Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Is the TI community over?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 22, 2015, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, the strange thing about the TI community is that it actually nearly died in 2008, with almost all forum discussion being off-topic and no release at all, then for some reasons activity skyrocketed like mad in 2010, even though by then smartphones had already been supposed to have their toll on calc programming. It's possible that there are other factors that influenced activity over the years or that when people see that the face of the community, which is ticalc.org, is late on news or inactive, then they think that the rest of the community is the same.

It was still always a niche group, though. Something I think, though, and someone mentioned it on TI-Planet a few times before, is that if our prominent members or staff participated more outside of their topics by commenting on other people's projects, then this would encourage people to finish them more, even if sometimes some of the comments don't necessarily have much content other than praise. Not only that, but it would make calc sites look more like a community.

It might also be worthwhile for us staff to check what are individual members hobbies outside calculators (I think we have a topic about that, right?) to see if we could expand towards those topics.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

general interest gravitates toward general science with a slightly higher peak at the more nerdy subjects: Programming, gaming, SciFi, anime. I don't even need a graph to tell you that :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Just as long as the site doesn't become 100% about Minecraft, then I'm fine. :P

EDIT: I also fear that CodeWalrus might have arrived a bit too late. Perhaps it should actually have opened one year earlier, or at the very least right after the Omni broken topic links controversy?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U