Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How fast can you read?

Started by c4ooo, February 12, 2016, 01:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Does that one calculate the exact speed at which you can read or do you select the speed like in the first post?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 14, 2016, 05:07:57 PM
Does that one calculate the exact speed at which you can read or do you select the speed like in the first post?
You select the speed in intervals of 10 wpm, all the way up to 1000 wpm
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Travis

It seems like I once heard of a reading method like this. It's an interesting concept, being able to read without moving the eyes. On the other hand, when I'm reading I often don't read in a perfectly linear way. If I feel like I missed something I'll often immediately jump backward to an arbitrary point briefly to reread a few words, and other times if I get bored or am looking for something I may start jumping ahead. And how fast I can read comfortably with decent comprehension depends greatly on context, my purpose of reading, and how fast I happen to be able to process information at the moment. This method seems to force linear reading at a set rate, which could be cumbersome at times.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g
ticalc.org staff member—http://www.ticalc.org/

Dudeman313

Quote from: Travis on February 14, 2016, 11:13:44 PM
It seems like I once heard of a reading method like this. It's an interesting concept, being able to read without moving the eyes. On the other hand, when I'm reading I often don't read in a perfectly linear way. If I feel like I missed something I'll often immediately jump backward to an arbitrary point briefly to reread a few words, and other times if I get bored or am looking for something I may start jumping ahead. And how fast I can read comfortably with decent comprehension depends greatly on context, my purpose of reading, and how fast I happen to be able to process information at the moment. This method seems to force linear reading at a set rate, which could be cumbersome at times.
I agree. Sometimes the way you read depends on yourself.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Quote from: Travis on February 14, 2016, 11:13:44 PM
This is essentially what I said a few posts up, many people 'skim' across a text jumping ahead reading a couple words at a time to gauge what parts might be interesting or important.
ceci n'est pas une signature