Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sorcery of Uvutu PC Port

Started by 123outerme, August 17, 2017, 09:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: c4ooo on August 25, 2017, 12:12:46 AM
What is the 2nd key used for BTW? Cause I think it will be fine to just make enter space and left shift all = 2nd key.
It's used for talking to NPCs and menu selection. That might not be a bad idea, but as for left shift, I was planning that to be the back button in the battle menu, unless you think another key would be better for back (other than maybe backspace, that one's kinda obvious, but I'm "reserving" that for the custom name input screen).

Another thing I'm gonna have to think about; how in the world do I make Code::Blocks spit out a standalone exe? I heard something about having to turn on static library linking, but I can't find where that is in settings... :-|
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

c4ooo

Err, i think it should make a compiled .exe? Because if it never makes an .exe it has nothing to run when you compile? With msvs the .exe is in the project folders, but idk about code::blocks.

123outerme

Quote from: c4ooo on August 25, 2017, 02:13:22 AM
Err, i think it should make a compiled .exe? Because if it never makes an .exe it has nothing to run when you compile? With msvs the .exe is in the project folders, but idk about code::blocks.
It compiles an exe but it can only run when I press the run button in the Code::Blocks editor (meaning that either it needs dynamically linked libraries instead of having statically linked libaries, or it needs me to run some flags when launching it, which is not desirable when users have to use it). Apparently I need to statically link the libraries I use (basically compiling the libraries into the .exe) but I can't find the option. I was wondering if anybody understands Code::Blocks and can help?

c4ooo

What happens if you try to run the .exe though?

123outerme

Quote from: c4ooo on August 25, 2017, 02:26:04 AM
What happens if you try to run the .exe though?
It gives this error: "The procedure entry point InterlockedCompareExchange@12 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\MinGW\bin\SDL_ttf.dll"

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm happy to see this progressing nicely and so fast despite the issues above. I am curious if it would be easy to add an HD mode like what they recently did to the original Starcraft, where pressing the F5 key lets you switch back and forth between the original graphics and high-resolution ones? This would require a lot of pixel art skills, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: xlibman on August 25, 2017, 03:59:43 AM
I'm happy to see this progressing nicely and so fast despite the issues above. I am curious if it would be easy to add an HD mode like what they recently did to the original Starcraft, where pressing the F5 key lets you switch back and forth between the original graphics and high-resolution ones? This would require a lot of pixel art skills, though.
I'm glad it's going well too! It really is going fast, I should just need to program all the NPC dialogue, items, and battles, and I'd pretty much be done! I like the idea of an HD mode! It'd be pretty easy to implement (since all I'd have to do is load a different tilemap to the global texture variable) and if the improved tiles look good, I might add it!

TheLastMillennial

how do you vote in the polls? I want to choose 'other' but I don't know how.

Anyways, I'd like WASD for direction and E as [2nd]
Maybe you can add custom key remapping instead of 1 preset keymap?

Glad this is coming along quickly!  :D
  • Calculators owned: HP Prime G2, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-34, Boring Sharp calculator

Thank you for your time, go make a paradox, have a good day.

123outerme

Quote from: TheLastMillennial on August 25, 2017, 01:54:09 PM
how do you vote in the polls? I want to choose 'other' but I don't know how.

Anyways, I'd like WASD for direction and E as [2nd]
Maybe you can add custom key remapping instead of 1 preset keymap?

Glad this is coming along quickly!  :D
You should just be able to click the option then "Submit Vote", and it'll submit. WASD + E sounds like another good keymapping, but of course I'll try to get custom keymapping done. It may have to be a little hardcoded, but that's ok if it works.

123outerme

No updates on custom keymapping, which is still in the conceptual phase, or being able to run my game without Code::Blocks, which is still in the I-don't-even-know-where-to-begin phase but I do have battles to show off ;)

Here, I also show off NPCs in houses (which I added last update, but forgot to show off), my new take on the name entry screen, and more! I'm really excited to almost be entirely done with the whole engine! Except you can't use upgrade points yet, fight bosses, or acquire items yet, but that'll be easy to do.

Aside from all the gameplay work, I was thinking about maybe redoing all of the "story" in Sorcery (across all platforms) to something that actually fits the title. As I was thinking, I realized that the title had not a whole lot to do with the game. Sure, you can be a sorcerer if you use magic attacks, but it's not something that's forced. Sure, you can say that the World 8 Boss kinda uses a magic attack (if he uses the attack I remember thinking about giving him), but there's nothing about Sorcery in Sorcery of Uvutu. I wanted to get a little feedback from the community, since this would be a really great opportunity to solidify the narrative and stop joking to myself "Sorcery has a plot?" So, in essence, I wanted to know who thinks I should rewrite/redo/actually write the story, since it's been on my mind.

123outerme

Yet again, I haven't worked on configurable key bindings, or world-sized maps. However, I've added chest and boss display (only chest shown off here). As well, bosses properly trigger battles.

I also show off the innkeeper, who actually does heal, and another battle.

123outerme

I'm going back to school tomorrow, so I figured I'd do more work on this project, seeing as I'll probably be working less on Sorcery PC. I figured I'd knock out some features that were looming over my head for quite a while. I got (almost) full item functionality programmed in! Seeing as I'll be more busy, I figured I would make another screenshot to show off these things before I either forgot about what changed or lost steam entirely. All that's left to do now is a few tweaks, adding in the teleport stone drops and functionality, and then NPC and boss text!

Yes, I know the dialog box that pops up here doesn't specify the item. That will be fixed whenever I get around to it, but it's getting later and later and I don't want to oversleep on the first day.

xMarminq_

Though I'd break a quad post with some words:

Great job! Glad you got out those pesky things you did. Good luck on Item Functionality!
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

123outerme

Quote from: xMarminq_ on September 06, 2017, 02:28:40 AM
Though I'd break a quad post with some words:

Great job! Glad you got out those pesky things you did. Good luck on Item Functionality!
Thanks! Didn't notice I had a streak going lol, thanks for breaking it up. I got a lot done, now just for adding some smaller details, and all NPC text!

JamesV

This is looking great! One suggestion I have is that if you added 1 or 2 variations of tiles such as grass, trees, pathways, etc. it would really spice up the look of the maps :)