Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Games that should be on CE calcs

Started by Dudeman313, February 01, 2016, 10:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

There are very few utilities for the CE series. Those who can make basic games should create those that can be run without DCSE.
The biggest thing is that wa already have amazing games for other calculators.
Not all game should be brand new ideas.
I like how AB5 is now in dev. for monochrome and the CEs.
If anyone can code this calc, port stuff!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

novenary

Well, the more powerful CPU and bigger screen allow for more complex programs, just porting old things wouldn't do the calc justice even though it would be cool.
I also don't see any reason to avoid Doors, or any other shell. These can be expected to be on most people's calculators, because they are handy, and for BASIC programmers they provide extra features like xLIB on the CSE, which I think is going to be ported to the CE (not sure at all).

Dudeman313

I just think that there are some awesome things that the CE cannot have, like TiBoy and Zelda, zMegaman, Mario, etc.
These would look great in color.
I'm not against other shells, I'm just impatient because Doors 9 for the CE is not finished yet.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

You could also make some games :)

A lot of CSE owners got their calcs too recently to justify the purchase of a CE (which came out afterwards) so it will take a while before all ges are ported. Not to mention that fewer people programs for calcs nowadays.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

novenary

Time to learn ! :)
I don't have a CSE myself but I might consider buying a CE to mess with it.

Dudeman313

Did you mean CE? I have an 84+ CE, not a CSE.
Where could I find some help with this?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think Street meant the CE. The problem with the monochrome models is that most people now buy color calcs, so games released for monochrome calculators are much less popular nowadays (kinda like the TI-86 when the TI-84+ came out), the CSE has been discontinued or at least is no longer being sold in most stores, so its popularity will most likely dwindle very fast in the next years. The CE has more popularity potential since it's their successor, but since it's so recent it will take a while before many games are made.

Then there is the question about whether the TI-84 Plus CE crowd is made more of people who are looking for games or people who wants to create them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I want to play cool color games, but I really want the experience of making one.
The answer is "Sure."

novenary

If you read the small text, it makes sense that I said CSE. :P I really don't like it.

Dudeman313

If you wait till summer, you could get one for $88 at your local Walmart.
The answer is "Sure."

novenary

pimathbrainiac

IMO, what CE developers and users need to realize is that they are working with something insanely powerful compared to every other TI-8x series calc. The processor is most comparable to the 68k series processor (the Motorola 68k) (only the ez80 24 bit, not 32 bit). The 68k series was superseded by the Nspire (I still prefer my TI-89 Ti to my Nspire), but I digress. Basically the CE is to the 8x monochromes as the Nspire is to the the 68k series, only better. Don't waste the potential of the platform. Use it to it's fullest.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dudeman313

I know, right? The thing is so awesome. I just wish someone could port all those awesome games for monochromes to the CE in full color. Can you imagine playing something like Super Mario, Desolate, or zMegaman in full color?
The answer is "Sure."

SiphonicSugar

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 01, 2016, 10:43:58 AM
There are very few utilities for the CE series. Those who can make basic games should create those that can be run without DCSE.
The biggest thing is that wa already have amazing games for other calculators.
Not all game should be brand new ideas.
I like how AB5 is now in dev. for monochrome and the CEs.
If anyone can code this calc, port stuff!
Well remember to hold your horses here. The TI-84 Plus CE is a new calculator.  There is so much more to discover about it and the community is working on ways to get past TI's nonsense (I think hopefully).

So it will probably be a while until people will actually start porting all of these games and libraries over. Or maybe even a while until more CE exclusive games are made.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P