Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

I can give you a cheap vintage computer

Started by Caleb Hansberry, July 10, 2016, 12:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb Hansberry

I went to a yardsale where some dude was selling off his large vintage computer selection, sadly he had already sold any systems that I was interested in, but since they were only $10 each for complete working systems I grabbed a few anyway. If anyone wants I'll ship to them, it's only practical in the US though. I'd use FedEx ground, it's the most economical. I got an IBM PC-XT, with keyboard and monitor, and a IBM PCjr with keyboard, monitor, and power supply,  $10 for each complete system plus whatever it takes to ship it. I also have a TRS-80 Color Computer 1 from 1980, it works fine but has no accessories, would give you for the cost of shipping and it's cheaper to ship.
If you want pics ask or I might post them later, or if an admin doesn't want advertising on the forum let me know. Thanks!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Yuki

Admin is okay with this, is it cheap to ship to Canada?

(Note to other admins, would it it be nice to open a yardsale subforum?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Caleb Hansberry

To be honest no, not really. I'm not certain as to the weight of a desktop, but if it was 60 pounds, FedEx would charge $110 to ship it from Colorado to Quebec.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dudeman313

I'm interested! For how much can you ship to Horseheads, NY? And pics or links to pics would be great!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Scipi

If you can ship to Miami, Florida and are able to withhold one for a few weeks until I get a place established, I'd gladly buy one of those off of you.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Caleb Hansberry

Are you guys talking about the IBM or the Radioshack one?

@Dudeman313  Well lets see, the PCs wont be super easy to ship anywhere except the PCjr body is small and light, but both monitors are heavy and the PC-XT case is thick steel. Now, the TRS-80 I could ship FedEx or USPS for $18 or Priority for $23. The PCs, if they weigh 60 pounds which I haven't weighed them yet, would prolly be around $65 to ship. Cheaper than to Canada but still expensive. But cheaper than anything on ebay :)

@Scipi well I can hold onto it, I think, the sooner the better cause space is tight but it's not going anywhere. I may need to keep the PC-XT for the RGB monitor, not sure yet.

Now, both the IBM systems are valuable and rare, but for you guys I wouldn't charge :) I know I could sell the PCjr, it has no draw for me since it has a proprietary connector for the monitor.

The TRS-80, if you guys want it speak sooner cause it's already listed on eBay. Also I have a few other systems that I'd sell for a normal price, lemme know if there's anything specific you're looking for.

I'll post pics as soon as I can, been so busy today. Heres a pic of the 1980 TRS-80:

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, nice find Caleb. I sadly am not interested, due to the computers I am interested in being gone (eg ZX Spectrum, C64 and Amiga) and the high shipping cost of such heavy item. But hopefully someone can afford one of those :)

Also nice pic. I can't wait to see the others. You should put the pictures in the first post.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

Hmm, that's one neat-looking TRS-80! Those are quite rare over here. However, I'm almost certain that the costs of shipping to Europe + import taxes wouldn't make for a great deal, after all. So I just hope it finds a caring new owner :D Whatever you do with those computers, don't throw them in the trash, ey?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

DarkestEx

Ship it to me. It's just about 300 potatoes in shipping :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: utz on July 11, 2016, 10:44:50 PM
Hmm, that's one neat-looking TRS-80! Those are quite rare over here. However, I'm almost certain that the costs of shipping to Europe + import taxes wouldn't make for a great deal, after all. So I just hope it finds a caring new owner :D Whatever you do with those computers, don't throw them in the trash, ey?
I agree. While I would never hold hard feelings if someone did that, I wish that back in the days we knew better about our games and computers. I remember parents throwing away NES cartridges when their kids got a SNES and the NES was collecting dust. Also back then we threw away game/console boxes and manuals when they ended up being in bad condition. No wonder why the remaining copies are so valuable nowadays.

And I wish in Canada and USA the Commodore 64 and Amiga had caught on like in Europe. I guess we were too busy with our Atari 2600 and NES back then...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Caleb Hansberry

Well, I'm not the type to throw away anything computer related :) except I did throw away a broken Celeron motherboard so I do have my limits.

And yeah you're right, shipping to Europe isn't very practical for something over 13 ounces. $60 for a 7 pound item to the Netherlands for example.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Caleb Hansberry on July 12, 2016, 06:53:20 AM
Well, I'm not the type to throw away anything computer related :) except I did throw away a broken Celeron motherboard so I do have my limits.

And yeah you're right, shipping to Europe isn't very practical for something over 13 ounces. $60 for a 7 pound item to the Netherlands for example.
Could you please weight the items and post the results in kilograms? :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

unregistered

Oh ! I remember this computer, it was rather expensive !! (my familly could not afford it)
There's a z80 microprocessor inside  oops  9_9

utz

No no, this is a TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1, aka Coco 1. It has a 6809 CPU. A little odd, but quite powerful chip. It also has a very nice 6-bit DAC sound generator. Made a sound routine for it a while ago: https://soundcloud.com/irrlicht-project/pcmplay-test1-dragontandy-coco
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403