Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

KnightOS

Started by Yuki, November 18, 2014, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Really nice :D although the takes a bit to load.
This can maybe be used for an online IDE which can run your program
w/o downloading and uploading it to an emu first?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

If KnightOS ever gets an on-calc programming language, then this emulator could definitively be useable to develop programs. The best part will most likely be debugging, though, for people who use ASM/C. But yeah as long as this uses KnightOS and Bootfree/any other custom Boot code, you should be able to use this emulator without having to provide your own ROM.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on January 01, 2015, 03:02:59 PM
Really nice :D although the takes a bit to load.
This can maybe be used for an online IDE which can run your program
w/o downloading and uploading it to an emu first?
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 01, 2015, 11:02:14 PM
If KnightOS ever gets an on-calc programming language, then this emulator could definitively be useable to develop programs. The best part will most likely be debugging, though, for people who use ASM/C. But yeah as long as this uses KnightOS and Bootfree/any other custom Boot code, you should be able to use this emulator without having to provide your own ROM.
* Juju points to http://try.knightos.org/
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh that's pretty nifty. :D I'M still hoping for the ability to send commands via a browser and sending commands back to the browser, so that we could setup an arcade with highscores that is entirely based on calculator stuff or close. Another cool thing would be if we could link-play accross multiple connections, but I dunno how hard (if that's possible at all) it would be to enable such emulator feature and if it would be worth it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I should poke SIrcmpwn about this. Pretty sure he'd be happy to see his stuff is being used. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

That said, since I was still Omni admin when the 2011 incidents started happening, I hope he didn't hold any grudges that could have resulted into the opposite. I think he would like the idea of such calc-based arcade, though, because I think he once wanted to do something involving calculator games and highscores back then.

I am curious about how hard it would be to make such arcade hacker proof, though. I think for it to be safe, we would need to be able to disable certain keys and emulator features, so that the user won't just plain reset the emulated calc then send an hacked copy of Phoenix, for example.

novenary

He doesn't like you, but that doesn't mean he can't be cooperative. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed, but having seen some more recent stuff with other people, as well as hearing about some much older IRL incidents, we never know :P. Hopefully it's fine, though (besides, after all, if some people use KnightOS here then this means it's more popular.) :)

novenary

About hacking the emulator, it would probably require some browser tricks to replace page resources. Not something the average user could do and I don't think people who can are stupid enough to cheat to get highscores.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I meant hacking as in quitting the game, sending MirageOS/DCS then unlocking game code to edit some of the gibberish in the BASIC editor. Hence why I was saying it would be nice if it was possible to make the emulator redirect to another webpage on game exit or stuff like that, depending of the script used on the said site :P

novenary

Wouldn't be possible.

Snektron

How would you even send it? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

The emulator runs locally in your browser.

Dream of Omnimaga

I suggested the idea because TiEmu did it with 68K calcs compilers. On some TI-89T ROMs, if you compiled a program with TIGCC, you could run it in a single click (Compile+Run IIRC). It automatically pasted the program name on the home screen then pressed ENTER automatically. However, I don't think TIGCC had any control on what you do next in TiEmu (such as exiting the game)