Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Alien Breed 5 Episode III: Impact

Started by JamesV, December 21, 2015, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tr1p1ea

MateoConLechuga

Wow that is simply incredible. Are you reusing a lot of the internal z80 code?

JamesV

Quote from: MateoConLechuga on September 07, 2017, 01:37:35 AM
Wow that is simply incredible. Are you reusing a lot of the internal z80 code?
Thanks Mateo! Correct - both the TI-83+ non-colour version and the TI-84+CE colour version compile from the same source code, just with some bits of calculator specific code for anything graphics related. The game should play almost identically on both calculators, with the exception of having a slightly larger viewing range on the CE, as well as a HUD.

JamesV

The shooting sprites are now finished, and I've also improved the functionality a little to more closely match the Team 17 original. Here you can see the machine gun (still with no wall collision/explosion animation), twin laser, flame arc, plasma rifle and flamethrower all in action in colour:

Whilst I was at it, I've updated the shooting sprites and functionality on the monochrome version to match as well. On the left are the old sprites from v2.1.0, and on the right are the updated sprites which are just scaled down and monochrome'd from their colour counterparts:

I guess these screenshots also show what the same level/section looks like in both the colour and monochrome versions (I'm yet to do the colour spaceship tiles) :)

tr1p1ea

The animations look great! I love the flame arc :).

Seeing it working on both platforms is pretty special :).

Dream of Omnimaga

Very beautiful JamesV, and yesterday ganjahusky approved as well. Good job so far :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

xMarminq_

Are you doing all episodes for the CE and will there be a level editor?  :blah: I live on level editors.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

JamesV

Quote from: xMarminq_ on September 13, 2017, 11:33:30 PM
Are you doing all episodes for the CE and will there be a level editor?  :blah: I live on level editors.
Yes both Episodes 1 & 2 will be available on the CE along with the new Episode 3 (which concurrently will also be available on the monochrome calculators).

And yes, I am indeed planning on releasing a Campaign Editor so that people can create their own levels / campaigns, which should include all the features of the built in campaigns, eg. mission briefings, triggered events, ability to have multiple entries/exists per level (choose your own path through the campaign), etc. Again, the campaigns will be playable on both the CE calculator and the monochrome calculators.

When I get to the stage of developing the Campaign Editor, I might be in touch for your suggestions/feedback, as I know you've been hard at work developing some great work for Oiram! :)

JamesV

I decided to attempt to recreate the menu screen from the original Amiga game, and it's now working! The camera is flying through a star field, panning on x/y at varying speeds, and alternating on z between flying forwards and backwards (also at varying speeds). The stars are each drawn in 1 of 8 shades of grey, depending on their current depth.

Unfortunately the GIF doesn't really do it justice with pixel artifacts resulting in some static stars and the flashing logo border not appearing very smooth.. But it looks much nicer running in CEmu, and even nicer again on calc :)

I'll try to back port this to the monochrome version as well.

Ranman

Pure sweetness. :thumbsup:

Which Amiga did you own? I had an Amiga 600 with an internal HDD and the M68030 accelerator and a Genlock. I kick myself for selling it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89 HW1, TI-92+, Casio 9860G Slim, Casio fx6300, Tandy PC7
Ranman
Bringing Randy Glover's Jumpman to the TI-89 calculator. Download available at Ticalc.

_iPhoenix_

@JamesV the gif will come out better if you set frame skip to its lowest setting in CEmu.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

JamesV

Quote from: Ranman on October 15, 2017, 02:33:52 AM
Pure sweetness. :thumbsup:

Which Amiga did you own? I had an Amiga 600 with an internal HDD and the M68030 accelerator and a Genlock. I kick myself for selling it.
We had an Amiga 500 with a RAM upgrade to 1MB (I think standard was 512KB). So it wasn't top of the line, but for a 10 year old kid it was pretty cool :) We don't have it anymore, but thankfully with the magic of emulators, I'm still able to play a lot of my old favourites!

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on October 15, 2017, 03:10:55 AM
@JamesV the gif will come out better if you set frame skip to its lowest setting in CEmu.
Yeah I had it on the lowest frame skip setting, which I think captures at 15fps. Although I'm not sure if that can be increased by increasing the CEmu render rate up from 30fps - I might try tonight. Regardless, I'm just happy to have CEmu. Trying to debug this routine without it would have been a nightmare :P

JamesV

The TI-83/84+ monochrome equivalent:

JamesV

Small update on the CE version.. I've added in a couple more tiles, finished the explosion and door opening animations (although the latter isn't demonstrated here), finished the one-way laser beams, and drawn a placeholder alien sprite :P I'm having trouble getting the aliens to look how I want when reducing the original 32x32 sprites down to 16x16 (I suck with pixel art), so I might need to ask for help at some point - I'll see how I go :)

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U