Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What kind of project are you working on?

Started by Yuki, April 11, 2020, 11:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Kinda curious here, also would serve as a poll for maybe new subforums based on what you're doing now (other than calcs and stuff cause I know a lot of you are no longer into that :)).

My day job involves getting websites to work and Linux system administration, as usual, other than that, I'm working on an English fandub of Dans une galaxie près de chez vous and a revival of my Twitch channel. Other than that, some random stuff I do when bored I post on my blog or my Twitter account. Probably should cross post about some of them in here.

What about you?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't have any project right now, other than my 14th studio album, which only has two songs so far. But I would like to get a personal website in the near future where I can post everything I have worked on, sort-of like a portfolio, and of course it would have links to my social media profiles, music stores, here, etc. Right now I am also checking where I can obtain a cheap domain name that's not a special offer that ends in two years. There's also an RPG Maker 20003 or MV version of Illusiat 1+2 planned for September 22nd 2021. Basically, other than the album, nothing past the planning stages right now.

I didn't know there was an English fandub of Dans une Galaxie :O

And yeah I agree that if you have other projects on your blog then you should post some updates here too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dapianokid

I have taken the quarantine as an oppoetuntiy to learn z80 and ez80 assembly. The ultimate goal is to write a port of calcsys for the TI84+CE but thats a ways down the road. For now, just taking it one step at a time. Might write some simple intermediary programs along the way just to get my feet wet.

Othee than that, I'm working on learning to write music I would be proud to play live. I'm also writing a backing track to a Line Rider video, and transcribing the vocals from You and I by Stevie Wonder foe Alto Sax. Nothing crazy. :)

obj04

I´m writing a new Pokémon game for the Nintendo GameBoy Color.
I develop it right on the Nspire, so I had to write my own z80 ASM compiler too.
Currently, I have to design the tileset; I wanna make the game look similar to the Pokémon games of gen. 3 & 4.

Best wishes and stay healthy!

Lionel Debroux

Working a bit on libti*/gfm/tilp once in a while, I need to spend more time on the matter, but at the moment, I'm dealing with a set of 1990s or early 2000s PCs. I've had these motherboards lying around for nearly a decade, ever since I picked them up while cleaning up my previous job's work place and brought them home several months later.
I knew most of these motherboards were broken, indeed they are, but I've found 6 computers in working state so far. There could probably have been at least 7 if I had taken care of the leaking RTC batteries in 2010-2011: in the summer of 2010, one of the computers used to work.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

nspiredev500

I am actually working an a TI-nspire project right now.
Sadly I seem to be a bit late with that, but I only got mine for school 2 years ago and didn't find Ndless right away.
Also going from Java to C was a bit hard.
Since linux doesn't seem to work on my calculator (maybe because it is HW-AA), I want to create a POSIX operating system that can run alongside the OS.
My long-term goal is to get a usb mass storage driver working and then just kick the old OS out to use the rest of the RAM, and still be able to load programs.
Currently I finished my memory allocator (hopefully without any bugs), it can display a miniclock on the screen and change the normal black homescreen with a standard Windows 24bpp bmp.

I also made drivers for the keypad and the timers, the touchpad driver doesn't currently work on the calculator.
Now I need to make a scheduler and start to implement all the POSIX system calls, or at least the ones Newlib uses.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS

Dream of Omnimaga

It's cool to see new TI-Nspire CX projects. TI's constant updates that blocks Ndless have discouraged a lot of developers over the years, but if unlocked for third-party development, the TI-Nspire CX series has a lot of potential.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

nspiredev500

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 12, 2020, 08:30:53 PMIt's cool to see new TI-Nspire CX projects. TI's constant updates that blocks Ndless have discouraged a lot of developers over the years, but if unlocked for third-party development, the TI-Nspire CX series has a lot of potential.
That is another reason why I eventually decided to try to make a whole OS: the POSIX standard gives a consistent environment to developers.
I want to make my own wayland desktop for the nspire, and with that I could port many other libraries and projects.
One thing that I thought would be nice is to port gcc, so you can develop native applications directly on the calculator.
But the compilation time would probably be a bit long  :P
I hope Ndless for OS 5.x releases before the world has forgotten all the great thing native programs can do with a calculator.
Maybe the newer hardware gets some people to write new programs.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS

novenary

After a long hiatus I suppose it's appropriate to send things off with a necropost, so here we go. :^)

I've been pretty busy.
I wanted to make a custom keyboard, but I needed a way to make the chassis/case.
So I bought a 3D printer and had some fun with it, but I realized I wasn't entirely satisfied with the build quality even after doubling its worth with aftermarket upgrades... so I built another one so I could print harder, better, faster and stronger. This is it:

It prints great. Still need some finishes and the enclosure, but I got distracted designing a new control board for it, so I'm kinda neglecting the build itself.

