Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Olympics 2016

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 05, 2016, 10:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So who is following the Olympics this year? Personally I don't know on which over-the-air TV channel the competitions are available yet so I'll need to check that out, since I neither have cable nor satellite. I'm quite interested in soccer and the running competitions, though.

My concern, though, is will the Zika virus spread over the world once Olympics are over or will they manage to keep it out of reach from athletes and spectators? And I hope no athlete gets sick from the polluted/contaminated water because apparently it's really bad. It would suck if athletes had to forfeit as a direct result of pollution-related diseases.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

In Canada, Radio-Canada is over the air, the opening ceremonies are beginning right now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice to see RC is still airing the olympics. I know they did it in the past, but nowadays everything is paid it seems so I thought they stopped. Anyway that opening ceremony is cool :D

EDIT: It's probably airing on Radio-Canada radio station too, because they're describing everything in details.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Who thought it was a good idea to let Brazil run the games. That was the worst idea of the decade.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 05, 2016, 11:05:52 PM
Nice to see RC is still airing the olympics. I know they did it in the past, but nowadays everything is paid it seems so I thought they stopped. Anyway that opening ceremony is cool :D

EDIT: It's probably airing on Radio-Canada radio station too, because they're describing everything in details.
The Canadian Olympic Committee is non-profit here, Radio-Canada is state-funded, and the Olympics is a rather big thing, so no problem about that. It's always traditionally been on Radio-Canada and I don't think there's anything who could stop them.

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on August 05, 2016, 11:41:58 PM
Who thought it was a good idea to let Brazil run the games. That was the worst idea of the decade.
Eh, that's better than nothing. The problem is, the locations are decided 7 years in advance and most of the towns who enter think they'll improve significantly in 7 years if they get the Olympics. Of course, big cities like Paris and London are a sure bet, but I do think the CIO will want to help cities less developed to develop just with the Olympics effect. Some of the towns who hosted the Olympics grew significantly before hosting it.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

princetonlion.tibd

One of my Dad's friends is the China Women's Soccer team's captain, I think. That's the only thing I know about the olympics besides that it's in Brazil and it's the first olympic games to take place in South America
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Yuki

Yep. Countries to watch are, as usual, USA, China and Russia, but I do hope Canada get more than 1 gold medal. 18 medals total wasn't that bad in 2012, but only one gold... Hope they do better.

Anyway, the opening ceremonies were pretty nice, a bit of the environmental side, guess they wanted to pass a message, especially with the Amazonian deforestation.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

Hopefully canada will be able to do well in women's soccer..
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on August 05, 2016, 11:41:58 PM
IIRC they were considering pulling out of Brazil due to construction delays and safety issues, but it seems like they went with Brazil anyway. But yeah, the issue IMHO is that the olympic cities are decided too early in advance. Anything can happen within 7 years, such as an economic collapse. Plus they are too expensive, especially with security, and stadiums that risk becoming white elephants once the olympics are done.

Also bribery is a serious problem.

Yuki

They got a lot of problems with doping testing, hope they figured it out in time. They banned quite a lot of Russians and other people and they would still be there if it wasn't for some guy at the CIO finding out there was some bribery and other weird stuff with that.

And yeah, kinda weird the women are that good at soccer and the men aren't. Why can't we watch them at some sort of Women's World Cup or something? Canada would definitely own that thing. Oh well, go Canada!

(also we need olympic walruses)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

c4ooo

Unicorn

lol juju there was a womens world cup a few yaers ago. :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on August 06, 2016, 06:28:57 AM
They got a lot of problems with doping testing, hope they figured it out in time. They banned quite a lot of Russians and other people and they would still be there if it wasn't for some guy at the CIO finding out there was some bribery and other weird stuff with that.

And yeah, kinda weird the women are that good at soccer and the men aren't. Why can't we watch them at some sort of Women's World Cup or something? Canada would definitely own that thing. Oh well, go Canada!

(also we need olympic walruses)
Well IIRC at first they wanted to ban Russia from the Olympics completely, but finally changed their mind. I'M sure many athletes from other countries will try to cheat too, though, since there are bad apples everywhere. Also there was a Women Soccer World Cup in Canada last year IIRC, right? There were even games at the Olympic Stadium.

Something I wonder, though: If Russia would have been banned completely from the Olympics for being involved in steroid scandals, would there have been chances that they retaliate by sending army troops to attack the most influential countries that voted for the ban? I know it would be a risky move from their part, but I am wondering, since they seem quick on the trigger sometimes...

Yuki

Turns out it's a Canadian lawyer who found out the whole doping thing was sponsored by the Russian state itself, who in turn alerted the IOC and IPC (the paralympics IOC). The IOC decided to delegate the banning rights to the different sport federations, which explains why only half of the athletes were banned. Two Russian athletes weren't concerned that much by the whole deal, though, and were authorized to participate as independents. The IPC, unlike the IOC, decided to outright ban Russia as a whole.

Anyway, the job were mostly done by international organizations which do not represent a country in particular, and, as a country member of said organizations, you don't want to c with them. Neither with Canada.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN