Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[PC] Wal-Rush! (Scratch/Flash)

Started by JWinslow23, December 14, 2015, 12:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

EDIT: The contest is over! Game is at https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/91337413/ , and you can download the source, .swf, and .exe here!

Original message:
QuoteI have decided I have a high likelihood of participating in the contest. So, I thought I'd post my game in this thread.

At the moment, this game is internally known as "WALRII". I have not decided a name or logo, but the game is going to be an endless flier where you are the walrus, and you must fly for as long as possible, avoiding obstacles and eating tons of fish :3=

I do not have a calculator screenie as of yet, as my calc is out of batteries and I thus cannot transfer the files and record until I change them. So, here is a version in Scratch that I am developing alongside the calc version. Besides fish and a scrolling background, this is also how far along I am with the calc version.

More screenies as I develop!

P.S. if I make the Scratch version public and don't submit it to the competition, would I be disqualified if I try to submit an Axe version? If not, I'll keep the Scratch project hidden.

kegwaan

This game looks like it will turn out fun. I think that you should do something like Crossy Road, where you can unlock more characters to play as. And it will work particularly well with this contest, with all of the different sprites. But good luck! :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow that looks great! I guess you could submit both if they get finished, in one entry, so more people can play it, but of course if Scratch is like Game Maker or RPG Maker then only the calc version would be eligible :P . Just make sure the PC version runs at the same speed on every computer so that it's playable. I hope it gets finished. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 14, 2015, 12:45:04 AM
Wow that looks great! I guess you could submit both if they get finished, in one entry, so more people can play it, but of course if Scratch is like Game Maker or RPG Maker then only the calc version would be eligible :P . Just make sure the PC version runs at the same speed on every computer so that it's playable. I hope it gets finished. :)
Scratch source code looks like this (this is not mine, don't worry):

It consists of commands you do yourself just like regular code, except it's presented in the form of puzzle pieces/stacks and explains what it does in clear language. There's a diverse range of projects on Scratch, all without having the code made for you (well, except for remixes of other people's projects, where their code is given to you for you to tamper with :P ).

I hope to make this a fun game to commemorate the day the walrus started to fly (October 24, 2014 iirc), and to make the obvious game choice based on the trailer :P

Dream of Omnimaga

That looks weird O.O but I guess that can work. In any case, though, I would like to see the calc version finished :P

And yeah CW officially got founded on Oct 24th 2014.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Don't you worry, the calc version will take priority. The Scratch version is just so I can 1. get a version of the game working faster, and 2. work on coding at any time I want, and port that to calc later. Also, who doesn't love multi-platform titles?

(Scratch requires Flash, BTW. I'm using Puffin to test and play on mobile, else I'm doing it on a computer with Flash installed)

alexgt

O.O that looks awesome! How fast does it run on calc and what language will you use for on calc?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

JWinslow23

Quote from: alexgt on December 14, 2015, 01:58:16 AM
O.O that looks awesome! How fast does it run on calc and what language will you use for on calc?
At the moment, my calculator is completely out of batteries, to the point where it won't start, so I can't tell you until I buy more batteries, but it runs pretty fast as I remember it. I'll be using Axe for the calc version (as stated in the topic... :P ). My goal with the Scratch version is also to make it look like how it would look on-calc, so that minus the background, fish, and testing variable display is how the calc version LOOKS.

alexgt

Ahh, ok :P, I saw (Axe/Scratch) in the title right after I posted xD

alexgt

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JWinslow23 on December 14, 2015, 01:40:52 AM
Don't you worry, the calc version will take priority. The Scratch version is just so I can 1. get a version of the game working faster, and 2. work on coding at any time I want, and port that to calc later. Also, who doesn't love multi-platform titles?

(Scratch requires Flash, BTW. I'm using Puffin to test and play on mobile, else I'm doing it on a computer with Flash installed)
I didn't even know there was a browser that supported Flash on mobile devices.
Quote from: JWinslow23 on December 14, 2015, 03:27:48 AM
Well, I found batteries for my calc, and I'm quickly adding the features from my Scratch version. Screenie as soon as I add the fish :3
Good to hear. I hope you don't have speed issues. :)

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 14, 2015, 10:31:47 AM
Quote from: JWinslow23 on December 14, 2015, 01:40:52 AM

I didn't even know there was a browser that supported Flash on mobile devices.
Quote from: JWinslow23 on December 14, 2015, 03:27:48 AM
Well, I found batteries for my calc, and I'm quickly adding the features from my Scratch version. Screenie as soon as I add the fish :3
Good to hear. I hope you don't have speed issues. :)
I've also heard of Dolphin for Android being good (I don't have Android). And thus far, there is a speed problem, but only slight. Part of it could be that my code is entirely unoptimized because readability :P

Dream of Omnimaga

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 14, 2015, 07:35:59 PM
Good luck then. Is the game 15 MHz?
6 MHz if possible, and if not, then 15 MHz. I haven't even thought about using Full yet :P

I said I'd do a screenie when I got the fish, but I decided I'd do it early. Here is what it looks like with the background added. Before you ask, yes, the mines kill you. (also, yes, they're directly ripped from the original flying walrii animation on the HP Prime :P ).

This seems slow to me. Maybe because I'm checking for some stuff I haven't implemented yet, maybe it's because my code is largely unoptimized, maybe both, but I hope I can get a speedup.

Download link attached, run it from the homescreen :P

wx, gung yvax jnf snxr