Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+][TI-82][TI-83] HoustonTracker 2 on-calc music editor

Started by utz, October 06, 2015, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Is TilEm sound much better than WabbitEmu by the way? Because I'll probably stick to WabbitEmu if there isn't much of an improvement, as it seemed to do the job well for my song.

Also good luck Utz on the savestate manager. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

you can compare here the same tune with the 3 versions, real TI, tilem and wabbitemu:

http://garvalf.online.fr/index.php?page=z80_archeocat_vs_cybercat

the real TI version is slower and lower. I wonder if it's because I should have full charged batteries in it? (they should be ok, maybe half charged)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, that's strange. From experience, emulators were always a tad slower for me, not the other way around. Perhaps because my calc is older (older 84+ models tend to have a slightly lower clock speed than newer ones)? Also, for people recording from their calc, some sound cards or cable setups will add extra noise or reduce sound quality a lot (in my case, weird stuff usually happens when sound stops). Make sure guys to disable noise reduction and bass boost.

@garvalf do you think you could help me figure out how to separate channels, such as having channel 1 play left, channel 2 play in the middle and other times channel 1 playing right? Because I just can't figure out the guide for that part >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

it seems clear from there: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=758.msg23729#msg23729

channel 1 play left => add 2 (in hexadecimal)
channel 2 play in the middle => add 0 (but if you want to separate, play channel 2 right as well: add 4)
channel 3 right => add 10
drum right => add 40

then 2 + 4 + 10 + 40 = 0x56 => use command 156 at the beginning of your song.

and other times channel 1 playing right => add 1
ch 2 left => add 8
ch 3 left => add 20
drum left => add 80

1 + 8 + 20 + 80 in hex = A9

then use command 1A9
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

DarkestEx

@utz would you maybe make a small chiptune program for the microcat. That would be either written in C, C#, Java or Lua.
It would be awesome to have such a program made by you having so much experience when it comes to chiptune music ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

garvalf

To help the calculation for the value when you need to do panning, I made this little naive javascript page:

http://garvalf.online.fr/temp/ht2_panning.html

it's working, but there is a problem if the value goes above or is equal to 100, then it won't display correctly (102 instead of A2 for example). I tried to use native hexadecimal values in the js code, but it doesn't seem it works like that, and it was even worse. So in the end I just hard coded the values above 99. I'm not particularly proud of this, but it seems to work.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: garvalf on October 21, 2015, 11:37:05 AM
it seems clear from there: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=758.msg23729#msg23729

channel 1 play left => add 2 (in hexadecimal)
channel 2 play in the middle => add 0 (but if you want to separate, play channel 2 right as well: add 4)
channel 3 right => add 10
drum right => add 40

then 2 + 4 + 10 + 40 = 0x56 => use command 156 at the beginning of your song.

and other times channel 1 playing right => add 1
ch 2 left => add 8
ch 3 left => add 20
drum left => add 80

1 + 8 + 20 + 80 in hex = A9

then use command 1A9

Yeah that's how it's explained in the readme and it's just Chinese to me. I have an hard time working with split numbers and binary >.<

I'll try the tool you posted in your other post.

EDIT: Nevermind, my song sounds just like crap when using multiple channels, so I'll stick to just one. >.<

EDIT: @utz I found a bug: If you set the song to loop at row 44, it will loop back from 04 instead.

utz

@DJ Omnimaga: Ah, I noticed earlier that there was some problem with looping, but couldn't reproduce it. Thanks for reporting, I'll be looking into it asap.
Update: Bug found and eliminated in trunk.

@garvalf: Hehe cool, I'll link that in the manual, too.

@DarkestEx: Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid that won't be possible. I don't know any hi-level languages save for a few bits of Perl and even less C++, and I've already got a stack of projects racked up that's gonna last me for at least another 3 years. And even a small chiptune program is no trivial task.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to hear. Thankfully my song worked fine despite the bug but it was happening when I set the loop point very late in the song, which was a tad annoying when I wanted to only loop through the last part of the song during composing. :P

Do you plan to put this on ticalc.org by the way? It would probably have a good chance at winning a POTY or have an high score. It would need demo tracks included, though, to convince people.

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note @utz , do you still plan to work on this in the near future and add new features/improvements and do you still plan to cross-post the highlights here?

I also listened to the demo track again on Soundcloud and still don't get how you managed to get such clean note panning from left to right. In my song, all I got was static.

utz

Yes, absolutely. I've been working on this quite a bit in the past weeks, and the first test build for the upcoming 2.1 release has now been distributed to the beta testers. As I'll be busy with other things in December, I expect HT2.1 will be out some time in January. In any case, of course I'll post the latest updates here.

Hmm, wonder why the panning doesn't work for you. I mean, sound output inevitably gets a tad more noisy when using stereo panning, but it shouldn't go all static on you, even if you entered some invalid parameters. If you want drop me the 8xp file somewhere, so I can analyze what's going on.

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to read :), also perhaps for the panning I was entering  wrong parameters, but I am sure I tried them all one by one, neither giving decent results. I'll try to make a modified version of my song later then send you the file.

utz

Good news everyone, version 2.10 is here! Features a more powerful sound routine, several new effects, better keyhandling, and of course various bugfixes. For full details, check the original post in this thread.

download HT v2.10
new demo tune

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome. :D Does One Axe to Save us All work in this new version?

EDIT: I listened to the new demo track and am amazed at all the effects that can be used in it. If only the calculator was fast enough to allow HT music to be used inside simple games (eg RPGs where only 1 sprite moves around at a time with no scrolling). So few calc games use music.

utz

Songs from 2.00 won't work out-of-the-box in 2.10. I've got a little PC tool in the works for converting/upgrading savestates, though.

In theory, 6 MHz is enough to do some simple gfx along with music. I mean, even in HT2 you can edit stuff while the music is running (with some delays during keypresses though). It's just that the HT2 player is not very useful in that regard, because it happily uses all the registers and a lot of RAM. There are also some synthesis methods that demand much less CPU time, which would be better suited for in-game music.