Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Contests discussion (split thread)

Started by Unicorn, April 04, 2015, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Quote from: Quebec laws, chapter L-6, r. 6
Rules respecting publicity contests

An Act respecting lotteries, publicity contests and amusement machines
(chapter L-6, s. 20)

1.  These Rules do not apply to publicity contests where the total value of the prizes offered does not exceed $2,000, with the exception of sections 5 and 6 that apply to all publicity contests in which the total value of the prizes exceeds $100.

Decision 82-08-02, s. 1; M.O. 98-12-03, s. 1.
Source: http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=3&file=/L_6/L6R6_A.HTM

Quote from: Lois du Gouvernement du Québec, chapter L-6
AN ACT RESPECTING LOTTERIES, PUBLICITY CONTESTS AND AMUSEMENT MACHINES

CHAPTER I
DEFINITIONS

1. In this Act, and in the regulations and rules hereunder, unless the context indicates otherwise,
[...]
(b) "publicity contest" means a contest, a lottery scheme, a game, a plan or an operation which results in the awarding of a prize, carried on for the object of promoting the commercial interests of the person for whom it is carried on;
[...]

58. A person for whom a publicity contest is carried on in which the total value of the prizes offered exceeds $100 must pay to the board, at the same time as he sends the form provided for in section 59, the following duties:

(a) 10% of the value of a prize offered to contestants from Québec exclusively;

(b) 3% of the value of a prize offered to a group of contestants from Canada exclusively, when that group includes contestants from Québec;

(c) 0.5% of the value of a prize offered to any other group of contestants including contestants from Québec.

1978, c. 36, s. 58.
Source: http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=2&file=/L_6/L6_A.html

So yeah, the law only seems to apply to publicity contests where the total value of the prize exceeds $100. CodeWalrus is not a company and does not pursue any commercial interest (as far as I know, well, the contest does not aim to promote whatever we would eventually want to sell) and the prize is below $100. I'm no lawyer, but you're welcome.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, I thought there was no minimum. I knew that above a certain amount  the restrictions were higher, though. As for commercial interests, CW used to sell music, and while it's now available for free, it's still possible to pay for it in the same fashion as Humble Bundle, not to mention the possibility of CW merch in the future, so maybe that could be a gray area.

I guess this means that if we ever hold a bigger contest, we will just make the total prize value $100 (or $99.99?) CAD max :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

At least redisdents of Quebec will now be able to participate, right?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

That's pretty cool if we could allow Canadians to participate! Nice finding Juju.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 18, 2015, 08:51:10 AM
At least redisdents of Quebec will now be able to participate, right?
Yup. Very big contests are the only ones that could pose problems.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Well that won't be a problem for now :)

Dream of Omnimaga

So the contest should normally start on April 28th or 29th and the deadline will be May 31st. Winners will be determined via a survey and judges. Judges have yet to be determined and positions will be offered near the end, but contest participants will obviously not be able to judge. CodeWalrus staff and part-time maintenance staff will not be allowed to participate, for impartiality reasons, although they will be allowed to judge if they desire. The judging results will be posted once voting is over.

Your entry will have to be compatible with at least one of the following platforms:
Windows 7
Android
Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Safari/IE11 (if you make a web-based entry)
TI-81/82/+/Stats/83/Premium/+/84+/SE/CSE/CE/85/86/89/92/Nspire
Casio FX-7000G/9750GII/9860G/fx-CG10/20/CP400
HP 39gII/Prime

The submission of a TI-83 Premium CE/TI-84 Plus CE entry that isn't pure TI-BASIC could result into contest judging delays, as I do not own the calculator yet.

Contestants will be required to make a topic about their project on the CodeWalrus forums. Cross-posting is allowed of course.

Since many CodeWalrus members are under 18, the prize will be digital and in the form of a Steam, iTunes or Amazon gift card. Only entries that were started after April 29th will be eligible, although re-using past code or graphics is fine. Team projects will be allowed, but then the prize would be split up between the entry authors (eg if there are three, then each winner would receive a $10 gift card instead of one person receiving a $30 gift card). We will not be held responsible about any issue that might occur between authors of team projects if such project win.

Entries will be judged mainly on creativity, with a few bonus points for originality, gameplay and if the file size/speed/install process is reasonable for the type of game/platform/language used. This is not a programming skills competition, but rather a creativity one.

The contest theme will be made public on April 28th or 29th. Once it's out, feel free to share with your friends and other people who might be interested in a little game making challenge.

Snektron

Awesome! Can't wait :D

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 26, 2015, 07:28:53 AM
Contestants will be required to make a topic about their project on the CodeWalrus forums. Cross-posting is allowed of course.
Maybe it's a good idea to make a specific sub forum for it?

%exitement%

Dream of Omnimaga

I might create a sub-forum, but it doesn't guarantee that the topics in it will always remain there (eg if a very good program comes out)

Also, three other contest rules: Participants will be forced to include either a .txt readme explaining the controls (and how to play if needed) of their game or at least include the controls in the first post of their CodeWalrus project topic. This includes TI-Nspire entries.

Another rule is that all entries will be made publicly available when voting starts. Also people will not be able to release their entry until voting starts.

Unicorn

OOOO OOOOO OOOO!!!!!

I can't wait!

Ugh, we have to wait 2 days... :(
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

Quote from: Unicorn on April 26, 2015, 07:31:53 PM
OOOO OOOOO OOOO!!!!!

I can't wait!

Ugh, we have to wait 2 days... :(
@Unicorn, @DJ Omnimaga: Wait, when does the contest now officially start?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

contest should normally start on April 28th or 29th and the deadline will be May 31st
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it was April 30th at first, but then I realized I had work so I will launch it during one of my two free days.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 26, 2015, 04:37:05 PM
I might create a sub-forum, but it doesn't guarantee that the topics in it will always remain there (eg if a very good program comes out)

Also, three other contest rules: Participants will be forced to include either a .txt readme explaining the controls (and how to play if needed) of their game or at least include the controls in the first post of their CodeWalrus project topic. This includes TI-Nspire entries.

Another rule is that all entries will be made publicly available when voting starts. Also people will not be able to release their entry until voting starts.
Soo you cant use existing projects
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Strontium

Contest? I want to participate in a contest! I don't actually understand what the contest is after reading this thread, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES