Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Illusiat XI Eyecandy

Started by aetios, November 13, 2014, 04:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Well if leveling was fun i would care it takes long. Instead is't just endlessly the same
attack animation.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 26, 2015, 07:48:24 AM
You mean like that week when I beat twilight princess in 4 days after 60 hours of saved gameplay ? :P
Nah I mean like how in an actual RPG, you start at level 1, for example, and you need like 100 experience points to reach level 2 and higher stats. You gain experience by defeating enemies but in some games you will need to fight about 30 monsters, if not more, to gain a level. Sometimes this can take a long while if the enemies are hard or if you need to beat like 100. MMORPGs often try to get you hooked and buy experience boosters with real money to speed up grinding so they try to make grinding as slow as possible. What sucks the most, though, in all RPGs, is if enemies are so hard that you need to come back to the village after every battle. >.<

In regular RPGs, leveling up speed is also sometimes slowed down to artificially increase hours of gameplay.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It's probably about the game's economical goals. WOW (IIRC) comes from a time where in-app purchases were only a nightmare, not a reality. Now, F2P model has taken over. Just look at Elder Scrolls Online. It became F2P with a tiered subscription to boost progression because it was revised for the current gaming business model.

But well, I remember MOTHER on NES being very hard to make up with the fact that the game was relatively short as the NES doesn't have access to a lot of ROM memory.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Even Starcraft II has somewhat became F2P, except that unlike MMORPGs, there is no in-game purchases. What I hate the most though is when a game requires a monthly subscription to play.

Also back on Illusiat, some of my games had grinding issues as well, although it was worse with specific ones. Illusiat 6 Original (back before easy mode was added, halving enemy HP), Illusiat 7, Illusiat 12, Illusiat 13 and Reuben 1 are quite the grind fest. ROL2 makes it hard to level up as well, but more by the fact enemies are very hard and you start with low HP. You actually level up somewhat fast. Also sometimes you lose characters for a long period of time and when you get them back, their level count is barely increased.

In ROL1 case it's more backtracking that is a problem. In many occasions you have to travel back and forth from the very start of the game to halfway through several times in a row. That said, all my games had their share of backtracking issues where after completing a dungeon you always had to exit it manually rather than being warped outside immediately after the fight. This is something I might need to fix in future games (if any).

Illusiat 11 (2002) grinding isn't too bad. In fact it's the opposite because of that infamous Graveyard area. This is why I think remakes should introduce experience caps for enemies like in Kin Master Quest or at least increase late level experience requirements.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U