Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Restauration and modernisation of an old rotary dial phone

Started by DarkestEx, June 09, 2015, 06:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok thanks. I was wondering because I once accidentally set my grandmother's phone into some weird mode and had no clue why dialing had stopped working. I thought that the phone was broken until I pushed a switch on the side, which fixed the issue. I guess that pulse dialing is not supported by every phone company here.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 24, 2015, 08:12:23 PM
Ok thanks. I was wondering because I once accidentally set my grandmother's phone into some weird mode and had no clue why dialing had stopped working. I thought that the phone was broken until I pushed a switch on the side, which fixed the issue. I guess that pulse dialing is not supported by every phone company here.
Same here, though most homes in Germany including ours are using VOIP telephony entirely. Our phone, internet and TV company is not even having a phone network anymore. They use the TV cable and modulate the TV and Internet (+VOIP) signals into it. A special transceiver is sending, receiving and demodulating the electromagnetic signals over the cable.
I had to buy (or build) a converter that turns the pule signals into DTMF (tone dialing) which is then sent to the phone system, which in turn converts it to ISDN and sends it to the router which turns it into VOIP and in turn sends it to the transceiver which sends it away.
Yea that's all inside our house. We also have our own DNS server and some webservers. I am administrating all these systems as my dad has no real clue what's going on ;)

Also I ordered and paied the new replacement parts for my phone and they should arrive next week. Then I can repair it once more.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

It's a shame that some old technology that was once used for decades will soon be useless worldwide. For example, some old video games that only had online multiplayer, but where the network shut down, are no longer useable. While in some cases progress is good, old stuff becoming useless after becoming so popular for decades kinda feels like a waste. >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 24, 2015, 08:26:55 PM
It's a shame that some old technology that was once used for decades will soon be useless worldwide. For example, some old video games that only had online multiplayer, but where the network shut down, are no longer useable. While in some cases progress is good, old stuff becoming useless after becoming so popular for decades kinda feels like a waste. >.<
I absolutely agree. Though very often people are restoring and recovering these technologies and build devices to keep them compatible with new things. It's good that people do that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true, but not everyone has the knowledge to do that, sadly. So a lot of those old things ends up in pawn shops or landfills (I bet a lot of CRT TVs suffered that fate when people decided to upgrade to HD cable TV  services)

DarkestEx

Good news, I got the missing parts today and the phone works again :D

novenary

DarkestEx

alexgt

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 03, 2015, 10:48:07 PM
Awesome!!! Now connect it to a calc and have it dial remotely :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 03, 2015, 10:48:07 PM
I'm late but I'm glad to see you got it working again. I hope it continues working in long terms. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

@DarkestEx  have you seen this?  http://hackaday.com/2015/11/18/old-school-rotary-phone-gets-gsm-upgrade/

Rotary phone upgrades/modding seems like it's not that uncommon, which is kinda cool. :)

Also imagine if you would have made Hackaday front page O.O

alexgt

Since I don't have a phone I should go to school after modding it like that and say "Hey guys I got a phone :3"

That would be awesome :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Something funny would be if someone modded a rotary phone into a cellphone or vice-versa, so that the case remained somewhat similar to DarkestEx's phone, but more portable while still using the rotary interface. There would be the issue about where to place the screen, though (if any)