Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CE] Oiram CE

Started by MateoConLechuga, September 10, 2016, 07:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MateoConLechuga

Animations are updated every 3rd frame, and simply require addition. So every single animated tile is updated in that frame, which takes pretty much no time since additions are super quick in assembly. The real slowdown occurs when there is more than 50 things on the visible portion of the screen, but even then it is still totally playable.

tr1p1ea

I like the utilisation of the bottom half, it looks very slick indeed!

p2

so you dont use different animation speeds? ^^
ok then it's almost similar to how I did it in my first game xD (hoped I could learn a new method) ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

MateoConLechuga

Well I can speed up animations easily by just changing which frame I want to update in I guess. But it's easier and faster to just update everything

p2

I added a list to the tile IDs (each animated picture got its own number "X" in the list) and change the frame of the animation after X milliseconds, using modulo on the current time (miliseconds) ^^
that way I was able to add different animation speeds (plus different number of tiles for different pics by using a second list), but it then sadly slowed down the game... :/
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

xMarminq_

Your most recent update seems a bit laggy  :P
Looks choppier, is that CEmu to blame or...
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

MateoConLechuga

CEmu allows you to skip frames in order to produce smaller images. By default, it is set to 3 frame skips; I just didn't bother to change it to none. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on November 30, 2016, 10:21:59 PM
Animations are updated every 3rd frame, and simply require addition. So every single animated tile is updated in that frame, which takes pretty much no time since additions are super quick in assembly. The real slowdown occurs when there is more than 50 things on the visible portion of the screen, but even then it is still totally playable.
If you ever need to display that many things at once on a regular basis near the end of the game, what you could do is only display a maximum of sprites per frame and cycle between them, so that some don't always show up each frame. They would flicker NES style, but the speed would remain constant. Or you could make it like most NES/SNES games where if there are too many sprites on the screen, then it won't show any extra one until the rest is moved out of the screen (for example, in Secret of Mana, if you get 3 enemies to follow you, then no more enemy will appear until you kill one of them or one gets out of the screen)

Nice update, by the way :). I think that if the game has different worlds, then the HUD should have backgrounds representing the world type. For example, if you're in world 2, then the sky would be orange with a gradient, the floor made of miniaturized sand floor and there would be pyramids or cactuses in the background. World 3 could be plain blue with fishes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

Finished pipes and vines:

Also need to work on:
Slopes
Boss
Level end
Fish
Water movement
Raccoon Oiram
Game loading

And yes scoring and timer were temporarily disabled while I move things around :P

Dream of Omnimaga

I know this is pre-made graphics, but this is just too beautiful and it's progressing fast. :)

How is the speed on a real calc, btw? IIRC CEmu runs slightly faster than the real calc but that might have changed in recent versions.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

The speed is the same. DMA is mitigated by storing the sprites in the archive. :P So it runs at exactly the same speed you see in the screenshots; maybe like 1% slower but that's about it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. I remember Pokéwalrus running at like 2 FPS on-calc and 2.5 on CEmu.

Also what are those random pixels in the HUD? ???

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 02, 2016, 04:25:45 AMAlso what are those random pixels in the HUD? ???
I blame whatever optimization program I ran the gif through :P

p2

they are slowly appearing, more and more of them... I wonder what would happen if you let it go on like this for an hour ^^

The dots appear after random time delays (>40 frames to 1 frame)
They dont just appear but also disappear, bot only a few of them
Drawing lines from dot ot dot in the order of their appearance results in some rnadom c...
looking at the coordinates of the appearing dots gives no results (random data it seems)
looking at the timingsof the appearing dots gives no results (random data it seems)
looking at the colors of the appearing dots gives no results (80% white, the rest is colors used in the game like the darg green from the pipes)

@MateoConLechuga: You suck at creating hidden messages :P
But dont worry ur still a great game dev ;D

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

xMarminq_

Will you add the tanooki suit next, along with its >>>>>>P?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations