Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Improved Commandblock GUI, a WIP MC mod

Started by Max Leiter, January 17, 2016, 10:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Leiter

I've decided to try getting back into MC modding, and my current idea is an improved command block editor. Basically, it will be a completely clientside mod that will replace the current (terrible) commandblock GUI

with an improved, more "IDE" like one (multiple lines, auto-close parenthesis, etc).

I plan to make the mod using MinecraftForge and will use the GuiOpenEvent for launching my GUI. Alternatively, I may use reflection to simply modify the current textbox with a custom, more advanced one, but I think I want to add buttons and stuff too.

If anyone wants to throw together concept art, knows of a pre-existing mod similar to this, etc please comment or lmk.

It will be opensource as soon as there's a working prototype.

If anyone wants to make some concept art (can be very rough) about how this should look that would be much appreciated

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Multiple lines would definitively be nice, and perhaps make it clearer, so people know what to do there, such as how to insert commands or delete them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

brentmaas

You could use multilines in combination with the new command block chaining. That would make programming them a lot easier.
Lel I glitched Omni

ben_g

Quote from: brentmaas on January 18, 2016, 10:35:39 AM
You could use multilines in combination with the new command block chaining. That would make programming them a lot easier.
So that it would almost become a programming language that compiles to commandblocks, which can even have simple ifs with the command blocks in conditional mode? That would be so cool. Probably also quite hard to make though.

Snektron

Well while you're at it you could make a high level language to command block compiler too :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

And while you re at it, port ruby :P

Anyways, sounds like a cool idea, this would probably have made me more interested in cmd blocks.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Max Leiter

I've decided to work with a more familiar language (JavaScript) to make a webapp that can be easily integrated into websites. More info coming soon...

I did, however, write up a pretty nice TextBox GUI object that supports newlines, highlighting, etc. Will probably opensource it at somepoint

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol it would be funny we could port Axe games to Minecraft command blocks and have them run on a big screen. The server lag would be atrocious if this didn't use mods, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

brentmaas

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2016, 07:09:51 AM
Lol it would be funny we could port Axe games to Minecraft command blocks and have them run on a big screen. The server lag would be atrocious if this didn't use mods, though.
If you agree on using mods, why not ComputerCraft or OpenComputers?
Lel I glitched Omni

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: brentmaas on February 04, 2016, 12:16:08 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2016, 07:09:51 AM
If you agree on using mods, why not ComputerCraft or OpenComputers?
You would need to ask Juju in the Minecraft server thread. I don't know if he wants to use such mod, but it could be a nice addition if it doesn't crash the server all the time and if it doesn't require restarting the map from scratch.