Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CC17: Unicorn

Started by Unicorn, July 10, 2016, 02:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on August 07, 2016, 07:15:09 AM
So it turns out that there is a compression routine, so I'll be using that, and only having a few pictures, the rest being drawn using rectangles and circles and lines.

The whole program takes up like 12 kb so far.
What about the terrain and train?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 07, 2016, 02:13:57 PM
Quote from: Unicorn on August 07, 2016, 07:15:09 AM
So it turns out that there is a compression routine, so I'll be using that, and only having a few pictures, the rest being drawn using rectangles and circles and lines.

The whole program takes up like 12 kb so far.
What about the terrain and train?
Yup, it includes that! The terrain is 16x16 (or it may be 8x8) and the train is kinda large, but the tracks are a small 7x20.

Thanks Darkest!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Unicorn

Bumpdate!

I've made it into three gamemodes, Campaign, Endless, and Bullet.
Campaign acts as a campaign, sort of like an rpg but not as complex. (I only have the base gameplay done)
Endless is endless, goes on forever until you lose, and it saves a highscore.
Bullet is endless but super fast and it doesn't have multiple trains at once. (Because that would be two hard) I'm going to add a separate highscore for this one.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I like those game modes. What kind of RPG elements will you include in campaing mode?

You could add an Endless-Bullet mode hybrid once Campaing has been beaten, which would be too hard but perhaps still possible using tool-assisted means? :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 08, 2016, 07:17:41 AM
I like those game modes. What kind of RPG elements will you include in campaign mode?

You could add an Endless-Bullet mode hybrid once Campaign has been beaten, which would be too hard but perhaps still possible using tool-assisted means? :trollface:
Thanks! In terms of RPG it wouldn't be like a fantasy one, you are really just role-playing as a switch operator at a railroad, with a bunch of options, like bribing people, as well as problems some problems. You will be able to upgrade things, like in an Rpg, but it really isn't one. :P

And yeah, maybe an endless bullet mode with multiple trains.. :trollface:

EDIT: Here's a screenshot!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Someone should make a TAS of bullet mode when the game comes out publicly O.O

Unicorn

Haha maybe :P

So, here's an update!

- I've tweaked the menu screen around and added high-scores for both bullet and endless.
- I've created a story-line that displays when you enter campaign mode
- I've created an option to toggle the story (Pressing [Graph] )

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice :D. Adding a story was a nice touch.

On a side note I think the arrows should be more visible, such as maybe yellow. I hope you finish in time for the end of the contest. :)

Unicorn

Thanks! I don't think I'll be making the arrows more visible just because it would take to long the way everything is ser up currently.

Anyways, I've done things!

- Added more text to display balance and whether story is on
- Added a balance
- Added balance incrementing as you let trains through
- Added balance deduction when you crash
- Added messages for when you crash or go broke in campaign mode
- Fixed AppVar storing. (highscores and balance)

Screenshots tomorrow!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool to see progress! :) Can't wait to see the final result

Unicorn

Thanks!

So a question: Any idea why my setPerk() functions aren't displaying their strings?

setPerk function:

void setPerk(int perkName, const char perkStringName, int y) {
gfx_SetTextXY(15, y);
if (perkName == 0) {
gfx_SetTextFGColor(148);
gfx_PrintChar(perkStringName);
} else if (perkName == 1) {
gfx_SetTextFGColor(8);
} else if (perkName == 2) {
gfx_SetTextFGColor(5);
}
}

Calling of setPerk() :

gfx_FillScreen(gfx_black);
gfx_SetTextScale(2,2);
gfx_SetTextFGColor(8);
gfx_PrintStringXY("Upgrades", 40, 1);
gfx_SetTextScale(1,1);
// 0 means unavailabe
// 1 means able to buy
// 2 means bought
setPerk(slowDown1, "- Slower Trains 1", 50);
setPerk(slowDown2, "- Slower Trains 2", 60);
setPerk(moreMoney1, "- Better Paycheck 1", 70);
setPerk(moreMoney2, "- Better Paycheck 2", 80);
setPerk(moreMoney3, "- Better Paycheck 3", 90);
setPerk(track1Switch, "- Upgrade Track 1", 100);
setPerk(track2Switch, "- Upgrade Track 2", 110);
setPerk(track3Switch, "- Upgrade Track 3", 120);
setPerk(track4Switch, "- Upgrade Track 4", 130);
if (started == true) {
while (!kb_AnyKey()) {
}
}

Any ideas?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, did you manage to get this solved and submit the entry in time?

