Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

NHL Playoffs (ice hockey) + bracket challenge!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2015, 05:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE: Juju started a bracket challenge at http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/#/league/97905 :D

So Unicorn suggested that I start a NHL playoffs topic. :P I normally don't do it on calc forums because not many people watch hockey here or even sports altogether (on Omnimaga a few years ago, some staff didn't even know their city had a NHL team O.O), but maybe some people will be interested, especially since it's the playoffs. Anyway, which team are you rooting for for 2015 and if your team isn't in the playoffs then what team do you follow normally?

I am personally rooting for the Winnipeg Jets in the west and Ottawa Senators in the east. Not sure how far those teams will go, especially Ottawa, but Winnipeg will most likely be hard to beat at home because their crowds are almost soccer-like during playoffs and Montreal choked real hard vs Ottawa two years ago. I guess we'll see. :)

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Vancouver Canucks FTW!

Though, they almost lost it in the regular season I think they'll beat Calgary!

Spoiler
[close]

What even is that game?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

Yep, good idea here. The playoffs are gonna be pretty interesting this year. And probably unpredictable. Well, of course it will be one of the best teams this season who will make it to the finals, but, well, you never know... The first odd thing, the Kings, which are usually good and won 2 Cups recently (including last year), didn't made it this year, neither are the Bruins, winners of the President Cup last year. Same for the Islanders, who are unusually good, and the Jets, who clinched their first playoffs since forever?

Personally, I go for the Canadiens. They used to have very good goalers and Carey Price is no exception with his record 44 wins. I'm pretty sure he can singlehandedly take his team to the finals, unless one of the key players gets injuried (I think of Price during the association finals, or Max Pacioretty just before this year's playoffs started, but he's expecting to get back on the rink in time). The playoffs against the Senators are going to be a rough one, though, I think it might end in 6 or 7 games. Same against the Lightning and the Rangers, if they encounter them.

And at the end I'd just say Canadiens vs. Blues because why not.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Unicorn it's a screenshot from Ice Hockey 68K (TI-89). It's a clone of the NES game, but featuring NHL teams instead of the NES teams.

As for Canucks I am curious if this time they'll at least get past the first round. Calgary seems good, although they don't have much playoff experience, but it seems most years St-Louis and Vancouver either gets swept or have a first round exit even after good seasons. As for Habs vs Sens I have the feeling it could be a repeat of 2013, but in 6-7 games instead of 5. :P I think it will really depend of Carey Price and stuff, because if they try hard enough and don't get injuries then Habs could possibly reach the finals like they could have done last year. But I don't think Sens will get past the 2nd round if they get that far because they seem to be the type of team to suprise everyone with a late season push, but with barely any gas left in the tank.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

To bad it is 2 canadien teams pitted against each other. I'd like to see all canadien teams win.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah same. But I guess odds of such matchup happening were high with that many Canadian teams. On the other hand this means there will be at least 2 of them in 2nd round. :P

Yuki

Yeah, every Canadian team made it. Except the Leafs.

Edit: Wait, Oilers too. They're even worse.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Well at least the Oilers improved quite a lot after the All Star break. They are starting to be promising for next season, unlike the Leafs and Hurricanes.

Yuki

You guys should share your picks here before the playoffs begin tonight: http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/#/league/97905
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh yay! I'm happy they're doing the bracket challenge thing too. I added it to the first post. Now to figure out how it works, though, because I didn't with the NCAA basketball one >.<

EDIT: Ok I saved mine.

Yuki

That will be pretty interesting, as I saw your picks are wildly different from mine. The picks will close tonight as the games will begin. One of us will definitely lose... but who?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

Nooooo... I was too late. :(

Curse the extreme western time zone.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I wish I found this earlier. I would probably have posted about it then. >.<

Yuki

Found about it earlier (like yesterday or so?), then forgot about it until the last minute. Blame me. ._.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

So yeah last night the Habs vs Sens game was pretty intense and good. The only bad thing was PK Subban's stupid slashing. I don't think a suspension would have been deserved because it didn't look like he wanted to injure the other player but it was still stupid since it was intentional and he could have costed his teamates the game. They were very lucky to win because the Sens scored on the power play. If it wasn't for the Habs shorthanded goal then they would have went in overtime for sure. Game 2 will definitively be pretty intense. I didn't expect an offensive game from the Habs but it looks like I was wrong.

Also what the hell happened to Tampa Bay's goaltending tonight? O.O I kinda expected that Tampa would have some defense/goaltending issues but not this bad. I wonder if Detroit will end up having an easy series? :P

The next game I am looking forward (but can't watch in decent quality due to lack of paid TV) is Anaheim vs Jets. I hope Winnipeg is better on the power play and don't take stupid penalties like earlier this season. This should be a good series and I'm curious if Winnipeg fans will revive the (real) whiteout.