on the 84+CE

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya, glad to see a new TI-84 Plus CE owner and also welcome to the forums. :)

The reason why the CE has so few games is because this calculator just came out 9 months ago, after most people already bought a 84+ or 84+CSE for school, and most authors did not have time or motivation to port their CSE games to it yet. Also, a lot of programmers were waiting until an emulator comes out or until Doors CE 9 comes out before starting making games. I bet that next school year there will be much more games for it, since more people will have the calculator.

So I would recommend keeping your TI-84 Plus CE. :)

You could also help if you are interested in programming, especially now that the CE can be programmed in C :) (don't start straight with Mario, though, because it takes a lot of effort and experience to make)

As for worthy titles, I would recommend Calcuzap (Galaxian clone), CMonster (Breakout clone), Tetric A (Tetris clone), Pac-Man, Portal Returns, Shades, Puzzle Frenzy, First Fantasy: Mana Force (although I might be biased :P), Mandragore or Androides. There might be many others, so just check ticalc.org ASM section and also some BASIC games for the CSE will run on the CE (such as some of the Snake games).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Hey and welcome to the forums! Don' forget to introduce yourself here ;)

I know there are some pretty cool games for the CE (Like the POTY winner) but I don't think there are any mario games yet :/
But I would still keep it it is a great calc ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Kid_Quasar_Gaming .

I saw something about a web browser when your usb is plugged in, can you get this for my model?

alexgt

IDK about for the CE but I do know that there was a text based browser called gosgamer for the 84+

Dream of Omnimaga

The browser is called Gossamer and is only for the monochrome 84+. I think it was mainly made to show off the calculator capabilities than for being used, which might explain why it wasn't ported to color models yet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 03, 2016, 11:31:51 PM
The browser is called Gossamer and is only for the monochrome 84+. I think it was mainly made to show off the calculator capabilities than for being used, which might explain why it wasn't ported to color models yet.

There's also the fact that there's no CalcNet for the CSE
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Kid_Quasar_Gaming .

thanks for the answers, I was thinking about using it on a PC at school.

Kid_Quasar_Gaming .

Last question: can I program on my calculator with no connection at all?

c4ooo

Yes you can, but only in TI-Basic. You may want to check out http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com for help with Ti-basic ;)
Also, please use the modify button in stead of double posting 8)

alexgt

Quote from: Kid_Quasar_Gaming . on January 04, 2016, 02:35:56 AM
Last question: can I program on my calculator with no connection at all?
Yep! Just press PRGM and then NEW then type in a name and finally start coding.

I have a tutorial on how to program games in basic, and all the basic commands will work for the CE even thought the tutorial is for the 84+. I haven't updated it in a while but it will get you started, but the most importanr thing to do when starting out is experiment!!! But seriously that is how I learned everything I knew until I found CW :P

Dream of Omnimaga

You can also program ASM in hexadecimal form, but I don't recommend it. For on-calc programming, you're better off with TI-BASIC (or Axe and Grammer if you have a 83+/84+).

To send programs to us, you'll need a connection, though, otherwise not many people are willing to copy the source code by hand. If you need calculator connectivity help, feel free to make a new topic. :)