Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

StarCraft II

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 11, 2014, 05:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

See topic title :P

I was wondering if anyone else play Starcraft II? I used to play almost every night back when I laddered (I only got to gold, though). Now I mostly play custom team games such as unranked, Big Game Hunters mode and Nexus Wars. I haven't connected in a while since I was busy with this site, but now that most of my urgent site duties are done, maybe I'll have more time to play again and code calc games.

I know that most of you live in Europe, but since the last year or so it is now possible to play on any server regardless of where you live (the game used to be region-locked).

What about Starcraft: Brood War? (yes, that's still a thing. There are 9000 connected users on the old SCBW Battle.net as I write this)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

I have SCII, but I never play it. For some reason, I never preferred SC's style of RTS over C&C and Red Alert. Although nowadays I play Rome: Total War, Wargame: Red Dragon, and EU IV as my main RTS's (EU IV is kinda real-time).
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

I used to play C&C but only on the Nintendo 64. For some reasons for me it was the opposite: Once I tried Starcraft I never could look back (although I didn't mind Warcraft II). Even Supreme Commander didn't appeal much to me. I guess I'm just picky about RTS'es :P

That said, SCII has plenty of arcade games and custom maps that are different from the real game and the game is now free to play (although with no campaing and ladder) so they can be an option as well. For example, I often play Nexus Wars (yay for caging :P)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

I think the main thing that kept me away was that I'm more the base building type. I like to use defence turrets and expand out rather than rely on units, which starcraft demands more on. SupCom's flux economy is what keeps me away from that game. I watch some of the pro's play online, and it's amazing, but I could never figure out how to tech up properly.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see. Yeah I tend to like sending armies into enemy bases and destroy stuff lol. I like big army clashes, though, as well. In SC you really have to balance micro and macro while still doing both properly (although SCII makes it better than SC1 by allowing more than 12 units per groups and grouping buildings on the same key).

novenary

Nope I don't play any strategy games but I have a cousin who used to play SC2 as well.

unknownloner

Well I own SCII wings of liberty, haven't played it in ages though. Haven't played supreme commander in ages either, really need to go back and play that. I think I prefer supreme vommander to starcraft but I couldn't say right now honestly.

/)

GuyInFreezer

Because I saw no mention of this game :D

I tried the ladder few weeks ago since my last time (which was 2010, when the game came out, and ranked silver with all cannon rushes) and earned a shiny bronze rank! (2 wins, 3 losses, All but one encounters being PvP and the enemy coming with oracle rush)
But man, LotV games feel much more different than the previous ones.

These days I mainly do co-op missions (which are great addition to the game imo) and arcade games (mainly monobattles and desert strike).

Dream of Omnimaga

Merged both Starcraft topics together :P

I didn't play SCII in a long while, since my PC currently has overheating issues during such games. I need to fix it. >.<

The highest I went to was mid gold, during season 3, but that was ages ago. I bet I would be bronze level now. I no longer ladder and now instead play unranked or custom games when I play. Also I remember I had a friend in my list there that made his way from bronze to diamond with just 6 pool rushes. :P Also monobattles are fun, as long as you use a map with a time limit at the start to select unit.

By the way, what are the main differences with LotV?

GuyInFreezer

Basically balance wise, Zerg became OP, Terran became sad, and Protoss got this awesome unit called Adept which made already cheesy toss even more cheesy with early adept-warp prism rush.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. I think they made Zerg OP because it was the hardest race (by far) to start with. Most zerg strategies were oriented towards counter-attacking and map control, since attacking head-on resulted into heavy unit loss, especially against turtling Terrans. But I always found that zerg had issues defending against certain strategies, especially Terran marine tank or early protoss air (although sneaking an ovi near their base early in the game then moving it into the base before they get anti-air was effective).

Terran was even harder to defend against in silver because by then, players were faster, but still didn't follow any build order correctly, so they were unpredictable, rendering scouting useless. Someone could get 2 gas early, predicting early air or helions, only to not do any T2 unit and switching to marine/marauder. However, if their initial attack failed hard, then you could win easily because they put themselves behind in their econ.

GuyInFreezer

Infestor's fungal are now a projectile that can be dodged instead of insta-cast like last time, but combined with lurker (which was already a scary unit from BW), Ravager (mutates from roaches that can attack both air and ground with non-targeting ability), and that viper's parasite bomb (90 damage + splash on air units) thing are just too good.

GuyInFreezer

And also the early game design was completely changed so that you are forced to expand early (now LotV maps are littered with expansions) and you now start with 12 workers to "reduce early-game boredom".

Dream of Omnimaga

OOOOOH lurkers are in multiplayer now? O.O They were my favorite BW unit. Does ravager require a Lair upgrade? THe main weakness of zerg is the lack of any anti-air until you get a lair. In Brood War, you could get Hydras early.

I'm unsure if I like the 12 workers thing, though. It seems like they just changed Starcraft II entirely. That basically means RIP 6 pool D: but also expansions are gonna run out fast now. I guess kids nowadays are just too busy and have a lower attention span, so they got bored at slow game starts, except that I liked the freedom it provided.

@GuyInFreezer with the 12 workers start, does every game now start with a worker rush? :P

GuyInFreezer

Haven't seen a cheese that extreme yet but because the current meta tend to expand early with every races, there are a LOT of "early timing push" (is how you write it and "super early forward rax bunkering" is how you read it).