This weekend I adapted a new light fixture to my ceiling fan. Before/after:

This was necessary because the original fixture expects two bulbs mounted horizontally, but I only wanted one vertical bulb for even lighting around the room. Also, less glare on my monitor this way. The 3D printer was really useful to make an adapter mount (the new fixture is supposed to hang from the ceiling by the cable, but I wanted a rigid mount).

In summary, this is how you make a keyboard:

That aside, I've also been working on my GameCube disc drive emulator on and off. Someone else released a seriously disappointing device and they're now shoveling more mediocre products for other consoles, so I kinda want to show them how to do it right. :P (and also show myself I can actually finish a project)

I also got two 68k calculators recently (an 89 HW1 and a V200), so I might try to get something going for that platform eventually.

Dream of Omnimaga

Pretty neat 3D printing idea! Plus if you eventually use LED light bulbs they tend to last longer when not using an enclosed light fixture. Do 3D printers in general print exactly the same size as you specified or do they print slightly smaller or larger?

As for 68k calculators, the TI-BASIC on them, even without ASM/C libs, is pretty good in terms of functionality, despite being as slow as z80 calcs. There's also a new version of Newprog that came out for the TI-89 recently, which is supposedly similar to Axe in concept.

novenary

It's already an LED light. :P The fixture has a bit of room for airflow though my mount actually blocks the openings at the top so I could improve that eventually, but I don't think it should be a problem at all.

The printer prints as good and as accurate as you build and calibrate it. Dimensional accuracy is already spot on but there's still some room for improvement for small detail quality, I need to spend more time calibrating it. In fact that's really what's blocking the finishing touches, I need to print a few more parts (grills, enclosure parts and things like a cable cover for the print head), and I want them to look good.

For the 68k I'll definitely be going with native code. I was also talking about micropython and building flash apps with Lionel Debroux on IRC the other day. I'd also like to bring up modern languages like Rust and Zig on this platform. This stuff needs some tooling work, so I'll work on it when I'm not too busy with other big projects.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah that's good then about the light/airflow and printer accuracy. If there was a :walrii: 3D model that could be an interesting 3D printing and painting idea. xd

As for micropython, if it was to be implemented on 68k calcs, I'm very curious about how much heap and stack memory there would be. On the TI-84 Plus CE-T Python Edition and TI-83 Premium CE Édition Python calculators, heap memory is extremely limited to the point where pure TI-BASIC is actually superior for game dev. Also, my older TI-84 Plus CE lacks the extra chip required to run python scripts so I need to buy a special device and attach it to my calc if I want python on it. But it's TI we're talking about, here, so perhaps on 68k, maybe there could actually get better heap/stack mem?

EDIT: As for myself, I finished two music albums at the end of February and I've been working on many First Fantasy: Mana Force CE-only updates in the last few months such as the addition of treasure chests, four extra dungeons (via second quest like the NES Zelda), new graphics and fixes, but since 2016 I've only released one brand new game.

I also need to figure out why sig images won't appear in my sig.

novenary

Well I don't really know where the limitations on the CE come from, but on 68k it should hopefully be however much free RAM you have. Especially if compiled as a flash app, because in that case it'll execute directly from flash, while "ASM" programs always run from RAM, even when they're archived. I suspect pedrom might allow you to use even more RAM, but pedrom is no fun. Or one could try to implement a similar trick to TI-Boy, which I believe saves your RAM to flash in order to be able to use all of it.

Dream of Omnimaga

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 28, 2021, 12:13:34 PMTexas Instruments :trollface:
wE cAn't HaVe KiDs PlAyInG gAmEs On ThEiR cAlCuLaToRs NoW, CaN wE?