You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

b/Website Talk Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/Dream of Omnimaga July 30, 2015, 01:35:34 AM
My main worry is that removing it would break the website when browsing from mobile, such as showing errors, but that finally wasn't the case. And apparently we can do it fine, as the Tapatalk staff themselves even explained how to do it, but if they ever decide to disallow it then we can simply get rid of Tapatalk anyway. We average at 20 posts a month from Tapatalk and 300 page views IIRC so we would prefer not losing those, though.
u/Unicorn July 30, 2015, 06:39:41 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 30, 2015, 01:35:34 AM
My main worry is that removing it would break the website when browsing from mobile, such as showing errors, but that finally wasn't the case. And apparently we can do it fine, as the Tapatalk staff themselves even explained how to do it, but if they ever decide to disallow it then we can simply get rid of Tapatalk anyway. We average at 20 posts a month from Tapatalk and 300 page views IIRC so we would prefer not losing those, though.
maybe someone would like to make an iOS/android app for posting on CW?
u/princetonlion.tibd July 30, 2015, 11:14:58 AM
That would be nice, tapatalk is hard to use IMO :P

And/or a free Cw IRC app for mobile :P I just tried efnet and the button to send is tiny.
u/Snektron July 30, 2015, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Unicorn on July 30, 2015, 06:39:41 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 30, 2015, 01:35:34 AM
maybe someone would like to make an iOS/android app for posting on CW?

I don't trust myself yet with authentications. I'm guaranteed to c up somewhere and leave a giant security hole.
u/Dream of Omnimaga July 30, 2015, 03:56:07 PM
I heard before that when a website relies on an external app to make browsing easier, then that website has serious design issues. Ideally we want to focus on making the mobile theme even more mobile friendly if it isn't already. Of course Tapatalk is a nice option when you have a slow device or connection but if not many people are gonna download it just to browse CW, then even fewer people will download an app just for 1 site
u/Snektron July 30, 2015, 04:39:50 PM
You know what would be cool for a mobile site? A side drawer. Also some way to view recent posts on the home screen on the mobile version would be cool though, since i miss that a lot
u/Dream of Omnimaga July 30, 2015, 04:44:36 PM
What is a side drawer? Do you mean the ability to scroll in side navigations? That would be cool. Also maybe scroll bars for the member list so we can see everything but without distorting the page.
u/Snektron July 30, 2015, 04:45:39 PM
It's a menu that appears when you swipe across the screen (horizontally). Walrifier android has one too
u/CKH4 July 30, 2015, 07:53:05 PM
Swipe testing is difficult without a JS lib. Usually a simple button is good enough but if you feel like being fancy slide out menus are cool.
u/Dream of Omnimaga July 30, 2015, 10:24:45 PM
I wonder if @Streetwalrus  might know about it...
u/novenary July 31, 2015, 07:08:07 PM
I'm no web dev. Ask @Juju. :P
u/Dream of Omnimaga July 31, 2015, 07:17:08 PM
Didn't you create the responsive theme, though? :P

Unless of course the sliding thing requires javascript?

Another idea I thought was to not have any animations and simply buttons to expand/collapse the boxes, but the question is where to put them.

What about putting the sidebars at the bottom of the page in mobile mode? I mean, it would be like when we are in the admin/profile panel in classic mode, except that instead of having the navigation/extra content at the top, it would be at the bottom due to not being as important in this case.

EDIT: Also, the 404 page now has a link to CodeWalr.us
u/novenary July 31, 2015, 07:23:00 PM
The responsive theme is just a css hack lol. It works well enough for our purposes though. :3 As for the menu, you need some js yeah.
u/Yuki July 31, 2015, 09:52:18 PM
I think you can do the sliding thing all in CSS.
u/novenary July 31, 2015, 10:02:26 PM
Yeah but to toggle the menu you need a bit of js I think.
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators