Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The Most Important Languages

Started by SiphonicSugar, November 17, 2016, 03:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiphonicSugar

Hey everyone! Could everyone post a top 3 list of programming languages that they think is the most important and why?

:thumbsup:

Also, could you make a list of the spoken languages that you think are the most important? (not computer ones)
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

xMarminq_

Coding or Spoken Languages?  :P
JK
I'd say C++, because it is versatile and easy to code (from what iv'e heard)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

SiphonicSugar

OH, I meant spoken.  ;) Should have been more clear.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad

MateoConLechuga

English, Spanish, and Swedish.

xMarminq_

>:D
Read first Mateo
(Not laughing at mistake but pointing it out)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

SiphonicSugar

Lol, keep programming, but also add spoken languages...  :P

Yuki

For programming:

C/C++
PHP
JavaScript

For actual languages:

English
French
Japanese
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

In my opinion, the best and most important language is C.
It's widely used, it's fairly simple, very fast and very portable, more so than any programming language out-there.
The second one might be C++ but for me, it's a pretty bad "improvement" to C.
And my third pick would be Javascript.
It is internally completely different to C but it has a very similar syntax to it so i still approve it.

As for spoken languages... i would have to agree with juju here.
It's obvious English is the winner here.
In my opinion, it's a better international language than Esperanto ever was, for numerous reasons.
(Notably the complete lack of swear words... lol)

Everything else is probably going to be biased.
French is not the best language and it can get quite complicated.

As for Japanese, i appreciate the numerous video games written in japanese but as a language, it is just overly complicated.
Learning the giant clusterc of japanese characters alone is a nightmare.
Like Vietnamese, they should switch to using the latin alphabet and use Rōmaji.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

c4ooo

Spoken:

Chinese
English
Spanish

Programming:

Asm / C
C / C++ / java / C# etc.
HTML+JS+CSS

Yuki

Quote from: gameblabla on November 17, 2016, 05:18:39 AM
(Notably the complete lack of swear words... lol)
I'm gonna tell you, Canadian French has the best swear words. Tabarnak.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Unicorn

For programming: C, Ruby, Ruby, MOAR Ruby, TI-BASIC, Javascript, Ruby, Python, and did I mention RUBY?
As you can see, in this graph of something no one knows what but we all pretend we doyou can see that ruby is clearly greater.

J/K, C is probably the best, THO RUBY IS VALUABLE (and GEMLIKE)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

p2

about spoken languages: I wonder why so few people in europe learn mandarin while it's suc an important language thinking globally...
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Snektron

Programming languages:
C - widely used, basically father of most modern languages (would Ada be the mother then? :P)
Java - You can hate or love Java, but you gotta admit HotSpot (the official jvm) is impressive.
Z80 - I just like Z80 :P (and where would we be without the Z80 cpu?)

Spoken languages:
English is pretty global, next to Spanish and French. The problem is English is way more popular in rich countries.
Also good ol' dutch, but thats not an important language...

Quote from: p2 on November 23, 2016, 10:33:11 AM
about spoken languages: I wonder why so few people in europe learn mandarin while it's suc an important language thinking globally...
because its hard

Quote from: Unicorn on November 17, 2016, 05:55:40 AM
For programming: C, Ruby, Ruby, MOAR Ruby, TI-BASIC, Javascript, Ruby, Python, and did I mention RUBY?
As you can see, in this graph of something no one knows what but we all pretend we doyou can see that ruby is clearly greater.

J/K, C is probably the best, THO RUBY IS VALUABLE (and GEMLIKE)

Since when is Java slower than Ruby? I bet this chart must be very old :P

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Java has severe dependency problems, tho (requires one different version of java installl per program sometimes, and your java install sometimes vanishes from your PC for no reason)

As for higher level languages, they might not be as important as C, but their importance sometimes lie in introducing people into programming.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Just want to point out many of the posters so far have specified MORE than 3 languages. At least 3 of them so far  (-_(//));
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk