Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What got you into programming and why do you enjoy it?

Started by Sorunome, March 13, 2017, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorunome

So there was this little thing on IRC
Quote23:50 <+l|> <p4nix> Programming is like hell
23:50 <+l|> <p4nix> Sounds cool
23:50 <Sorunome> yes, only worse
23:51 <+l|> <p4nix> But actually, its hard
23:51 <Sorunome> because in hell you have all the time you want
23:51 <Sorunome> with programming you have time limits
23:51 <+l|> <p4nix> Soru
23:51 <+l|> <p4nix> Dont let pressure last on you
23:51 <+I|> <DarkestEx> git pushed :)
23:51 <+I|> <DarkestEx> and synced
23:51 <Sorunome> that is why i enjoy programming, i secretly torture myself all the time
23:51 <+l|> <p4nix> You are still young
23:51 <+l|> <p4nix> Bdsm ftw

So, what got you into programming and why do you enjoy it? ^.^

For me personally I was already fastinated way back with the programming stuff my brother could do, so naturally I had to try out once we got the TI-84+ in school. Because, well, it gave an easy opportunity to start. Prior to that I already did some simple HTML/CSS things, but, well, that's not programming ;)
Anyhow, I somehow sticked to programming, kept on making new stuff.

So, what do I enjoy about it these days? It's the awesome puzzle-solving, trying to think of flexible solutions for your problems. Solutions that would also work in other cases that the original issue didn't have but might help in the future, such things are just awesomely fun. Then there is also the joy of creating something other people use / find useful / entertaining, so there is no holding back for me in terms of programming :D
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

I got into programming because I could unleash my creativity, game making-wise, to its full potential, unlike when I was kid and could only design custom Mario 3 levels with paper and pencil as draft or when the only interactive RPG I could do is a comic book.

However, the debugging and high difficulty of programming annoys me enough to make me quit programming for 6-35 months at a time sometimes, so I usually prefer using game engines like RPG Maker during those times.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

What got me into programming? Using BBC Basic in maths lessons at school when I was 11

What do I like about it? It's immensely powerful, that and the creativity aspect.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, you used BBC Basic? If you still remember how to program it, did you know there's a TI-84 Plus version? O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 13, 2017, 11:43:05 PM
Wait, you used BBC Basic? If you still remember how to program it, did you know there's a TI-84 Plus version? O.O

Alas, I don't have an 84+

Plus I don't want to use line numbers XD
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I forgot you didn't have a monochrome 84+. And yeah the editor is a serious problem and probably the only reason why so few people used BBC Basic for the 84+ D:

kotu

Dream of Omnimaga

kotu

_iPhoenix_

I started programming in visual basic at, wait for it, age 5. I created a slot machine, at age 6, and have ported it to TI-Basic, but a 6 yr old's idea of a slot machine is not too amazing, so I will not post it. I enjoy programming, well, I can't remember NOT programming, so I don't know what I am missing, but it is a great mental exercise and helps (I think) with Math and Algorithmical (#newWord) thinking.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Yuki

Well, in short, been since I was young my family had computers (thinking of that it's been almost 20 years we had Internet!), I always liked messing with computers, I eventually started programming and go to school in programming in order to know more about computers because I was insanely curious.

Still a bit curious, and that's why I try a lot of things on computers.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p2

When I started programming we didnt have a computer. I learned it from my bro on a TI83+ which he learned from a class mate. I spent a couple of years plying around with it, it was ascinating for me.
I then discovered Omnimaga (it was in 2011) and spent most of my time there. I sticked to omni and programming as some kind of refuge (few friends, nothing else to do, finally something I'm good at, finally others like me). Omni became family, programming my main hobby.
Then things changed, I had some friends, was outside a lot, pretty much abandoned Omni. But still did programming cuz I was so used to doing it from time to time, also new programming ideas kept popping up in my head all the time. I quit doing Axe stuff but therefor started AutoIt3 (moved to PCs).
In later school years I did more programming again, it was mainly something to distract me from super boring classes, worked on games all the time on my 84+ and later 84+SE. Now I returned to CodeWalrus and get paied for programming, so I can't really quit anymore ^^
have a walrus
:walrii:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

@p2 yeah same here about computers. I started calc programming about 2.5 years before I got my first computer.

mazhat

Simply: I liked the concept of computers.
I used it all the time, so why not try to understand how it works!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

_iPhoenix_

I got into programming at age 6, doing BASIC (not the TI kind), and I love it because it gives me a challenge (and total control. *insert evil laugh*). It also is really fun, and had I never started I would never had learned most of what I know today.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar: