Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Game mock-up graphics and ideas

Started by tr1p1ea, February 08, 2015, 06:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

here is a mockup for a mirage os like shell:

The weird lighting effect are caused because the camera and my lamp are not 100% synced 60 hertz. (its called the rolling shutter effect). The effect would bot be so noticeable if there was a second light source like the sun, or if the lamp was not a foot from the calculator.

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks nice actually. But good luck trying to compete head-on with DCS7, MirageOS and ZStart. I am curious about what are your plana with this, feature-wise?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 12, 2015, 09:34:01 PM
Looks nice actually. But good luck trying to compete head-on with DCS7, MirageOS and ZStart. I am curious about what are your plana with this, feature-wise?
I know it maybe hard, but i plan to take the best of all three shells. The file system will be compatible with doorsCS, so if my shell does not provide a feture that doors does, you can just hop between the shell and all your folder and files will be there. The ui, as you see, will be similar to mirageOS, although some ui stuff will be unique. I dont realy know what unique fetures i will add yet, as i dont know wether this will be aimed at programers or regular users. (probably the first due to the fact that i did not go with a doors like ui.)
But then again, this is after all a mockup, and not a solid project like lazer.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait I didn't know it was possible. I assume you will read the content of the DCS apps, right? Make sure to not alter them in ways that can crash DCS7, tho.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 14, 2015, 06:17:04 AM
Wait I didn't know it was possible. I assume you will read the content of the DCS apps, right? Make sure to not alter them in ways that can crash DCS7, tho.
Well, not rely. The vat, as you may know, serves tios as a look up table for files. A few bytes in a vat entry tell the location of the file, some the file type, and others spell the file's name. There is one byte in each vat entry that does seemingly nothing. Doors uses this byte to store the file's location in the folder structure. For every folder created, doors also creates a hidden file called "%FLDn" where "n" is the folder's id. The file contains the name of the folder. Because the folder file has a vat header, it can be easily placed within other folders. Hope this makes sense :D

Edit: It was hard for me to do this, but i decided not to make a shell. In the end, i will have to try very hard just to get a shell that can be compared to mirage or doorscs, and latter's ui seems to be preferred anyway. :(

c4ooo

Another week, another mockup! JK i said that quizzaciously. I dont plan to make a mockup every week :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: c4ooo on September 14, 2015, 07:00:04 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 14, 2015, 06:17:04 AM
Well, not rely. The vat, as you may know, serves tios as a look up table for files. A few bytes in a vat entry tell the location of the file, some the file type, and others spell the file's name. There is one byte in each vat entry that does seemingly nothing. Doors uses this byte to store the file's location in the folder structure. For every folder created, doors also creates a hidden file called "%FLDn" where "n" is the folder's id. The file contains the name of the folder. Because the folder file has a vat header, it can be easily placed within other folders. Hope this makes sense :D

Edit: It was hard for me to do this, but i decided not to make a shell. In the end, i will have to try very hard just to get a shell that can be compared to mirage or doorscs, and latter's ui seems to be preferred anyway. :(
Oh I was sure that the folders were stored inside the appvar. I hope that RAM clears can't erase our folders like with Mirage.

Quote from: c4ooo on September 16, 2015, 11:24:14 PM
Another week, another mockup! JK i said that quizzaciously. I dont plan to make a mockup every week :P

That looks kinda cool. For some reasons it reminds me a bit of the scenery in Metroid's title screen. :P

JWinslow23

Here are some random mockups I made of thingies. Not gonna make them anytime soon, don't count on ANY of these coming to fruition.

Some Japanese text:

Mario Bros title screen, in selectable Japanese and English:

Every non-Mario thing in Mario Bros:

A new style of Bejeweled, complete with gems (and perhaps special powered gems?) and hypercubes at the bottom:

Hypercube rotating:

Woody...for some reason... :-\

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome work JWinslow :D

I really hope you can manage to get that Mario Bros clone done. It reminds me a lot of the 68K version. Also I like how the Japanese text is anti-aliased.

p4nix

This started as a menu for an Aqu-Wars clone :P

And I also was about to make a space game once:

Well, if I ever make a game, I will use the codewalrus logo and my name as intro :P
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait... wasn't Aqu-Wars color?

Nice art, though. And yeah same, unless it's a small game. I don't want CW logo to take 90% of the file size.

p4nix

Yeah, aqu-wars was color. But I liked 123outerme's concept and tried to do something similar. I've made like 30 different 8x8 sprites and tiles and put them into my C code by hand (in hexadecimal). One shouldn't hardcode :P (I don't hardcode sprites anymore).
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Now I wish that those Aqua Wars game were finished. But I kinda like Uvutu more overall since I am more into RPGs. :P

JWinslow23

I just thought I'd put these gifs here.
* JWinslow23 places them on a table pointed in your general direction, slowly backs away from it, then runs, and watches you silently from behind a corner as you look at them

These are both related to my entry to CodeWalrus Contest #2. Which I may or may not finish.

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX