Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Calculator forum confusion

Started by Ephraim Becker, March 24, 2015, 01:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephraim Becker

I'm very confused of the many calculator forums and why a lot of users have accounts on multiple forums. It gives me a headache and confusion of why all those calculator forums (Cemetech, Omnimaga, Codewalrus, TI-Planet, Ect.) can't be merged into one. Can someone please clear this confusion up for me?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

Yuki

Those forums have way different goals and don't exactly have the same mindset. Some forums were also founded because of some differends between admins.

Cemetech does more hardware, Omnimaga is more into games, TI-Planet is French and is more into education and CodeWalrus is, well, more of a chill place.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Ephraim Becker

It would be nice if it would all be merged so no one will have to post things more than once on multiple forums.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII

Dream of Omnimaga

The reason why there are multiple forums is because each group of users have different mentalities and each forum got different rules. CodeWalrus is stricter on certain things while it's less strict on others. Same for the two other sites.

The only way to satisfy everybody is to have multiple forums ran by different people. If we merged every site, then that new big site would crumble under endless series of flame wars between people and people leaving the entire TI community, which would harm the TI community rather than helping it.  Some people just can't get along or won't fit at all together. The opening of CodeWalrus, for example, almost completely eliminated all drama that Omnimaga had about their 2012-14 change in policies between users and admins and now they are rebuilding with new users joining under the new policies.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

That's the point of having different forums, say you hate one of the sites, or worse, you're banned, instead of leaving the community because there's no place to go you can simply go somewhere else who have a different point of view, or even different rules. Think of different neighboring countries. The TI community is one big family where the population know each other, but with a few independent countries with their own rules and a lot of diplomatic ties between them.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Ephraim Becker

But why do a lot of users have a Cemetech, Omnimaga, and a Codewalrus account?

pimathbrainiac

Because that's the user's choice.

The forums aren't merging. Period.
Well, I'm bach here too!

novenary

By the way even though activity it pretty calc-centric, CodeWalrus isn't dedicated to calcs compared to the other forums.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on March 24, 2015, 01:24:00 PMThe forums aren't merging. Period.

^This. A merger is not going to happen no matter if you ask the same question 100 times.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Imagine each site as a country. Each one has its culture, its history, its people. If we would merge, we could lose multiple things : the "rivality" which could push some people to program/contribute more and the "identity" which is the way we feel belongign to something or somewhere. These merges won't happen neither because some issues between memebers could provoke multiple drama like what happened before (I still remember the "Helder Sucks" from Casio Kingdom...) and because each forum is like a family where each one has its own directions and rules. YOu can't easily blend two communities together, that would be like trying to blend PS4 gamers and XBox gamers, they are talking about the same things, videogames, but not the same support. Thus even so they have a common point, they can't easily share ech other because their incompatibility would clash and much more rivality would appear.

I'm asking you nicely to stop trying to make all the forums merge. That won't happen and if it were to happen, it would need everyone's opinion and agreement. I'm sorry but it just won't happen.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

TIfanx1999

Eiyeron makes a good comparison with countries. As to why users have accounts on multiple forums, that's simple. To be able to keep up with all the different projects. Some things have a home on one site, while others are primarily (or soley posted on another). It allows people to keep up with the community as a whole.

Dream of Omnimaga

Plus I can't see how easy forum merging would be when three of them actually split into half in the first place in the last few years.

Yuki

Welp, I did the same comparaison with countries, but the message didn't sent for some reason... ._.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on March 24, 2015, 08:30:54 PM
Welp, I did the same comparaison with countries, but the message didn't sent for some reason... ._.

I thought it did in your previous post? (although smaller)

Quote from: Juju on March 24, 2015, 02:49:27 AM
That's the point of having different forums, say you hate one of the sites, or worse, you're banned, instead of leaving the community because there's no place to go you can simply go somewhere else who have a different point of view, or even different rules. Think of different neighboring countries. The TI community is one big family where the population know each other, but with a few independent countries with their own rules and a lot of diplomatic ties between them.

Yuki

Oh right, I did, I must be tired.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN