Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Eiyeron's pixel paint room

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, December 17, 2014, 08:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

What could you have lost? Important details? I remember some games weren't updating these lines, like TMNT on NES.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

For example, if you make a 2D beat-em up game and the entire energy bar, score and lives section is gone missing, or if you make an RPG and you can't see your stats.

I doubt that for example, a straight port of First Fantasy would be fun to play like this:

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeeah, If I were to port your RPG, I would go for graphical tiles or smaller font. :p

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 03, 2015, 02:20:56 AM
For example, if you make a 2D beat-em up game and the entire energy bar, score and lives section is gone missing, or if you make an RPG and you can't see your stats.

I doubt that for example, a straight port of First Fantasy would be fun to play like this:

Makes me think of some game (Can't remember exactly anymore) that didn't support my screen size and i had to play like this <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Lots of legacy games doesn't support recent resolution. I remember Age of Empires II not wanting to get outside of 800*600, 1024*768 and 1280*1024... Oh and FX games are strangely working in Prizm : if you ever get into the grapgisms, may God have pity on you. ^^

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, one notable example was Starcraft (640x480). And Interesting. I thought that FX games would crash or something when it comes to graphics. On TI calcs you have to change some code and memory addresses.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Yeah but you'd think that it would do some kind of resize to still make it fill screen, even if it has a greater resolution.

You know what really grinds my gears too? when a window is too big for you monitor and you can't close it / see the top
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 04, 2015, 06:55:17 AM
Yeah, one notable example was Starcraft (640x480). And Interesting. I thought that FX games would crash or something when it comes to graphics. On TI calcs you have to change some code and memory addresses.

I meant Basic Games.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok lol, and yeah I remember how on the PRIZM they were scaled up automatically, unlike CSE BASIC games.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

And Drawstat suffered from one change : when asked for no plotting the points, it still did, making graphisms ugly and not working anymore...

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right I remember that. It's a shame because look at what the Zelda guy did in pure BASIC on the 9860G. O.O

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Eyup, it's a great thing he did there, but we would still suffer from the pixel tricks we had to use, like using some point cordinates to have some kind of line, and it wouldn't work on Prizm because of the 3* scaling factor...

CKH4

• Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It seems so, I haven't tested it but I recognized the graphisms. (Zelda GB ripoff! :) )

CKH4

That calc must be very impressive in terms of speed or at least the basic is like xlib.

Also I haven't played Zelda GB :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+