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 31, 2016, 06:22:07 AM
By the way, did you manage to get this solved and submit the entry in time?
Yup! I submitted, and because I have no school tomorrow, I can work more on it :D

Anyways, here's my posting/explanation of the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a reaction based game. You must open the switches and allow trains to pass through before they crash into them.
There are four gamemodes, Campaign, Endless, and Bullet.
In campaign mode, whenever you open a switch for a train, you make money. If you let a train through without opening a switch, the train crashes and you lose money.
Endless mode just goes on forever, and you try to beat your highscore.
Bullet mode is exactly the same as endless, just without multiple trains and much faster.

Without further ado, here's a screenshot showing my making money, then buying upgrades, and then toggling things, and then playing other gamemodes. Pretty much every feature ;)

Also, if you want, check out the readme:

_____           _  __         __       ____                             __                               __              __  __        _                         
  / ___/_      __ (_)/ /_ _____ / /_     / __ \ ____   ___   _____ ____ _ / /_ ____   _____                / /_   __  __   / / / /____   (_)_____ ____   _____ ____
  \__ \| | /| / // // __// ___// __ \   / / / // __ \ / _ \ / ___// __ `// __// __ \ / ___/    ______     / __ \ / / / /  / / / // __ \ / // ___// __ \ / ___// __ \
___/ /| |/ |/ // // /_ / /__ / / / /  / /_/ // /_/ //  __// /   / /_/ // /_ / /_/ // /       /_____/    / /_/ // /_/ /  / /_/ // / / // // /__ / /_/ // /   / / / /
/____/ |__/|__//_/ \__/ \___//_/ /_/   \____// .___/ \___//_/    \__,_/ \__/ \____//_/                  /_.___/ \__, /   \____//_/ /_//_/ \___/ \____//_/   /_/ /_/
                                            /_/                                                                /____/                                               

v2.1

About
------------------------------------------
This is a reaction based game. You must open the switches and allow trains to pass through before they crash into them.
There are four gamemodes, Campaign, Endless, and Bullet.
In campaign mode, whenever you open a switch for a train, you make money. If you let a train through without opening a switch, the train crashes and you lose money.
Endless mode just goes on forever, and you try to beat your highscore.
Bullet mode is exactly the same as endless, just without multiple trains and much faster.

Installation
Send SWITCHOP.8xp to your calculator using TI-Connect CE or TiLP.
Make sure you have the latest version of the C libraries - https://github.com/CE-Programming/libraries/releases/
Run it with Asm(prgmSWITCHOP on the homescreen, or install Cesium to run it - https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1372

Gameplay
   Menu:
      - You can press [Graph] to toggle the story when starting campaign, and use the Arrow Keys to Select a gamemode.
   Campaign Mode:
      - You have a balance that starts at $10
      - Whenever you open a switch for a train, you get anywhere from 1-10 dollars, depending on the upgrade you have.
      - If you let a train through, you lose anywhere from 15-7 dollars.
      - You use the money you make to upgrade your system and get pay raises. You can make trains go slower, make more money per train, have switches open for longer, and make switches automatic. Once you have automatic switches, you win the game.
      - You can reset on the upgrades screen with [Alpha]
      - If you end up with no money, you lose and have to start over.
   Endless Mode:
      - This is just the base game. If you let a train through with a switch open, you get a point, if you don't open a switch for a train, you lose.
      - If you get far enough, you will have to open switches for multiple trains.
      - Try to beat your highscore!
   Bullet Mode:
      - This mode is an extension of Endless, just 2-3 times faster, and without multiple trains.

How to play
   [Clear] exits every screen.
   [9] opens the top track
   [6] opens the second top track
   [3] opens the second bottom track
   [-] opens the bottom track

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn that game will be really fun to play I think. The screenshot is impressive. Why does the screen randomly flickers with red at the start of the screenshot, though?

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 31, 2016, 05:33:05 PM
Darn that game will be really fun to play I think. The screenshot is impressive. Why does the screen randomly flickers with red at the start of the screenshot, though?
That is when I'm toggling the story ;)

And thanks!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???