Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Juju's PICO-8 projects

Started by Yuki, June 04, 2016, 03:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

If you check PICO-8's built-in splore tool, you might notice I posted a few stuff there:

PICO-83
An attempt to bring the TI-83+ to PICO-8. So far Output() works.
http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3537

pet the dog!!!!!!!!!!
Based on this thing, which in turn is based on Undertale.
http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3542
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice to see you doing PICO-8 stuff, especially since you know Lua. :) I am curious about what you will come up with with the PICO-83 thing. Also lol at Pet the Dog. Is there a goal in the game or is it like Desert Bus and Level up by Walking around? :P

Good luck with future PICO-8 projects. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Eh, been a while I played with PICO-8, picked it back up yesterday while bored. PICO-83 is pretty much a proof of concept while, well, there's no goal in Pet the dog other than petting the dog.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I see. I am curious about how feasible it would be to port LOVE 2D games to PICO-8 with smaller sprites if they are simple... Supersonic Ball would definitively be cool

Of course it would have much fewer colors, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Of course it would.

Oh, also, a window manager GUI in PICO-8, because why not.
http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3980
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I actually like how it looks like. By the way I am curious if GIFs produced by PICO-8 capture thing (whatever it is) are big in size or if they're smaller than their calculator counterparts? I notice that they're much smoother overall.

Do you plan to do something with this Window manager, by the way?

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 01, 2016, 05:41:31 PM
I actually like how it looks like. By the way I am curious if GIFs produced by PICO-8 capture thing (whatever it is) are big in size or if they're smaller than their calculator counterparts? I notice that they're much smoother overall.
Dunno, I made a short one and it's about 300K.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 01, 2016, 05:41:31 PM
Do you plan to do something with this Window manager, by the way?
No. Not yet, anyway.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm that's quite big O.O but I guess it's handy when a website lacks video embedding support

garvalf

Nice WM juju, I like that. It's very smooth too (thank you new 60 fps mode)

The pico-8 gif export is not optimised at all, but it's easy to load the exported gif into GIMP, then use the "optimise gif" tool which will reduce it by a factor of 8 or 10.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Yuki

Update: Turned it into a module, added title bars and the ability to resize windows.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Ivoah

Quote from: Juju on August 01, 2016, 05:37:41 PM
Of course it would.

Oh, also, a window manager GUI in PICO-8, because why not.
http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3980
I saw this on twitter, looks nice! It could make a nice UI for a "hacking" game or something.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, does it require any dependencies? I didn't know PICO-8 had mouse support before. Also this could be handy for other people I think. Maybe this should be split into a PICO-8 Window Manager topic for more visibility and addition to download section?

Also you should add options that allows people to hide title bars or icons or even disable drag and drop. That could be handy if for example someone was to use this in a JRPG and didn't want the mouse stuff.

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 02, 2016, 04:29:30 AM
By the way, does it require any dependencies? I didn't know PICO-8 had mouse support before. Also this could be handy for other people I think. Maybe this should be split into a PICO-8 Window Manager topic for more visibility and addition to download section?

Also you should add options that allows people to hide title bars or icons or even disable drag and drop. That could be handy if for example someone was to use this in a JRPG and didn't want the mouse stuff.
PICO-8 doesn't "officially" have mouse support. Somebody found out that by poking the right values in memory, you could read the mouse position and button state.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh rofl, so someone hacked PICO-8? Or is it just by using pointers or something like some stuff we could do in Axe?

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 02, 2016, 04:33:55 AM
Oh rofl, so someone hacked PICO-8? Or is it just by using pointers or something like some stuff we could do in Axe?
Pointers and stuff.