Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

X3D - A 3D engine for TI68k & Nspire Calculators

Started by catastropher, June 27, 2015, 02:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMachine02

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 28, 2015, 09:23:27 AM
Next thing you know someone made Assassins Creed Unity for calculators :P

Only the Nspire could do that  :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

ACUnity? i'd prefer Team Fortress 2! :p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

CKH4

I'm sure most people would. It's less resource intensive but the downfall is that it's (pretty much (I think that there's an offline tutorial)) multi only.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on June 28, 2015, 07:56:34 PM
ACUnity? i'd prefer Team Fortress 2! :p

The point was it was something that uses a lot of system resources :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Why not just a spinoff rather than a game port? It could even be 2D and be based on Assassin's Creed and Team Fortress. Of course it could use X3D too. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

catastropher

Quote from: TheMachine02 on June 28, 2015, 09:50:55 AM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 28, 2015, 09:23:27 AM
Next thing you know someone made Assassins Creed Unity for calculators :P

Only the Nspire could do that  :P

Challenge accepted  8)

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on June 27, 2015, 10:49:32 PM
I'm amazed at the speed and the quality of the screenshot you gave us. 3D untextured solid? Collisions? Cinematics? Mazette!

Thanks! :) Just wait, there is much more to come!

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on June 27, 2015, 06:34:15 AM
Looks good, as before. Keep going :)

Thank you! Also, thank you for writing the optimization tutorial! It will be a great help! :)

Quote from: CKH4 on June 28, 2015, 08:10:46 PM
I'm sure most people would. It's less resource intensive but the downfall is that it's (pretty much (I think that there's an offline tutorial)) multi only.

While I don't think X3D could handle anything that complex, it will certainly have multiplayer support. The idea is that both calcs have synced random number generators, so the only data that needs to be sent back and forth is which keys each player is pressing. That way, both calculators are actually running separate copies of the game and the data sent back and forth is minimized :)

Quote from: TheMachine02 on June 27, 2015, 10:25:19 AM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 27, 2015, 09:49:44 AM
Whoa, awesome! So how good does this compete against glib for example?

You should note that the screen is a 68K screen  :P  It hasn't been writed for z80 yet.

Also, I did try that few year ago on z80, it worked, (1 portal bring down the whole scene to about 9 fps) but the main issue that I encounter is that the cliping is a very expensive method to use on z80 (that is, no div or mul command), and should be evited. But it is still definitly doable.

Yeah Z80 support will be much harder to achieve, but X3D is very aggressive with culling things that aren't visible. First though I have to get the engine rewrite working for the 68k calcs!

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 29, 2015, 07:45:33 AM
Why not just a spinoff rather than a game port? It could even be 2D and be based on Assassin's Creed and Team Fortress. Of course it could use X3D too. :)

My hope for X3D is that it could be used to both "port" other games and be used to create new games. I had posted this list of planned features on Omnimaga, but no one really took notice there so I'll post it here as well :)

• It's now a library so anyone can use it in their code!
  • Cross platform (currently builds for TIGCC/GCC4TI and GCC)
  • Levels constructed of convex interconnected prisms instead of cubes (so you could have e.g. an octagonal prism tunnel)
  • Three different types of portals - these will allow a portal gun and so many other neat features (will discuss later)
  • Vector graphics for textures i.e. line art (like the holo switch) drawn on walls
  • Moving objects (like e.g. robots in Descent)
  • Materials that can be attached to a face e.g. glass, which mean it's breakable
  • Doors
  • A simple scripting language?
  • Moving platforms
  • A simple physics engine for collision detection
  • Weapons
As always, thank you everyone! You're all giving me a lot more motivation to work on it! :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-83+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-92+, TI-89 Titanium
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh nice to see it's a lib. Also it's good that it supports both TIGCC and GCC4TI since TIGCC hasn't been updated since 2009.

As for Portal, assuming you mean like the game, I wonder if it will lag much when seeing through portals, especially 9 iterations of them?

Keep up the good work :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

catastropher

Well, though I hope to one day support a system to make a game of Portal, "portal rendering" refers to a rendering technique to allow efficient clipping and determination of what geometry is visible. In the old version of X3D, levels were made of connected cubes that share a face. This shared face is a "portal" from one cube into the other (which is a like a portal in the game "Portal"). So, to answer your question, the old version of X3D ran at about 15-20 fps with 10 portals visible, as can be seen in this walk-through (though there were a few glitches):

[spoiler=X3D Walkthrough][/spoiler]

In the new version, I'm hoping to get this even faster :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-83+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-92+, TI-89 Titanium

Snektron

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Now I know what kind of game it made me think : Antichamber, because the whole "all white, outlines in black". Obviously it lacks color for the gun/cubes/props.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Yeah i thought of that too. it would be awesome if you could make Antichamber in it, thohgh it probably uses a lot of FBO's and Shaders

utz

Wow, this is slick! I'll give it a whirl on my newly obtained TI-92+ when I find some free time. Also, glad to see that the rumours about the 68k scene dying out aren't quite true ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

catastropher

Quote from: utz on June 29, 2015, 08:00:38 PM
Wow, this is slick! I'll give it a whirl on my newly obtained TI-92+ when I find some free time. Also, glad to see that the rumours about the 68k scene dying out aren't quite true ;)
Hey thanks! The only thing is that that version of X3D was an old version from April. I probably could find a build of it if you wanted to give it a whirl though! :D I'm hoping to get something working for the rewrite soon though, so stay tuned!

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 03, 2015, 01:33:58 AM
This looks amazing O.O

Ya think?

Isn't the z80 series faster though? I'm suprissed that this can run on the 68k calcs O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???