Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Smartphone technical discussion

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, January 19, 2015, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKH4

Probably the update and the S6 looks similar to the iPhone 6. Anyway I don't think I'll be getting a Samsung again.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

Quote from: CKH4 on April 02, 2015, 09:10:09 PM
Samsung's Android L TouchWiz rom was released a few days ago, here are some screenshots.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Looks quite slick actually! Now if its a bit faster than the 4.x version that would be nice too :P

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 03, 2015, 02:30:00 AM
So Samsung now has their proprietary version of Android? Does it offer every feature that the official Android offers or did they lock stuff down?

Touchwiz is only the GUI, but they have to make their own rom to support their hardware :) Also to have Touchwiz pre-installed and some more
bloatware (*cough 6Gb cough*)

Quote from: CKH4 on April 03, 2015, 04:19:26 AM
Probably the update and the S6 looks similar to the iPhone 6. Anyway I don't think I'll be getting a Samsung again.

Samsung is always crossing Apple, and vice versa. Though Apple doesn't seem to mind when other manufacturers do the same thing.
(For instance, a while ago Apple sued Samsung for Android features. They can't sue google i heard because Android is non-profit, but they don't
sue HTC or other manufacturers too.)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

I checked when I reset my phone a while back and the 6gb includes the os but still the os is only like 2gb without bloat. Also Android L seems slightly faster with the non Samsung stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

In theory, its faster because two big factors : optimization and ART. After all, they have to keep the optimization in place to avoid dropping support to already active phones and to allow constructors to add their bloated craplayer or crapapps without too much problems
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

ART is still in developement. It is available on Android 5 but still heavily experimental and it is recommended you keep using Dalvik.
I tried it once and my phone got incredibly slow, i even had trouble setting it back to Dalvik  :-\

DarkestEx

Quote from: CKH4 on April 03, 2015, 04:19:26 AM
I promise I will never buy me one again too.
Samsungs lo-quality stuff just SUCKS.
Their crappy LCD panels fail directly after warranty, the touch digitizer fails too, our TV (from Samsung) doesn't turn on at times.
NEVER will I buy any device from them again!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Snektron

My sister bought a Huaweii Ascend P6. After a year it just fell apart. The LCD won't recognize touches and has some weird colorings, the backplate just falls off.
Then again my sister is not very cautious with electronics, unlike me >.<

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 04, 2015, 10:48:11 AM
ART is still in developement. It is available on Android 5 but still heavily experimental and it is recommended you keep using Dalvik.
I tried it once and my phone got incredibly slow, i even had trouble setting it back to Dalvik  :-\
I have a unbranded Android 5.0.2 (from Motorola) and it is quite nice! Apparently there's no Dalvik or ART anymore, as the menu to select it, disappeared after the update from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2. So one of them is now established as the new standard. I guess its ART.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 04, 2015, 11:04:23 AM
My sister bought a Huaweii Ascend P6. After a year it just fell apart. The LCD won't recognize touches and has some weird colorings, the backplate just falls off.
Then again my sister is not very cautious with electronics, unlike me >.<
I am extremely careful with all my devices too. I pack them in silicon cases, put display protection foil on them, have them always in my front pocket without any keys or coins in it. And it works for most of the time. But not even that was enough to protect that dumb Samsung S3 Mini. I like the way bigger, cheaper, higher quality Motorola Moto G2 way more and I am totally happy with it.

Snektron

i don't even have a case for my HTC one S, i like them "naked" :P. So far i only have a few dents form the first week that i had it, when i dropped accidently it when i was biking to school.

Quote from: DarkestEx on April 04, 2015, 11:05:39 AM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 04, 2015, 10:48:11 AM
I have a unbranded Android 5.0.2 (from Motorola) and it is quite nice! Apparently there's no Dalvik or ART anymore, as the menu to select it, disappeared after the update from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2. So one of them is now established as the new standard. I guess its ART.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Google also made internal changes to the platform, with the Android Runtime (ART) officially replacing Dalvik for improved application performance, and with changes intended to improve and optimize battery usage, known internally as Project Volta.

Guess you're right, and now you say it, it looks like my (self made) wallpaper runs way smoother

Dream of Omnimaga

I'M pretty fine with my Nexus 5 right now. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but for now it does the job well overall. I'm hoping that it will still do so in 2 years, but again phone carriers here always have crazy offers every now and then.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Snektron

Yeah i like to keep phones for a while too, i've got my HTC one S for almost 2 years now, and im still happy with it. Though i am waiting for Ara to get released ;D

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, Ara is a promising, yet flawed, project. I hope to see progress in this curious thing.

Snektron

YEah me too, though they haven't updated either of their websites :/

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

When you have more news on external sites than your homesite, I wonder if they have really progress on it. I'm not watch them down, I'm just curious about their PA organization.