* WalrusIRC

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: Videoway device  (Read 4325 times)

Offline xlibman

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • Super User
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Post Rating Ratio: +99/-4
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • @djomnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
Re: Videoway device
« on: July 16, 2016, 02:02:12 pm »
Where did you find that info Gameblabla? It's really hard to find anything about it on the Internet because it was almost completely forgotten.

And yeah it was not only rental, but also required a Vidéotron cable TV subscription. The fee people that managed to keep the device probably threw it away when it stopped working.

What I wonder though is where the games were loaded from. Was it from the cable TV signal? It seems to me it was kinda like the Satellaview.

I absolutely loved the Videoway. When we moved to Illico, sure we had way more channels than we had before (towards the end of the Videoway's life it was pretty much billed as the cheaper version of Illico iirc), sure it had an interactive menu just like the Videoway, and it no longer looks like a NES (fancy graphics!), but, I dunno, it wasn't the same. There was less games, and they ended up being a paid service. Anyway, yeah, the games were probably downloaded each time we wanted to play, I do remember they added/removed/closed for maintainance some once in a while, the main menu overlay changed once in a while, too.

Yeah. That was my childhood.
Videoway was a paid service too, just not as expensive and you still needed a separate analogic cable subscription.

EDIT: Also they were ahead of AppleTV by years :P

http://twitter.com/videoway/status/641677065276784640?s=09
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:17:32 pm by DJ Omnimaga »
  • Calculators owned: TI-57, 73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX (semi-broken), HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games