Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Dream Calculator/Crappy Portable Computer

Started by SiphonicSugar, May 15, 2016, 10:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiphonicSugar

Well hello everyone! After endlessly staring at the Dream Calculator Topic for a while (http://codewalr.us/814), I thought, "MAN! Some of the calculators seem pretty crappy, but a lot of them seem really good!"

After that, I thought for a while, and came up with this: People rant all the time about limited functionality for TI calculators mostly, so why don't we knock out two birds with one stone? We (or probably just me) can compile together a list of specs from different dream calculators. Then this calculator will be made. Then build guides will be posted, and places that you can buy this calculator from. It would have maximum functionally and you would be able to do many things on it.

SO!!! (Sorry about the craziness) Here's what I ask of everyone on the forums who actually care:

Create a list in your post that gives the processing speed, ram amount, storage amount, GPU, type of storage (electronic, mechanical, etc), type of screen and size (monochrome or color), IO ports, internet or no internet, the name of this "dream calculator", and the price range. Please add any comments under your list.  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

alexgt

Well, my dream calc would be a HP Prime plus a few features: Except it would also have a 3.5mm IO port, and a micro sd slot for more storage, internet capability and Bluetooth would be nice too. Also it would be great if HP PPL would let you control communication with linked devices also. Sadly all that would be 200-250 USD I am guessing <_<
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dudeman313

Immagonna ignore the rules of this thread to say this:

This is a great idea! Maybe someone could also use something like Autodesk's 123D Circuit making services to actually build the thing virtually before it's made physically? I know that one of Autodesk's services has Arduino  built into it...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

SiphonicSugar

Hmm... I haven't thought about that. I will look into it.  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Note that a new calc would be a big undertaking and none off the third-party calc project ever came to fruition, because people usually didn't realize the amount of work it was at first then gave up. But if you were gonna do a new calc, then I think it should have enough memory and a fast screen, but it's OK if the resolution and processor speed isn't as fast as the TI-Nspire CX and HP Prime, for the following reasons:

-Cost (it would be nice if the calc was as cheap as possible but still more powerful than the TI-84+CE)
-Most people code for the TI-84 Plus CE because it's fun to push old-school hardware to its limits and they like retro gaming. Those who prefer more powerful platforms usually go straight for smartphones or PCs then ignore the TI-Nspire CX or HP Prime

That said, if you go for a powerful calc, then you could always provide an old-school language like PICO-8 does with computers.

But yeah, such project would require a lot of planning, checking various sites for parts to ensure that they fit together, among other things. Then it's not guaranted to be allowed at school exams. So maybe it's better to revive Microcat or team up to revive it? I'm thinking something like the Gamebuino, but slightly larger and with larger RAM, screen and CPU, would be better.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U