Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Game mock-up graphics and ideas

Started by tr1p1ea, February 08, 2015, 06:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

The second sprite is a standalone wing, right? Or is it a fish?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

JWinslow23

Quote from: alexgt on December 12, 2015, 05:55:52 AM
What is the second sprite?
A fish. I'd make it a collectible for points.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 12, 2015, 09:24:36 AM
The second sprite is a standalone wing, right? Or is it a fish?
What kind of a wing has eyes? :P

...hey...speaking of fish and eyes...what do you call a fish with no eyes? Answer below. :thumbsup:

As well, here is a gif of a Scratch project (unshared, and unplanned to be in the contest, don't worry) I am working on to plan out my game. I've added random obstacles in the form of mines, the same kinds from the animation in the CW promo video. This minus the background is also how far I've come along on-calc (except I've implemented collisions on-calc).

Dream of Omnimaga

This had to be done @JWinslow23

Joking aside, that looks cool. It seems a bit too large for the calc resolution, but you could do it for any platform. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 24, 2015, 08:34:02 PM
This had to be done @JWinslow23

Joking aside, that looks cool. It seems a bit too large for the calc resolution, but you could do it for any platform. :)
Shoot, I made that sleigh sloppily. You really had to do that to your walrii? :P

And thanks. My entire point of doing that was to envision it for the calc platform. It would look awesome! Plus, some Santa-believers (or people who want to humor the people who DO believe in Santa) could show this off to others, and they'd be pretty freaking stunned. You know exactly where Santa is and what he's doing...but it's on a calculator!

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed I had to do it, thanks to our modified Rule 34 :P

As for Santa believing I feel it's more to entertain kids and make them behave during holidays. Over here we were sometimes told that if we misbehaved during holidays, then Santa would not bring us gifts. Also there was always one family member wearing a Santa Claus costume during CHristmas eve and he was in charge of giving presents. It would definitively be a cool Christmas game, though :)

JWinslow23

Of course. However, there are still some adults (and even high-schoolers) that still believe in Santa. I know I did until I lost a tooth but didn't have it by night time to put under my pillow. I was wondering how those $20s got under my pillow without me noticing :P So it'd be a nice "utility" for them, like NORAD's or Google's Santa trackers. Even though it's not real unable to be scientifically explained :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait really? I would have thought this is a kids thing. But again perhaps some people are really convinced that he lives on the North Pole or something.

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

This is a mockup of what could a CE Textlib RPG could probably look like if it had actual sprites:

I bet it would be slow-ish, though. The floor would be a plain color and some sprites would be re-used with different color palettes (for example, sprite 10 and 11 are sprite 1, while sprite 8 is sprite 7), palette that would be defined when entering the dungeon, for both wall tiles. The character would be shorter and its bottom not chopped off, hence why the legs are so long, but its surrounding color would basically be the floor color and its legs would be blue when underwater.

I wonder if such graphics (aside from the colors) would be feasible on the Atari 2600, or even using bAtari Basic? Or what about the Intellivision?

EDIT: Here's another version.

Dudeman313

Wow! It's awesome!
That's pretty cool. :D

*Dudeman313 mumbles something about Dark Link Quest
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks. I really need to try implementing this into a test map engine.

Dudeman313

Maybe that could be one of the contest challenges: to implement this stuff into Illusiat or some other basic game you made...maybe even RQ..... ;)
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

A CE Textlib challenge could be cool, although the audience might not be big since not many people know how to use the library.

Dudeman313

I did not consider that. That's true, though.
The answer is "Sure."