Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

I need help with Axe Parser [Can I Axe you a question?]

Started by CKH4, January 06, 2015, 09:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Error on what command?
EDIT: Oh you removed it...
Scroll along sir... nuffin to see here
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

TIfanx1999

It's worth mentioning that even in asm, 8lvl gray doesn't look that great on calc. Some of the grays end up looking really similar. The other problem is that the hardware is inconsistent. Even if you get decent gray on your calc, it might look really bad on someone elses. I'd recommend sticking to 3 or 4 level personally.

Dream of Omnimaga

Plus on the regular 83+ calcs, the contrast is so bad that only about 6 of the shades of gray will be visible at all. If you set the contrast low enough to be able to distinguish dark gray from black, then light gray will become white and vice-versa. It's generally best to stick to 3 or 4 level (4 level being the most supported since sprite design is much easier with it)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Actually today i did some experiments with shade()
grayscale and could possibly display a reasonable 6+ level
gray (probably bad for your calc though)

Dream of Omnimaga

Grayscale is not bad for the calc. It just eats batteries faster in some cases (I think it's worse in hybrid BASIC or in older grayscale libs, probably because they are less optimized and more resource-demanding. 6 level would definitively be feasible, although I wonder how sprite data would be stored? How much larger would it get compared to standard 3, 4 and 8 level grayscale sprite data (3-4 uses two layers and 8 three)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

I'm considering 8lvl grayscale by displaying different buffers for different lengths of time so that you get faster higher quality grayscale. You'd put stuff that you'd want to display the lightest on the main buffer and darker on each buffer used after. Each buffer would be assigned a numerical value so that you know what buffers to combine to make certain shades of gray. Is this even a possibility? I'll try it tomorrow to see if it works.

I'm taking what I know to make a grayscale pong game, I'll post my progress when I'm done. How do you display a variable as the characters instead of the gibberish?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Hayleia

Quote from: CKH4 on January 09, 2015, 02:44:01 AM
How do you display a variable as the characters instead of the gibberish?
You can read the Commands.html file included in the zip with Axe. You'll see that you need to use ▶Dec.

Snektron

Quote from: Hayleia on January 09, 2015, 05:34:49 AM
You can read the Commands.html file included in the zip with Axe. You'll see that you need to use ▶Dec.
▶Char *

CKH4

Dream of Omnimaga

An Hayleia draws near! *.*

But yeah, when you download Axe it comes with full documentation as well as some optimization tricks (although I don't remember if it's up to date). There is also an instruction manual that isn't up to date but still gets the basics done. Otherwise, this list can be helpful http://www.omnimaga.org/axe-language/specific-tutorials-list-%28axe%29/ (assuming the links aren't broken) . I think there was also an Axe commands list available online, but I don't remember the exact URL.

EDIT found it: http://axe.eeems.ca/Commands.html

EDIT: Edit-ninja'd by next two posts x.x

Of course feel free to ask help if you still need any, as some people might know Axe. :)

Snektron

CKH4

http://axe.eeems.ca/Commands.html
I looked but when I used it it didn't seem to work, I finally realized that it was being drawn over by something else.

Edit.
Ugh, you beat me by like 2 seconds.
Also thanks for that tutorial link.

TIfanx1999

I'm considering 8lvl grayscale by displaying different buffers for different lengths of time so that you get faster higher quality grayscale. You'd put stuff that you'd want to display the lightest on the main buffer and darker on each buffer used after. Each buffer would be assigned a numerical value so that you know what buffers to combine to make certain shades of gray. Is this even a possibility? I'll try it tomorrow to see if it works.

I'm taking what I know to make a grayscale pong game, I'll post my progress when I'm done. How do you display a variable as the characters instead of the gibberish?
That's pretty much how grayscale works (on calcs). For 4 level, the "dark buffer" is displayed 2/3 of the time and the light buffer is displayed 1/3 of the time. If a pixel is clear on both buffers it will be clear. If a pixel is on on the light buffer, but off in the dark, you get light gray. If a pixel is off on the light buffer and on in the dark buffer you get dark gray. If a pixel is on in both buffers you get black. Hope that makes sense.

*Edit* Also gonna agree with DJ: 6 level is probably the most you could get away with where you can reasonably tell the difference between shades across most models. Other wise, you lightest gray looks white and a few of your dark grays will be near indistinguishable. I'm not saying 8 hasn't been done, because some people have. If you really want to do 8 I might stick with using it for still pics. It'll also take up a lot of time displaying all the different buffers and you won't have a ton of time to work with for game logic.

CKH4

Ok thanks, until recently (for a span of 5 days) I used buffers displaying for the same amount of time and the darker the pixel was supposed to be the more buffers I would put it on.

I'm trying to improve builderboys string physics program by making corrective center velocity. I am attempting to make inward velocity when the X coordinate is grater than or less than 48 (the center) and the Y coordinate is more than 42. I have been trying to do this by changing A (x velocity) positive or negative but it doesn't seem to work.
Here is the original code:
.AXE
ClrDraw
48*256->X->I
32*256->Y->J
0->A
0->B

Repeat getKey(15)
X+A->X
Y+B->Y
B+8->B
getKey(3)-getKey(2)*16+A->A
getKey(1)-getKey(4)*16+B->B

If abs(X-I)->[r1]*^[r1]+(abs(Y-J)->[r1]*^[r1])>576
X-I//24->N
Y-J//24->O
A**N+(B**O)*~1->K
If K<<0
K**N*3//2+A->A
K**O*3//2+B->B
End
End

Circle(X/256,Y/256,4
Line(48,32,X/256,Y/256
DispGraphClrDraw

End

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Hayleia

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on January 09, 2015, 06:35:11 AM
▶Char *
Oops, sorry, I read a bit too fast and assumed we were talking about numbers since that's most usually what you want to display when you don't want to display strings.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 09, 2015, 03:51:41 PM
An Hayleia draws near! *.*
Lol, I should probably introduce myself by the way, for those who don't know me.